The Legend of Zelda on the Oculus Rift [ZeldaVR]

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

The Legend of Zelda on the Oculus Rift [ZeldaVR]

Post by GSZX1337 »

Zelda games shall be forever gripped close to Nintendo’s chest, but remakes, demakes and homages frequently turn up on the shores of PC gaming. Zelda VR aims to re-build The Legend of Zelda – yeah, the original, top-down, NES Zelda – for virtual reality headsets.

An early build is available to download now, and I’ve had a go in a video below.
Read the rest of this entry »

Much like the Rift itself, ZeldaVR is still in development with only the beginning of the original game.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
kelsoanim
32-bit

Re: The Legend of Zelda on the Oculus Rift [ZeldaVR]

Post by kelsoanim »

I have a Rift and I tried this and it's pretty gosh darned amazing. Reminded me of what I imagined when I was a kid playing LoZ. The walking accelleration isn't quite right for the rift yet though so you get pretty sick pretty fast right now, but it was fun to walk into the cave (no screen transition, just some stairs leading down to an underground cave) to get my sword then make my way to the first dungeon. Really cool.
A-B-P. A-always, B-be, P-platforming. Always be platforming! Always be platforming!!
My Game Room - My Game Collection
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

kelsoanim wrote:I have a Rift and I tried this and it's pretty gosh darned amazing.

NOW I WANT ONE MORE THAN EVER!

Reminded me of what I imagined when I was a kid playing LoZ.

Hmm, could this be the next retro gaming trend? Perhaps instead of rehashing the same games, they could be recreated for the Rift in order to provide a unique experience. I mean, you can only port/remake a game so many times...
Nyukki
128-bit

Post by Nyukki »

The coolest thing I've seen in a long time.
Weekend shmupper
kelsoanim
32-bit

Post by kelsoanim »

Another cool retro experience I've had is playing Doom with an Oculus mod. I was obsessed with the game when I was a kid because it was the first convincing FPS that felt like I was in an actual place. It is really cool to experience it in the Rift, everything feels bigger and the sense of space is much stronger. Of course the enemies look like card board cutouts but the environment makes up for that. There is also a Quake 2 mod that is quite good, sense of scale is really great in that one, though the movement speed can make you insta-nauseous.
A-B-P. A-always, B-be, P-platforming. Always be platforming! Always be platforming!!
Unleaded Logic
128-bit

Post by Unleaded Logic »

kelsoanim wrote:Another cool retro experience I've had is playing Doom with an Oculus mod. I was obsessed with the game when I was a kid because it was the first convincing FPS that felt like I was in an actual place. It is really cool to experience it in the Rift, everything feels bigger and the sense of space is much stronger. Of course the enemies look like card board cutouts but the environment makes up for that. There is also a Quake 2 mod that is quite good, sense of scale is really great in that one, though the movement speed can make you insta-nauseous.

How does the head tracking work on Doom with an Oculus mod? Looking up, ect.
kelsoanim
32-bit

Post by kelsoanim »

You have full freedom of look-movement. It's the same as playing any of the modern doom mouse-look mods that allow for up/down looking.
Unleaded Logic
128-bit

Post by Unleaded Logic »

Nice! Last time I played Doom would have been in the 90's. I need to give it a revisit some time. Hopefully from a Oculus.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

Unleaded Logic wrote:Nice! Last time I played Doom would have been in the 90's. I need to give it a revisit some time. Hopefully from a Oculus.

Hell, why wait for the Rift? There's plenty of source ports that provide enhancements like higher resolutions, mouse support, and online gameplay.
Namine207

Post by Namine207 »

I'm just curious as to how items like the stopwatch will work now that the blocked off-ness of the 2d original isn't there, I guess the game will mark its own squares to apply the stopwatch to, or maybe just freeze everything in the overworld for a period of time? :o