Ultimate NES replacement?

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
route20
8-bit

Re: Ultimate NES replacement?

Post by route20 »

christoph wrote:Route, you're asking the same questions over and over again.

Because you haven't answered them. You were asked over and over and over, where the CPU/PPU was coming from and if the board was an NESRGB. One of these questions you answered by burying in your FAQ, on the day preorders went up and the other you answered four days later. I just want to know why you acted like that. If you're not a scammer, prove it. Responding to everything I say with "b-but you called us scammers!" isn't an answer, and if you truly did answer those questions before the product was put up for preorder then please prove it.

You say "normal people" wouldn't understand what a NESRGB is, but is grandma really the one looking to buy a $500 NES? Come on. This is a product targeted at enthusiasts and you should get on their level and dispense with the frankly insulting ad copy, because it just looks like you're trying to take advantage of their enthusiasm and willingness to drop cash on the things they love. It makes people who play old games look like suckers.

This poor put-upon CEO act is amazing and I'm surprised people are falling for it, where have you shown any enthusiasm for anything in this hobby besides taking it's members' cash? Making it seem as if N-G.com is the only place with a problem with this device is very clever, but the vast majority of forums where this has been shilled have met it with a less than positive, and sometimes outright hostile reception. The only places that seem truly enthusiastic are news outlets for some reason. I understand the moderation here is all great pals with you, and I'm sure you've provided them with many "services", perhaps that influences the culture here. Either way it's pretty clear that the crowd here doesn't care for what I have to say, so I'll leave you guys to it :D
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

route20 wrote:One of these questions you answered by burying in your FAQ,

How DARE he put the answer to a frequently asked question in his FAQ. I share your outrage and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
christoph
Next-Gen

Post by christoph »

Yeah... I mean, really. This conspiratorial stuff is all rooted in the madness of the neo forums.

The nature of the first teaser (minimal information) was interpreted by some as trying to keep the CPU / PPU a secret of some sort. This was not the intention - it was merely a teaser. If that information was answered, then why not just detail everything? It defeats the purpose. I don't know how else to explain this, it's very straightforward. I'm not even sure what you are getting at - but whatever it is, these allegations are entirely nonsensical since the original CPU / PPU is an extremely important part of the Nt. This is advertised bluntly all over. It was literally the starting point for the entire system.

Asking to prove someone is not a scammer with no evidence to prove they are is asking to prove a negative. There is no evidence that any business we've ever done, whatsoever has scammed anyone. That is flatly absurd. Your continued insults and mocking is uncalled for and distasteful.

I'm confused as to why your telling me what a better 'targeted' copy choice would have been. The copy wasn't written aimed primarily at the hardcore enthusiast. You and me, we don't need to be convinced about the greatness of the NES. We already know. It's aimed differently. The hardcore guys like us, we scroll straight to the tech specs or fire off an email to get the heavy details we're after.
Last edited by christoph on Sat May 10, 2014 12:55 am, edited 5 times in total.
christoph
Next-Gen

Post by christoph »

In regards to the neo forums yes, it is the only place with a problem. From the beginning to today - it's the only source that has reacted with complete madness. Anywhere else that you see hostility is mainly members or users from the neo forums.

There is no other source, whether in real life, to social media, to the gaming press that has that kind of behavior. I'm not sure if you are familiar with the neo forums. It's a website with a select group of members that derives entertainment from messing with people, typically in a rather demented manner. This is all mild compared to what is the norm on those forums.

Anyways, ultimately it's a $500 aluminum NES. It's inherently going to be meta level polarizing. I know this and if I wasn't ok with that fact...it wouldn't have been released. Those that get it do, those that don't, don't. It's all good.

There are a ton of cool NES options out there, so everybody can find something to make them happy, in every price range.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

christoph wrote:In regards to the neo forums yes, it is the only place with a problem. From the beginning to today - it's the only source that has reacted with complete madness. Anywhere else that you see hostility is mainly members or users from the neo forums.

From what I've seen, the people on the Neo forums hate everyone and everybody. Somehow they have more vitriol than 4chan.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
christoph
Next-Gen

Post by christoph »

Yes...I'd have to agree with you. It is literally the 4chan of the gaming world. Unfortunately it really is only a small group of people...the majority of people there are really decent and great. I've made a ton of friends there.
route20
8-bit

Post by route20 »

I wish you good luck selling the video game equivalent of gold plated HDMI cables while destroying perfectly good systems to do it. Such an act totally deserves to be responded to in a serious and thoughtful manner instead of disdain and mockery. How confused I was :cry:

I'm gonna go buy an extended warranty at Best Buy to atone for my sins.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

route20 wrote:I wish you good luck selling the video game equivalent of gold plated HDMI cables while destroying perfectly good systems to do it. Such an act totally deserves to be responded to in a serious and thoughtful manner instead of disdain and mockery. How confused I was :cry:

I'm gonna go buy an extended warranty at Best Buy to atone for my sins.

The other stuff aside, some of the famicom parts are being salvaged. So, of the millions of these sold, and he chops up a few thousand, is it really making a dent? These would be sitting and rotting on shelves in storage anyway.

And oh yeah, I thought you said you were leaving?
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

MrPopo wrote:From what I've seen, the people on the Neo forums hate everyone and everybody. Somehow they have more vitriol than 4chan.

Well, that's just not accurate - at all. There are dozens and dozens of great folks on neo forums. I'd ask what you had seen - the drama and the rougher stuff gets hype, but that's a small part of the community and usually meant in good fun. There is a mass of friendly and helpful tech guys, collectors, family guys, professionals, etc. It's a really neat community and I'd suggest reserving judgement until after seeing all of it firsthand.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

John clued me in to this thread last night...I am trying to understand the inanity here.

route20, it seems that ultimately your two major complaints are that:

1) information you (and some others) wanted to know about the NT wasn't revealed quickly enough for your tastes

2) you are mad that a relatively small number of old Famicoms (which are often yellowed and cracked) are being destroyed to recover their boards and put to use in this new system

Is that a fair assessment? Because, if so, those are pretty fucking stupid complaints!

On point 1, it sounds like all the info you wanted was released prior to the system being released and, in fact, before pre-orders began. Maybe I'm missing something here? I don't see why anyone selling any product "owes" its customers full disclosure of all the elements and stats about its product the moment it is announced. Virtually no kind of product is marketed that way. In any case, if you expect that kind of information and then don't get it then just don't buy. No need to come be a giant douche about it.

On point 2, I don't see the issue. As was pointed out already, there are millions of Famicoms out there, many of which have languished on store shelves for decades due to their undesirable physical appearance, broken pins, wonky cables, etc. Even if the NT moved as many as 1000 units over its lifespan, there would be no shortage of Famicoms for people to buy now or in the future (there are over 250 on eBay just right now, for example).

So if you've just come here to argue these points, then feel free to GTFO. If there's something else major that I'm missing, I'd like to know what it is!