Ghosts 'N Goblins - Demon World

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
msingleton1977

Re: Ghosts 'N Goblins - Demon World

Post by msingleton1977 »

Jagosaurus wrote:Seems transparent which a lot of kickstarters aren't.

Also, the Ghosbusters commercial reference.... pure awesome. Good luck guys!

Thanks! Glad you like it! I'm trying to be as transparent as possible.

Monty
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

msingleton1977 wrote:The team I have ready to work have been the lead designers in AAA titles. I am right next to Electronic Arts and one of their senior guys wants to work on this project for me. But, I can't pay him yet.

But I don't want any senior EA developer, I want Fujiwara himself and he's not involved. It's not like I have anything against him or your team, but they are not the original designers and they don't have experience making platformer games. This is the big issue for me.

The lack of variety in the top sellers in the console market is pathetic. 90% first person shooters. Nintendo is pushing back, and we want to help them push.

But here's the thing. How many kids are so interested in the hardest platformer series of all time that they have already beaten the other four games in the franchise? That number is practically zero. Kids don't need Ghost'n Goblins Demon World.

I also counted them and there are around 25 entries in Amazon's Top 100 that are suitable for children. Sports games also outnumber shooting games of any kind. "90% First person shooters" isn't an accurate view of the market.

Thanks for giving us the time, and your feedback. I really do appreciate it. Even if you are not on board.

Monty

I also greatly appreciate it, thanks for answering.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
msingleton1977

Post by msingleton1977 »

General_Norris wrote:But I don't want any senior EA developer, I want Fujiwara himself and he's not involved. It's not like I have anything against him or your team, but they are not the original designers and they don't have experience making platformer games. This is the big issue for me.

I wish Fujiwara would get involved and make a game, but he isn't. Thankfully 3 members of my team are the biggest GnG fans I know and we are going to make sure it plays and feels like a Fujiwara game. Fujiwara was the director for Ghosts 'N Goblins, Ghoul's 'N Ghosts, and Ultimate. That's why those are the best. He wasn't involved creatively with Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts. Super GnG is a great game, and Tatsuya Minami designed it (he no longer works with Capcom) along with Kimio Yamazoe, who hasn't been involved with GnG since. Capcom is coming out with a GnG MMO which has been twice cancelled. An MMO!! which I think is a *terrible* idea and if you know anyone with an iPhone, check out the Gold Knight series and you can cry with me. They don't know what to do with this franchise anymore which is the reason for my mission.

But here's the thing. How many kids are so interested in the hardest platformer series of all time that they have already beaten the other four games in the franchise? That number is practically zero. Kids don't need Ghost'n Goblins Demon World.

My goal is to get parents involved who grew up with the series be able to play it with their children. For example, the unlimited player select (see Key Game Design Elements) on Kickstarter is something think is going to be awesome. Basically, you can get 5 people in a room, you select 5 players, and then when each person dies, you hand off the controller to the next person. The coding is simple because it's simply "Please hand controller to player number X" but it makes beating the game a team effort.

I also counted them and there are around 25 entries in Amazon's Top 100 that are suitable for children. Sports games also outnumber shooting games of any kind. "90% First person shooters" isn't an accurate view of the market.

Ok, so 25% are suitable in the top 100. But the top 10 isn't balanced enough IMO. One of my major complaints about current console games is the *major* lack of variety. If I go to Gamestop now, vs. a 1985 Toy Store, there was *a lot* more imagination in Game Design in the 80s. I also think it's really stupid that these major studios are spending millions of dollars on amazing games that don't even get played all the way through. The fact that EA and Activision are spending millions on games and only 10% of people get through them tells me they are missing the big picture here. Almost anyone I knew in the 80s that owned a Nintendo game eventually beat it. The people I know now who are in school or have jobs usually will get to level 3 or so of a multi-million dollar game and never play it again. Artistically it's sad that all these graphic designers and coders created a lot of work that will never even be seen!

I also greatly appreciate it, thanks for answering.

You bet!

Monty
msingleton1977

Post by msingleton1977 »

Jagosaurus wrote:Seems transparent which a lot of kickstarters aren't.

One more thought on transparency.

