Make New NES And SNES Games?

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
oxymoron
Next-Gen

Make New NES And SNES Games?

Post by oxymoron »

Do you think dev's should make new NES and SNES games? Is it financially worth the time and money? Personally i think i'd be great but what your opinion?
AppleQueso

Re: Make New NES And SNES Games?

Post by AppleQueso »

lots of small indie devs make new NES and SNES games, NES especially has a pretty healthy homebrew dev scene. Maybe not so much on SNES right now, but people make new NES games all the time.

It's a ton of work and requires a lot of dedication, so a lot of projects never really get off the ground, but yeah.
Omerta
Next-Gen

Post by Omerta »

oxymoron wrote:Do you think dev's should make new NES and SNES games? Is it financially worth the time and money? Personally i think i'd be great but what your opinion?

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find many people on this website that would tell you that people should cease making new games for old consoles.

Is it worth it financially? I can't imagine it would be. If you can reverse engineer a machine to make your game, someone else can too and won't hesitate to throw your ROM on the internet for free. Once that happens, good luck trying to put that genie back in the bottle.

Do people do it anyway? Yep. Many of them do it as a hobby and have become gods amongst men in the retro community.

Dreamcast is a console that won't die because of new releases and like AQ said, the NES homebrew scene is huge. One guy that comes to mind is the solo developer of Battle Kid 1 and 2. He got another guy to do the distribution for him and it's tough for them to keep cartridges in stock. I doubt they're getting rich, but I bet the whole project is turning a tidy profit.
"Farewell, good hunter.
May you find your worth
in the waking world."
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Omerta wrote:Is it worth it financially? I can't imagine it would be. If you can reverse engineer a machine to make your game, someone else can too and won't hesitate to throw your ROM on the internet for free. Once that happens, good luck trying to put that genie back in the bottle.

There's a good amount of effort put in to trying to prevent rom leaks when it comes to homebrew, at least when we're talking pre-release. One of the most common methods is to embed some sort of unique identifier in the code somewhere for each rom that gets sent out to testers, etc. Sure, it won't stop them from dumping and uploading the rom, but at the very least you'll know exactly who did it.
TheGregzilla
24-bit

Post by TheGregzilla »

I think they are very interesting to read about, but I can't honestly say I would ever buy a 'modern-retro' game. Never say Never, but It would have to be an extremely good game, otherwise I know I would just have the mental image of it being typical 'fan-made crap style' game like the ones floating around in rom form all over the internet.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

TheGregzilla wrote:I think they are very interesting to read about, but I can't honestly say I would ever buy a 'modern-retro' game. Never say Never, but It would have to be an extremely good game, otherwise I know I would just have the mental image of it being typical 'fan-made crap style' game like the ones floating around in rom form all over the internet.

Comparing from-scratch homebrew to bad rom hacks (if that really is what you're trying to say) is almost insulting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2DJrr2iBXc

This for example is far from anything resembling a cheap rom hack or a "fan-made crap style" game.
KDub
Next-Gen

Post by KDub »

Yep as was said, homebrew isn't anything new or uncommon. I have two new NES games on my shelf right now.
TheGregzilla
24-bit

Post by TheGregzilla »

Im not saying they all are, but I have seen some awful roms thrown on carts and sold. Id have to look them up but I seem to remember an awful mario game floating around.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

TheGregzilla wrote:Im not saying they all are, but I have seen some awful roms thrown on carts and sold. Id have to look them up but I seem to remember an awful mario game floating around.

But we aren't talking about people selling shitty rom hacks on carts or anything like that, we're original talking stuff made from scratch.
TheGregzilla
24-bit

Post by TheGregzilla »

The actual game Im referring to (im still searching) was made from scratch. It was supposed to be a mario game, but the sprites were made from scratch and as far as I saw so were the backgrounds and such.