Mega Man Unlimited, fan game 5 years in the making

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
TheRev
128-bit

Re: Mega Man Unlimited, fan game 5 years in the making

Post by TheRev »

Somebody needs to teach the people who made this game about good level design.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Eh, if it's as hard as people say I won't be bothering. I'm so sick of that stupid mindset that just because you're making a retro style game it has to be sadistically, stupidly difficult

Games are supposed to be fun, not a pain in the ass. That's why it's an ENTERTAINMENT medium
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
TheRev
128-bit

Post by TheRev »

The game isn't hard. It's poorly designed. Like they never played a real Mega man game just assume MAKE THE GAME HARD is good Mega man level design not learn as you go like Mega man should be
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I got all the achievements in 9-10.

Always wanted longer levels in Megaman games.

Hot diggity I'll have to hit this up soon.
Dylan
Next-Gen

Post by Dylan »

TheRev wrote:The game isn't hard. It's poorly designed. Like they never played a real Mega man game just assume MAKE THE GAME HARD is good Mega man level design not learn as you go like Mega man should be

I feel like this is an oversimplification of the issues with the game. The game's level design is only bad in that level length is excessive (and some levels more than others). The game really isn't a higher level of difficulty in terms of the types of challenges and obstacles it presents to the player, they just become more difficult due to the larger quantity that appear consecutively as a result of the level length. Other design elements such as level theming and gimmick design are actually quite good. Boss battles and boss weapons are also very well designed. Once you give the game a few shots and get a couple of the levels down, use of the shop can really make a difference in terms of how difficult the levels end up being.

The game itself does definitely have flaws, I'm not trying to disagree about that. I would however suggest at least giving it a try to anyone that enjoys classic Mega Man.

If anyone is interested in the game, keep in mind that only a few of the stages are really truly imbalanced in difficulty (namely Rainbow Man and Glue Man). I personally got really frustrated with them at first but after coming back to the game and stocking up on lives, spike guards, and beat calls, they really weren't as unplayable as I had started to make them out to be in my mind.
Damm64
Next-Gen

Post by Damm64 »

I played this like 2 months ago and got my ass kicked, but the only complain i can agree with is the lenght of the stages, it really becomes a drag when you loose a life and you have to go AAAAALL the way back to the beggining of the stage, a few more checkpoint would be nice. Level design es great i have fun on all the stages i tried, didn't reach any boss lol, but i find some really hard jumps, almost pixel perfect jumps but again with more checkpoints this problem would be solved.

I'm not a megaman expert but i played 2, 1 and a bit of 3 and if you show me this game i would totally think is a brand new legit megaman game.

I need to get a 360 controller to play this and MM vs SF on my laptop. How well the ps4 controller works on PC? heard now is supported.
noiseredux wrote:I don't lend shit and I don't borrow shit.