Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: WELL THIS IS INTERESTING.. Retron 4

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:40 pm

The problem with these clone consoles is that the sound is typically balls. Hope the HDMI fixes that.
TheRev
128-bit

by TheRev Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:13 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:The problem with these clone consoles is that the sound is typically balls. Hope the HDMI fixes that.

It's what's keeping me from getting a Clone.
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:08 pm

Retron 3 had better compatibility than most other clones (it actually plays Castlevania III)

I don't have any need for this, but I'm gonna keep an eye on it. Gonna go out on a limb here and assume that the HDMI output is going to look like ass, they'll probably just sloppily transcode the composite video signals.
TheRev
128-bit

by TheRev Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:07 am

The Retron 3 ACTUALLY PLAYS CASTLEVANIA 3?

can anyone else confirm this? I have heard though alot of them have non working cart slots though and the NES side doesn't support the S-Video out like the Retro Duo does.
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:09 am

TheRev wrote:The Retron 3 ACTUALLY PLAYS CASTLEVANIA 3?

can anyone else confirm this? I have heard though alot of them have non working cart slots though and the NES side doesn't support the S-Video out like the Retro Duo does.

There's at least two revisions of it, the later one actually can play CV3.

And no, s-video doesn't work on the NES. These things still use the cheap NOAC that every other clone does. They're based on the actual NES PPU, which can't do s-video at all.
TheRev
128-bit

by TheRev Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:27 am

The Retron 2 from what I understand can do NES S-Video out but it has weird ghosting.
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:28 am

TheRev wrote:The Retron 2 from what I understand can do NES S-Video out but it has weird ghosting.

They probably tossed in a cheap comb filter or something for it.
TheRev
128-bit

by TheRev Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:33 am

I'm thinking of picking up an AV Famicom anyway since I've been told that's the best NES/Fami variant to get. That's also the most compatible. After that a Super Famicom and a genesis model 1, Sega CD model 1 and 32x with a Trio adapter.
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:34 am

TheRev wrote:I'm thinking of picking up an AV Famicom anyway since I've been told that's the best NES/Fami variant to get. That's also the most compatible.

Not a bad idea. Just make sure whatever NES to Famicom converter you pick up is wired up correctly. Some of them cheap out and don't bother connecting a few of the pins, which leaves you with some compatibility problems.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:44 am

TheRev wrote:I'm thinking of picking up an AV Famicom anyway since I've been told that's the best NES/Fami variant to get.

I think SatoshiMatrix has a video on NES variants, and mentions an official Nintendo console released in Japan that not only supported S-Video, but also was able to print business cards or something like that. I don't recall if he went over compatibility or not though, and I can't even remember the name of the console at the moment.

Granted, since it is pretty unlikely to come across one, the AV Fami is still probably the best bet.
Return to Old-School Gaming News