Super Retro Trio and Super Retro Adapter

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: Super Retro Trio and Super Retro Adapter

Post by fastbilly1 »

irixith wrote:+10

Can't believe people keep getting their hopes up for this dreck. Renders look cool, specs are way over promised. Always ends in disappointment. I see GameCubes with the Game Boy Player attached all the time in the sub $30 (Canadian!) range. Surely that's a far better and even cheaper alternative to these ridiculous clone things.

Hell, I'd dump $60 on a used Wii in a heartbeat and just emulate them -- the experience would still be better.

Read my first comment:
Then I could play GBA versions of SNES games on the SNES... FFV here we come!

Its a novelty in my eyes. If I wanted to honestly play GBA games on my tv, Id use one of my four GBA Player equipped Gamecubes, or like you said, just use my hacked Wii. Hell I could use my cellphone if push comes to shove.
NamelessGoon

Post by NamelessGoon »

I'm perfectly content with my GBA Player but this thing is somewhat intriguing. I've been playing GBA with the Wavebird for some time but I've always just wanted to use the SNES pad. In the unlikely event that this thing turns out to be decent quality I might consider getting it. One thing I can't figure out is how it could work for both SNES and Genesis. It really looks like a SNES cart, which would not fit in a Genesis.
Before we assume our respective roles in this enduring drama just let me say that when these frail shadows we inhabit now have quit the stage we'll meet and raise a glass again together in Valhalla.
-Judge Clinton Sternwood
BitFaced
64-bit

Post by BitFaced »

NamelessGoon wrote:I'm perfectly content with my GBA Player but this thing is somewhat intriguing. I've been playing GBA with the Wavebird for some time but I've always just wanted to use the SNES pad. In the unlikely event that this thing turns out to be decent quality I might consider getting it. One thing I can't figure out is how it could work for both SNES and Genesis. It really looks like a SNES cart, which would not fit in a Genesis.

Where did it say it'd work with Genesis? I think by third-party 16-bit system they meant SNES clones.
N64/NES/FC/SNES/SFC/GB (SGB)/GBC (Black)(SGB)/FDS/Satellaview/Genesis/Mega Drive/Master System & maybe N64DD/GBC/GBA.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Purkeynator wrote:I wish we would get an adapter like this to play Sega Game Gear games on the big screen.

You can do some tricky hacks to make it work, but it is not perfect.

This fella made one into a Master System:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg__dXFYqYk
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Purkeynator wrote:I wish we would get an adapter like this to play Sega Game Gear games on the big screen.

Read in interview with the Retron 5 crew, they want to do GG & SMS but the pin outs are too hard to find & no1 is currently making reproductions of them. They made it sound like the hardware wasn't an issue.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
ApolloBoy
128-bit

Post by ApolloBoy »

I'm assuming the Super Retro Adapter outputs its own video signal as opposed to having it go through the SNES? If so, I'll stick with my GameCube and Game Boy Player combo.
Own: 2600, 2DS, 2DS XL, 360 S, 5200, 7800, 800, 800XL, AES, Amiga 600, C64, C64C, CV, DC, Duo-R, GB, GBA, GBA SP, GBC, GBP, Genesis 2, GG, JP SMS, Lynx, Mark III, Mega CD II, MD, MSX2+, N64, NES, NES top loader, Nomad, PCE, PSX, PS2, RetroUSB AVS, SAT, SFC, SG-1000 II, SMS, SNES mini, Switch, TE, Twin Fami, VIC-20, Wii, XEGS
BitFaced
64-bit

Post by BitFaced »

ApolloBoy wrote:I'm assuming the Super Retro Adapter outputs its own video signal as opposed to having it go through the SNES? If so, I'll stick with my GameCube and Game Boy Player combo.

Well it might or might not. Depends on whether it'll need video feed pins in the SNES's cartridge slot, which it doesn't.
N64/NES/FC/SNES/SFC/GB (SGB)/GBC (Black)(SGB)/FDS/Satellaview/Genesis/Mega Drive/Master System & maybe N64DD/GBC/GBA.
vingadorjr

Post by vingadorjr »

What about the NES being played through the S-Video? Has anybody tested it yet?
BRIK
Next-Gen

Post by BRIK »

DSKrek wrote:Super Retro Adapter - Play original GBA game cartridges directly on the SNES or any third party 16-bit console. The Super Retro Adapter comes equipped with a GBA link cable port (link cable sold separately) for connecting of up to 3 Gameboy systems which allows you to play 4-way gaming. SRP $39.99

This could be an ideal way for me to record GBA footage for my YouTube channel, as the cheapest GameCube I've come across in the wild has been $50 =/
I'll wait for the reviews.
Retro Game On's YouTube Channel << Featuring reviews, features and repair videos.