WELL THIS IS INTERESTING.. Retron 5

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
strangenova
Next-Gen

Re: WELL THIS IS INTERESTING.. Retron 5

Post by strangenova »

I'm just about convinced, one more thing though. I had heard that the retron 5 will wipe any saves on the cart already. Any truth to that?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

strangenova wrote:I'm just about convinced, one more thing though. I had heard that the retron 5 will wipe any saves on the cart already. Any truth to that?

Haha no that isn't true at all.

What happens is that the SRAM data (save data) is imported from the cart into the system the first time you insert a given cart. From that point on, all future saves will automatically save to the console, not the cart.

So, suppose you play an hour of Chrono Trigger on the SNES. Then you switch to the Retron 5. Your save is imported and you continue playing on the R5 and beat the game. If you switch back to a SNES you will still have your original one-hour save, not the R5 save - unless you elect to dump your R5 save data back into your cart, which you totally can do.

So yeah, the saves erasing thing is bunk. Maybe this was a bug in earlier builds, I dunno. The opposite is true, on the Retron 5 you have enhanced save capabilities.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

It was a bug in earlier builds. I don't think it's an issue now.

Have they fixed the freezing issue in Contra: Hard Corps? I know they had to change emulation cores, and I sure hope they've resolved that problem.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

So after going and reading some reviews alot of them mention a death grip on cartridges. Is that a thing?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Generally, no.

Are you reading old reviews? The launch model Retron 5 was ass with various problems including the death grip. The "model 2", which is all you should be able to find these days, is fine.

I know I hype this system a lot, but it is grand. 90% of what I play is retro cartridges and since getting the R5 I haven't touched a NES, SNES, or Genesis system.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Generally, no.

Are you reading old reviews? The launch model Retron 5 was ass with various problems including the death grip. The "model 2", which is all you should be able to find these days, is fine.

I know I hype this system a lot, but it is grand. 90% of what I play is retro cartridges and since getting the R5 I haven't touched a NES, SNES, or Genesis system.

Well some of the reviews are from last summer. How can tell if the system is the second model? I was gonna get it off Amazon but I don't want to get an old model that doesn't function properly.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Amazon would most definitely not have the launch model still in stock.

There's no foolproof way to tell until you open the system's box. The newer version has removable protective covers on the cart slots. I'll reiterate that the cart slots on these is just fine. Perhaps tighter than the original consoles, but nothing serious.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

I appreciate the help Bone. You've helped me make up my mind. I'm ordering the retron 5 and then I'm on the hunt for super famicom carts.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

If you intend to use legit media youre fine, third party stuff is hit and miss, and flash kits are a no.

Its not bad but not the best built between that and the retrofreak. Neither are perfect but are near enough so around little pickiness about what not to run. The RF though seems to have less online complaints about defective failing hardware though. Downer on the RF is needing to buy a controller module and a NES one if you care about that.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

strangenova wrote:I appreciate the help Bone. You've helped me make up my mind. I'm ordering the retron 5 and then I'm on the hunt for super famicom carts.

Glad to hear it! The Super Famicom JPRG library is stellar.