Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
TSTR
Next-Gen

Re: Ultimate NES replacement?

by TSTR Fri May 09, 2014 2:52 pm

FWIW, the amount of butthurt this thing is causing all over the internet is hilarious—from a parody Twitter account to all the "Famicaust" images floating around. I can't help but laugh at how mad some folks are getting over this.

Do your thing, Chris. The machine looks really slick, and I'm sure those that buy it will enjoy it.
route20
8-bit

by route20 Fri May 09, 2014 6:05 pm

christoph wrote:@route20 99.9% of people have no idea what an "NESRGB" is.

99% of people have no idea what Unix is but Apple proudly advertises it's operating systems are built on it, and explains why they think that's good. It's not hard to simplify things like that while still being honest about whats in your product.

TSTR wrote:butthurt

Just because you don't have the same concerns as others doesn't invalidate them. This is a pretty immature way to look at things don't you think?

EDIT:

I didn't see the question until yesterday on shmups.

Convenient that, after preoders have already started. Despite plenty of people asking that question plenty of times in all the prerelease hype threads you started and participated in. Seems like an advanced case of selective memory. Would you like me to refresh it?
Last edited by route20 on Fri May 09, 2014 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Fri May 09, 2014 6:09 pm

route20 wrote:
christoph wrote:@route20 99.9% of people have no idea what an "NESRGB" is. I didn't see the question until yesterday on shmups.

99% of people have no idea what Unix is but Apple proudly advertises it's operating systems are built on it, and explains why they think that's good. It's not hard to simplify things like that while still being honest about whats in your product.

Just because you don't have the same concerns as others doesn't invalidate them. This is a pretty immature way to look at things don't you think?

It is marketing. He wasn't dishonest with it, but had to explain why those not in the know would want it. Don't like it? Don't buy it.
route20
8-bit

by route20 Fri May 09, 2014 6:16 pm

Jmustang1968 wrote:
route20 wrote:
christoph wrote:@route20 99.9% of people have no idea what an "NESRGB" is. I didn't see the question until yesterday on shmups.

It is marketing. He wasn't dishonest with it, but had to explain why those not in the know would want it. Don't like it? Don't buy it.

Why am I being shouted down for asking questions/voicing concerns about a product I'm considering buying? Let the maker of the product answer. Isn't that what this thread's for? He seems to complain a lot about getting run off other forums, but any time someone dare voice concern some people come out and trivialize it. Very strange.
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Fri May 09, 2014 7:16 pm

Jmustang1968 wrote:It is marketing. He wasn't dishonest with it, but had to explain why those not in the know would want it. Don't like it? Don't buy it.

Nice. A video game forum, and a member advertising a video game item, is apparently the wrong place to ask questions about said advertisement for said video game item. Sound logic.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Fri May 09, 2014 7:42 pm

mjmjr25 wrote:
Jmustang1968 wrote:It is marketing. He wasn't dishonest with it, but had to explain why those not in the know would want it. Don't like it? Don't buy it.

Nice. A video game forum, and a member advertising a video game item, is apparently the wrong place to ask questions about said advertisement for said video game item. Sound logic.

Never said it was the wrong place, where are you even getting that from? I answered his question by saying the way it was described was marketing. But it is what it is, and the conspiracy theory/ shady accusations just don't seem warranted.
route20
8-bit

by route20 Fri May 09, 2014 7:55 pm

Jmustang1968 wrote:
mjmjr25 wrote:

Never said it was the wrong place, where are you even getting that from? I answered his question by saying the way it was described was marketing. But it is what it is, and the conspiracy theory/ shady accusations just don't seem warranted.

I think companies should be upfront and honest about their products, from day one, particularly when the audience they're targeting (people who would spend $500 on a NES) probably knows more about this sort of thing than the average joe who would take just a single look at the thing and say "that's idiotic" and move on. Their ad copy makes it out to be some kind of revolutionary device that's never been seen before and brushing that off as "just marketing" is disingenuous and not helpful to anybody. Marketing should always be questioned, particularly by it's target. The less the game community proves itself to be willing victims of fraud, the less it will happen. Do you want a reputation like the audiophiles have?
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Fri May 09, 2014 8:03 pm

route20 wrote:
I think companies should be upfront and honest about their products, from day one, particularly when the audience they're targeting (people who would spend $500 on a NES) probably knows more about this sort of thing than the average joe who would take just a single look at the thing and say "that's idiotic" and move on. Their ad copy makes it out to be some kind of revolutionary device that's never been seen before and brushing that off as "just marketing" is disingenuous and not helpful to anybody. Marketing should always be questioned, particularly by it's target. The less the game community proves itself to be willing victims of fraud, the less it will happen. Do you want a reputation like the audiophiles have?

I see it as much to do about nothing. It basically is what it was described to be initially. The big sticking point is either price or the harvesting of famicoms. Your issue seems to be the latter.

But yeah, that's what marketing is, to make their item sound appealing. I didn't see any lies in the marketing. There is fraud going on? what?
route20
8-bit

by route20 Fri May 09, 2014 8:08 pm

Jmustang1968 wrote:I see it as much to do about nothing. It basically is what it was described to be initially. The big sticking point is either price or the harvesting of famicoms. Your issue seems to be the latter.

But yeah, that's what marketing is, to make their item sound appealing. I didn't see any lies in the marketing. There is fraud going on? what?

If it is not a big deal to you then why not either take your own advice and buy it (or not) instead of trying to make the concerns of others seem insignificant?
MrPopo

by MrPopo Fri May 09, 2014 8:11 pm

route20 wrote:
Jmustang1968 wrote:I see it as much to do about nothing. It basically is what it was described to be initially. The big sticking point is either price or the harvesting of famicoms. Your issue seems to be the latter.

If it is not a big deal to you then why not either take your own advice and buy it (or not) instead of trying to make the concerns of others seem insignificant?

Why are you trying to shout down his opinion?
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Return to Old-School Gaming News