Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
route20
8-bit

Re: Ultimate NES replacement?

by route20 Sat May 10, 2014 10:50 am

dsheinem wrote:
route20 wrote:
dsheinem wrote:Company that specializes in specialty high-end consumer electronics sells cables at inflated prices. News at 11.

FOAD already with your bullshit skepticism.

Hey mind explaining what makes it high end?

The fact that they are custom units that are hand made and assembled, for starters. The fact that they output much higher-end audio and video for 30 year old video games than their original systems, for another.

I think what you fail to grasp is that this is a specialty product for a specialty audience, being sold at prices that are found in similar kinds of products across the audiophile/videophile spectrum. A closer analogy that is game related might be MAME cabs: no company that sells MAME cabinets does so at cost or even close, instead they are charging for hours of labor and a professional build with (hopefully) good components.

It is insulting that you'd come in here just to bash something that you have no intention of buying and that you clearly don't understand is a product being sold to make profit for those involved in its creation. (And, for the record, I don't plan to buy one either.) Your endless bitching for shits and giggles isn't the kind of thing that we really like on this forum, regardless of who or what it is about. If you have any intention of staying, you should know that now. If your only reason for being here is just to chime in on this product with stupid fucking "arguments" than please see yourself out before, perhaps, someone does it for you.

Please, it's a Famicom and a NESRGB in a wack case, not some amazing high tech masterwork. Is expressing concern about the motives of the people behind the Analogue NT a bannable offense here? Not sure I saw that in the rules. Please tell me what I'm doing that's violating the rules so I can stop, I don't want to get banned.
route20
8-bit

by route20 Sat May 10, 2014 10:56 am

Why aren't any of the people (completely rightfully) shitting all over the Retron 5 in it's thread being threatened to be banned?
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Sat May 10, 2014 11:00 am

route20 wrote:Please, it's a Famicom and a NESRGB in a wack case, not some amazing high tech masterwork. Is expressing concern about the motives of the people behind the Analogue NT a bannable offense here? Not sure I saw that in the rules. Please tell me what I'm doing that's violating the rules so I can stop, I don't want to get banned.

You wanted an nesrgb did you not? So if it is nothing special, why havent you made one yourself? You keep talking about these 'motives'. What motives does he have beyond making and selling a customized retro-gaming product.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sat May 10, 2014 11:01 am

route20 wrote:
Please, it's a Famicom and a NESRGB in a wack case, not some amazing high tech masterwork. Is expressing concern about the motives of the people behind the Analogue NT a bannable offense here? Not sure I saw that in the rules. Please tell me what I'm doing that's violating the rules so I can stop, I don't want to get banned.

Considering that you are dealing with an item being sold by a member, I think the following would apply:
6. Do not post the following in someone else's thread:
A) your own items for sale
B) your negative opinion of the seller, their products, or their prices
C) tangential discussion
D) links to A, B, or C

And then this:

No personal insults. Direct personal insult of another member, i.e., "You are an idiot." and all the variations. Why? Because this isn't grade school.
Bottom line -- don't try to tick off others.

Given that you are openly accusing Chris of scamming, I'd say that you are treading close to this one too.

And considering a nice condition working Famicom can easily cost $100 on eBay, considering that an NESRGB kit runs $100 or so shipped from the store that sells them (where RGB cables are $29, by the way), and that the case and other hardware/parts must add up to at least ~$50 or so, then I don't see a problem with them charging an extra couple hundred for all their work making the units, time spent advertising it, etc. That isn't atypical for any specialty electronics.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Sat May 10, 2014 11:02 am

route20 wrote:Why aren't any of the people (completely rightfully) shitting all over the Retron 5 in it's thread being threatened to be banned?

We aren't questioning hyperkin's 'motives' nor are we calling them scammers.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sat May 10, 2014 11:06 am

route20 wrote:Why aren't any of the people (completely rightfully) shitting all over the Retron 5 in it's thread being threatened to be banned?

The difference is that you came here to attack a particular person who is a member here, not just a faceless company or their product. If we had a member of Hyperkin here I'd think we'd be a bit more cordial to them in how we ask questions about the product, and we certainly wouldn't openly accuse them of "scamming" etc.
route20
8-bit

by route20 Sat May 10, 2014 11:27 am

You know what guys, if you're cool with not calling out a dude trying to sell you a $29 S-video cable because he's a member (who is only here to sell you stuff) of the forum, then who am I to judge. I honestly was not aware sale thread rules applied outside that forum, but hey I'm new here. I don't think I will be able to prevent myself from saying hurtful things about the poor little CEO or the product he designed to cash in on the ~retro craze~, so please preemptively ban me so his feelings don't get hurt anymore. Be sure to delete all my posts here because he might come across them and have a nervous breakdown because it's hurt him so much (don't worry I've archived the thread for posting everywhere and laughing at posterity). It's good to know racketboy.com always looks out for the little guy :lol:
Zing
Next-Gen

by Zing Sat May 10, 2014 11:41 am

I don't know what happened here, as I only read the (mostly) good parts.

This thing is great. If I were having consistent troubles getting actual hardware to work, I'd buy it. I have no quibble with the price. It's high, but we are looking at hardware that looks great, works flawlessly, and will last. Factor in four controller ports, famicom support, easy selection of video output, and I'm convinced it has real value.

Hell, I'm almost convincing myself to preorder one!
Fragems
Next-Gen

by Fragems Sat May 10, 2014 11:43 am

@route20

You made an account to specifically badger a person so good riddance. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Last edited by Fragems on Sat May 10, 2014 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Sat May 10, 2014 11:43 am

Obvious troll account is obvious.

inb4 banhammer
Return to Old-School Gaming News