Ghosts 'N Goblins - Demon World

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
msingleton1977

Ghosts 'N Goblins - Demon World

Post by msingleton1977 »

Hi everyone!

My name is Monty Singleton.

This is my first post so a few things about me:

I live in Salt Lake City, Utah. My favorite arcade game is Ghosts 'N Goblins and my favorite NES game is: The Legend Of Zelda. Second favorite for both platforms, Super Mario Bros. I have a small but well displayed collection for the NES and I collect a LOT of arcade stuff. For example, I had a guy disassemble a Stun Runner marquee and ship it to me. Same thing with After Burner and Terminator 2. Items that required tools and an hour or so.

I'm on a mission to take my passion for arcades and reimagine them for future generations. Our first project is Ghosts 'N Goblins.

Since this is "Old-School Gaming News" I thought I should post here. If I'm breaking etiquette, I apologize and you can delete or move my post. Thanks!

Monty Singleton
http://GhostsNGoblins.com
Ack

Re: Ghosts 'N Goblins - Demon World

Post by Ack »

Well, I'd suggest posting in the new members thread in the Off Topic forum, but I'd say that your project is the perfect example of Old-School Gaming News. We also have a thread about Kickstarter campaigns in the PC forum, but for a dedicated thread on this and future projects, this is the best place. No worries, chief! Welcome aboard.
msingleton1977

Post by msingleton1977 »

Ack wrote: but for a dedicated thread on this and future projects, this is the best place. No worries, chief! Welcome aboard.

Great! Glad to hear.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Cheers Monty!

Your promotional video is professional, sleek, informative, an overall well made. It helps viewers grasp your concept very well, and I say this only as constructive criticism, but where's the beef?

You had me at Ghost n' Goblins. I might not have my copy of the game framed, but that was my go to game at Chuck E. Cheese when I was a kid and was one of the first NES games I owned.

I applaud you for getting Capcom's attention, but like them, I would like to see more than a concept. Before opening my wallet I would like to know how it would be distributed (physical or digital) and at least some gameplay footage.

I wish you the best of luck and look forward to hearing of your progress.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Seems transparent which a lot of kickstarters aren't.

Also, the Ghosbusters commercial reference.... pure awesome. Good luck guys!

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

I'm sorry, but I don't find this project trustful or desirable.

First, without providing money to the general public to fund a potential project that Capcom may or may not be interested in seems fishy to me. More than that, providing money to fund a prototype to show Capcom is extremely fishy and uninteresting.

Why would I be interested in taking away a classic game series from its creator so a team that has never made a single platformer in their lives can make a sequel to it anyways? Why should that happen? What artistic gain there is? If there's such a need for yet another Ghost'n Goblins game, bring Fujiwara himself to do it. He's not dead yet! And it's not like Capcom didn't get him for Ultimate Ghosts and Goblins, which you handwaved away as if it weren't a proper title.

Most of your pitch isn't about the actual game, like the level design or why the only pictures of concept art look more appropiate for a gritty reboot by an amateur artist that for the playful world of the franchise. Most of it is a rant against a strawman of modern gaming and silly, unprofessional pop culture references. Talk to me about your game instead of dressing of as Ghostbusters.

The part of modern games not being fit for children is ridiculous! How many kids do you know that are so into one of history hardesat platformer series to the level they need yet another game because they have beaten the four games of the main series? C'mon! This is just silly and pandering.

So yeah, not only do I not care about the project, I would rather see it not get through! There's nothing here for me to invest me in besides brand recognition and a chance of another HD Rocket Knight game!

Rant over.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Time to switch to decaf Norris.

I agree with some of your points, but dressing up as Ghostbusters is never a bad idea (that said dressing up as Ghostbusters in a cemetery isn't the best idea).

Give the guys some time to show what they plan on making, but as of now they're just pitching the idea.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

Luke wrote:Time to switch to decaf Norris.

Yeah, I that was a bit harsh. I stand by it, though.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
msingleton1977

Post by msingleton1977 »

Luke wrote:Cheers Monty!

Your promotional video is professional, sleek, informative, an overall well made. It helps viewers grasp your concept very well, and I say this only as constructive criticism, but where's the beef?

You had me at Ghost n' Goblins. I might not have my copy of the game framed, but that was my go to game at Chuck E. Cheese when I was a kid and was one of the first NES games I owned.

Thanks for checking us out Luke! That's awesome you went to Chuck E Cheese. One of my favorite places as Bushnell built it and he grew up exactly where I did (same college, same amusement park, etc.).

The reason we don't have a prototype is because I had to put this together in two months which was not enough time to create a high quality prototype. Why two months? This genesis of this project is because of OUYA's http://FreeTheGamesFund.com, which will double our budget, only if we can get funded with this campaign. It looks like the money is going to be gone in December. So, I had to move fast. If we get funded on Kickstarter, OUYA will match our funds once we deliver them a high quality prototype in April 2014. I know going to Kickstarter without a prototype was a huge risk, but it is worth it for a chance to get a doubling of our development costs. We can double the quality of the game for the OUYA match. I know I'm asking a lot for people to trust that I'm the man for the job. So, please look at my LinkedIn profile (http://www.linkedin.com/in/montysingleton). I have senior programmers knocking down my door to work on this once I can pay them. I have incredible graphic designers ready to work. I'm a quality freak, a work-o-holic, and a huge GnG fan, I'm going to make sure the programmers and designers only create the best product.

Monty
Last edited by msingleton1977 on Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
msingleton1977

Post by msingleton1977 »

General_Norris wrote:Why would I be interested in taking away a classic game series from its creator so a team that has never made a single platformer in their lives can make a sequel to it anyways? Why should that happen? What artistic gain there is? If there's such a need for yet another Ghost'n Goblins game, bring Fujiwara himself to do it. He's not dead yet! And it's not like Capcom didn't get him for Ultimate Ghosts and Goblins, which you handwaved away as if it weren't a proper title.

The team I have ready to work have been the lead designers in AAA titles. I am right next to Electronic Arts and one of their senior guys wants to work on this project for me. But, I can't pay him yet.

Ultimate *is* an amazing title. But, it was portable. Capcom never brought it to the console. I love that game. Have you played Gold Knights I or II for iOS? I think those are terrible games, which is why I'm going to make a game that blows them away.

General_Norris wrote:
Talk to me about your game instead of dressing of as Ghostbusters.

I've already had complaints that the video is twice as long as it should be. But, we are trying to show we are professional but also creative and fun. Our page does show key design elements but I do understand it's hard to get past not having a prototype.

General_Norris wrote:
The part of modern games not being fit for children is ridiculous! How many kids do you know that are so into one of history hardesat platformer series to the level they need yet another game because they have beaten the four games of the main series? C'mon! This is just silly and pandering.

I love Ghosts 'n Goblins, and I want my two boys to be able to play a new Ghosts 'N Goblins game that isn't the garbage that is Gold Knights I and II. Have you looked at the top sellers of modern console games? We are raising children ready to go straight into battle. Take a look at the latest best sellers list from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-vide ... f=sv_vg_11

The lack of variety in the top sellers in the console market is pathetic. 90% first person shooters. Nintendo is pushing back, and we want to help them push.

General_Norris wrote:
So yeah, not only do I not care about the project, I would rather see it not get through! There's nothing here for me to invest me in besides brand recognition and a chance of another HD Rocket Knight game!

Rant over.

Thanks for giving us the time, and your feedback. I really do appreciate it. Even if you are not on board.

Monty