Ultimate NES replacement?

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
christoph
Next-Gen

Re: Ultimate NES replacement?

Post by christoph »

@ninjainspandex naww it's all good! In regards to the design - at the very beginning, we were faced with the decision of making a boxy / copy of the original - or going in our entirely own direction. We decided to go in our own direction.

We have absolutely nothing to do with Viletim being sold out of his PCBs.

@ Ziggy587 The power button on the back is power and reset button in one, you hold it for about a second to power off and briefly press it to reset.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

christoph wrote:@ Ziggy587 The power button on the back is power and reset button in one, you hold it for about a second to power off and briefly press it to reset.

There's some things that require the actual reset button to be held. The PowerPak needs the reset button to be held for ~5 seconds in order to back up the save data to the CF card. And IIRC, the N8 requires this too for FDS saves. Also, for NES carts with save data, the reset button should be held while powering off to prevent SRAM corruption. From what I understand, holding reset down prevents the CPU from writing to the SRAM.

How are these things accomplished with the combo power/reset button on the Analog NT ?
christoph
Next-Gen

Post by christoph »

There is a pinhole reset button on the system too - exactly for the unique instances you listed. Although I do know it is questionable in regards to the entire power / reset button and NES Saves thing. Either way, it's there in case anybody wants to use it.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Christoph, you seem to take criticism very well. That's very respectable. A lot of guys would just respond with anger, defending themselves. Or just ignore the comments and not respond at all.

I don't recall if we've ever had any one on one in the past, so I'm not sure how well you might know me from this forum alone. I just want you to know that I really dig what you're doing. Some what jealous, in fact, as this is the sort of thing I'm into as well. I've thought about similar projects in the past, so I know what it takes from a monetary standpoint. And Lord knows that I know what kind of time investment such projects take.

Anyways, just take any negative comments I might have as friendly criticism. I don't meant to bash you or the Analong NT in anyway. Overall, I think it looks pretty cool.

christoph wrote:There is a pinhole reset button on the system too - exactly for the unique instances you listed. Although I do know it is questionable in regards to the entire power / reset button and NES Saves thing. Either way, it's there in case anybody wants to use it.

It's only questionable because it's something that doesn't always happen with normal use. But I mean, Nintendo didn't put that warning on every cart that has save data for no reason.

They even went out of their way to use a gold label instead of the normal grey, to draw attention to it. I'll admit, for the years that I've been gaming on the NES, I never use to hold reset while powering off and didn't think it was necessary. But after reading about why, I realize that it's just safe practice because it can happen, and better safe than sorry. If the power/reset button on the NT is actually just a power button that'll cut the power for split second to reset, and not a true reset button, then that's just like switching the power off and on repeatedly. Or, at least just once and not repeatedly, unless you for some reason want to reset multiple times in a row.

Is the true reset button that pinhole I see on the front of the console above the A ? So you need a paper clip to use it? I mean, the PowerPak and N8 are pretty popular devices these days. It's annoying enough with the PowerPak having to hold reset to back up saves. I can't imagine it being any better having to use a paper clip for that process.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

^You can buy a refurbished paper clip for $25.
christoph
Next-Gen

Post by christoph »

@Ziggy587

Hey, I totally understand where people are coming from. I have zero problem with criticism and people speaking their mind. I was well aware that the Nt would inherently be a polarizing product. I'm cool with that. It doesn't matter how many people don't 'get' something, it only matters how many do.

Oh and thanks, I appreciate the sentiment! You should move forward with your ideas!! The more people making cool stuff the better :)

I am aware of all of the details about the NES saves and the label of course. It know its a controversial topic among the NES tech guys. Threads like this go over it.

The Nt has no lockout chip and no wonky 72pin connector which are some of the things hypothesized creating the save issue.

Either way, those things don't even matter because the Nt has the Famicom style reset. The reset only resets the CPU - so this makes it a non-issue. Your saves will be safe.

I'm not sure about the powerpak, but I do know the N8 doesn't lose its saves without holding a reset on the Nt. I have both the NES and Famicom N8 and they're both chock full of saves. I've never powered down either of them with reset held.

@TSTR lol!!
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

christoph wrote:I'm not sure about the powerpak, but I do know the N8 doesn't lose its saves without holding a reset on the Nt. I have both the NES and Famicom N8 and they're both chock full of saves. I've never powered down either of them with reset held.

No, but with the PowerPak, you still have to hold reset down for ~5 seconds to back up saves to the CF card. You don't have to do this with the N8 because NES saves are backed up to the SD card automatically. However, FDS saves are not, and have to be backed up similarly to the PowerPak.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

christoph wrote:We have absolutely nothing to do with Viletim being sold out of his PCBs.

I'm Confused http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 6&start=60

Christoph wrote: Yes, the Analogue Nt uses the NESRGB.
route20
8-bit

Post by route20 »

Why destroy perfectly good hardware for this? Just because the systems are yellow doesn't mean they don't work...

EDIT: I find the way the owner of this company keeps kinda dodging around issues until they become obvious kinda shady, the RGB board thing is the same. Finding it very hard to give $500 to people who try to act slick like this, kinda makes the whole thing seem weird. The marketing copy on their website is also very strange and makes me wonder who exactly they're marketing to.

Why not be honest on the website and say "This is a Famicom with a NESRGB board in an aluminum case, you pay $500, we do all the work" instead of trying to make it seem like some revolutionary product. These sort of answers shouldn't have to be dragged out of the company owner across 5 different forums over a week. Too much smoke and mirrors here, too many weird things I've been hearing about these guys.
christoph
Next-Gen

Post by christoph »

@ziggy587 understood

@ninjainspandex - As I've said before, we don't have anything to do with their unavailability. We manufacture them ourselves. I'm sure you could ask Tim about why they are unavailable. He's probably just very busy.

@route20 99.9% of people have no idea what an "NESRGB" is. I didn't see the question until yesterday on shmups.

It's been a struggle to get replies out quickly during the first few days after the Nt was released. There are no smoke and mirrors...if you have absolutely any questions you are always welcome to email here and they will be answered directly.