Sonic 2 released on IOS and Android with a new zone.

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
TheGregzilla
24-bit

Sonic 2 released on IOS and Android with a new zone.

Post by TheGregzilla »

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/play-a ... 0-6416674/

Sonic 2 is being rereleased with the Hidden Palace Zone included. The hidden palace zone was a previously unfinished zone hidden in the files on the cart.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Re: Sonic 2 released on IOS and Android with a new zone.

Post by GSZX1337 »

I really wish that this and the remastered prequel would get released on Steam or GoG so I could use my Genesis controller.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

For any one that's interested, there's hacks available to play the lost levels.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1048/

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/105/
TheGregzilla
24-bit

Post by TheGregzilla »

You can play them, but are the whole actual levels? Like I thought I remembered in the original release the levels were in the coding, but they weren't actually finished. Is it like a fan made finish to them? AFAIK this was the first time the levels had ever been officially finished.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

TheGregzilla wrote:You can play them, but are the whole actual levels? Like I thought I remembered in the original release the levels were in the coding, but they weren't actually finished. Is it like a fan made finish to them? AFAIK this was the first time the levels had ever been officially finished.

Well, yeah, they're not official. I know they found the levels hidden in the ROM, but IIRC some of them were actually taken from prototype versions of the game. The descriptions and Read Me files in the links have more info tho.
dogman91
128-bit

Post by dogman91 »

I'd trust this version of Hidden Palace Zone to be a lot better than any of the rom hacks available IMHO. I'm excited; the only problem is they need to release this for the PC as well so I can use a controller.

On a side note, I really REALLY wish Retro Sonic Nexus could have been finished before handing off the engine to Sega. A brand new top quality Genesis Sonic game basically with the Retro Engine. Oh well.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

I knew about those ROM hacks, which I really need to play. :lol:
I'd also like to get this release as it's in widescreen and has the boss rush mode. I know there's a ROM hack for the boss rush too.
TheSegaSaturnGuy
64-bit

Post by TheSegaSaturnGuy »

This is pretty awesome! I will be buying it this week! Has anyone had any experience with Sonic 4 on IOS? It looks good from the screenshots and I am very tempted to buy it.
I am buying all Saturn games, PM me with your offerings and I will let you know if I need the game or not! (Everything must be CIB)

Currently trying to knock off all the sports games, would like to get them <$5 each! Of course if you would like to donate them I will gladly pay the shipping! :)
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

Eh, I played the Sonic 4 demos on XBLA and wasn't impressed. The first episode was just shit and the second demo didn't give me enough time to form an opinion.
dogman91
128-bit

Post by dogman91 »

The feel (physics, controls) of Sonic 4 is totally wrong IMO, and basically a crappier low-budget-feeling copy cat of the very basic elements of the Genesis games; introduces nothing new following Sonic 3 for example and all that to warrant being called Sonic 4. Sonic Advance and Sonic Generations beat it by miles IMO. That's all just my opinion though. :wink:

BTW, you guys ought to play these two fan game demos if you haven't: http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_Nexus#Downloads
The 2008 demo of Sonic Nexus. Shows amazing potential IMO, and it uses the engine used for the Sonic CD re-release (for those who didn't already know).
There's also http://info.sonicretro.org/Retro_Sonic, which is even more impressive if you believe it or not.