If we get funded, one thing we are going to do is be transparent through the entire process. Backers will be the first to see the prototype when it’s presented to OUYA and Capcom in April 2014. I’m going to run a video blog recording the process of our discussions with Capcom, and all the details about the production process. One great thing about being the project lead is as the graphic designers and coders are developing the game, I can document the entire process and share it with the world. It's going to be a blast!

Monty
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I'm with Norris on this.

Also, you have practically no understanding of the contemporary game market and its variety. There's a shit ton more design innovation and genre range going on today than ever existed in the 80s/90s (which, incidentally, was more filled with GnG and other themed platformers than today's market is by FPSs) and a lot of market success has been connected to that innovation both within and beyond the top 10/25/100 best sellers at any given time.

You're right on one thing: reskinning GnG and creating another entry in the series is the kind of shit Nintendo does all the time. It sucks when they do it over and again, but at least they generally know how to do it well...
Last edited by dsheinem on Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

I wish you luck with this project Monty, but I just can't see Capcom going in for it.

And if they do, how much creative control will you retain? And if they don't, I can't imagine they would allow a game that is so similar, even down to the naming, to come out on any of the major platforms.

I also disagree with the notion that there are no kid friendly games. What about Skylander's or Disney Infinity or pretty much any Nintendo developed game? Pokemon is doing all right I hear.

On a positive note though; have you contacted Seow Zong Hui and his team? They were responsible for Street Fighter X Megaman which received Capcom's blessing, they might be able to give you some tips.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

Sload Soap wrote:I wish you luck with this project Monty, but I just can't see Capcom going in for it.

Well, there is that Blizzard approved mod that got Kickstarted recently.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
msingleton1977

Post by msingleton1977 »

dsheinem wrote:There's a shit ton more design innovation and genre range going on today than ever existed in the 80s/90s (which, incidentally, was more filled with GnG and other themed platformers than today's market is by FPSs)

I agree with you. As you know, I'm specifically talking about FPS dominating the top 10 being dominated by soldier and mature games. There is absolutely more variety now than in the 80s/90s when it comes to selection as the smartphone/tablet games have any idea you can think of. However, when it comes to where the money is going? The majority of the money goes into FPS war games. There needs to be more of a balance here.

dsheinem wrote:You're right on one thing: reskinning GnG and creating another entry in the series is the kind of shit Nintendo does all the time. It sucks when they do it over and again, but at least they generally know how to do it well...

I love Nintendo. I think this is great! I love their re-skinning of games. That's why I'm doing this. I don't know of another studio with the 100% focus to reimagine arcade classics. The last thing I want to do is be another indie game studio trying to come up with the next Candy Crush or multi-million Battlefield 4. I want Phantasm Studios to be the opposite of all the other game studios out there with a razor sharp focus and niche audience.

Thanks for checking us out Dsheinem.

Monty
msingleton1977

Post by msingleton1977 »

Sload Soap wrote:I wish you luck with this project Monty, but I just can't see Capcom going in for it.

And if they do, how much creative control will you retain? And if they don't, I can't imagine they would allow a game that is so similar, even down to the naming, to come out on any of the major platforms.

I would have agreed with you before I played Gold Knights. If you haven't played it, you can download it on iOS for $.99 and let me know if you still hold that opinion. This isn't the GnG franchise or the Capcom of the 80/90s. That's why I asked them.

Sload Soap wrote:I also disagree with the notion that there are no kid friendly games. What about Skylander's or Disney Infinity or pretty much any Nintendo developed game? Pokemon is doing all right I hear.

There are plenty of kid friendly games. Yes, Pokemon is doing well and so is Nintendo. But, my point is there needs to be more balance. Grand Theft Auto brought in over 1 billion dollars on launch. It's projected to bring in more revenue than the entire global music industry. The Movie Iron Man 3 only brought in a third of what GTA did globally. I think GTA has it's place, but I hate that our society is at place where it's the biggest entertainment launch in history. There needs to be more balance, and we want to join with other kid friendly developers and push back.

On a positive note though; have you contacted Seow Zong Hui and his team? They were responsible for Street Fighter X Megaman which received Capcom's blessing, they might be able to give you some tips.

I haven't spoken with Seow Zon Hui. But thank you I'll make sure I do when our prototype is finished.

Monty
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I was going to suggest talking to the SFxMM guys as well. That game was really fun, and it was cool that Capcom published it.