Ultimate NES replacement?

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
bchan009
8-bit

Ultimate NES replacement?

Post by bchan009 »

I don't even like the NES, but this seems pretty cool. No emulation! =)

http://analogueinteractive.com/products/analogue-nt-information
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Ultimate NES replacement?

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Looks very cool. Nice to see FDS compatibility. But I already have an NES and have pre-ordered a Retron 5.

And for $500?! I'll pass. I'm sure the wood CMVS dudes will have a field day with this, but it isn't for me.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

I still can't believe he is charging up to $50 for an NES controller.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

As I said the first time I saw this it's nice to see serious hardware clones appearing, but until they can make it affordable it's pointless for most collectors who enjoy playing on the original hardware that could be repaired or modded for a lot cheaper anyway.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Gunstar Green wrote:As I said the first time I saw this it's nice to see serious hardware clones appearing, but until they can make it affordable it's pointless for most collectors who enjoy playing on the original hardware that could be repaired or modded for a lot cheaper anyway.

Usually I would agree with you on that point, but to get RGB out of an NES you have to have a different PPU. That PPU use to be $40-50 on ebay, now it is in the $200 range:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NINTENDO-PLAYCH ... 19e0e7ba54

Granted there is the Viletim replacement:
http://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php?crn=20 ... how_detail
But thats about $120 USD shipped - $90 AUD before shipping

Factoring that in, it is still a bit high, but not super high.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

fastbilly1 wrote:
Gunstar Green wrote:As I said the first time I saw this it's nice to see serious hardware clones appearing, but until they can make it affordable it's pointless for most collectors who enjoy playing on the original hardware that could be repaired or modded for a lot cheaper anyway.

Usually I would agree with you on that point, but to get RGB out of an NES you have to have a different PPU. That PPU use to be $40-50 on ebay, now it is in the $200 range:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NINTENDO-PLAYCH ... 19e0e7ba54

Granted there is the Viletim replacement:
http://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php?crn=20 ... how_detail
But thats about $120 USD shipped - $90 AUD before shipping

Factoring that in, it is still a bit high, but not super high.

I'm sure Chris and Viletim worked out a deal since he would be buying in bulk, I'd imagine he is paying far less than $90 per RGB PPU. The biggest difference between this and the CMVS is there really isn't much of a cheaper alternative to play MVS games without a cab, sure you could get a bare bones CMVS that only does composite (maybe s-vid) is going to cost you at least $200, a nice one is going to be more in the $300-$400 range. And his CMVS was made of wood and looked really elegant. But this is the NES were talking about, it is one of the most common consoles around (at least in the US). The NES collecting community doesn't throw around money like the Neo community does.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Are we sure that this uses Tims adapter? Nothing on their site says that, and they could have reverse engineered it like Tim did. I am not trying to defend the price, just stating it is not as super inflated as most people think?

And some parts of the NES community due throw stupid money around. Sure its not comparable to the average Neo collector, but the upper end of NES collecting has no problem throwing around thousands.

For the record, I have my money on the RetroUSB HDMI NES. His products have not let me down yet and the statement he made recently about his custom made controller has me excited. But if I somehow come into spare money that would cover getting one of these, I would.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

fastbilly1 wrote:Are we sure that this uses Tims adapter? Nothing on their site says that, and they could have reverse engineered it like Tim did. I am not trying to defend the price, just stating it is not as super inflated as most people think?

And some parts of the NES community due throw stupid money around. Sure its not comparable to the average Neo collector, but the upper end of NES collecting has no problem throwing around thousands.

For the record, I have my money on the RetroUSB HDMI NES. His products have not let me down yet and the statement he made recently about his custom made controller has me excited. But if I somehow come into spare money that would cover getting one of these, I would.

I'm pretty sure it is Tims, he has been out of stock of RGB PPU's for awhile now and this would explain why.
aaron
Next-Gen

Post by aaron »

ninjainspandex wrote:I still can't believe he is charging up to $50 for an NES controller.

this is, by far, the most offensive thing about this console. it is very sexy, but i don't understand why charging $50 for a NOS controller is even remotely acceptable for a rational human with a functioning brain.
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller