WELL THIS IS INTERESTING.. Retron 5

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: WELL THIS IS INTERESTING.. Retron 5

Post by alienjesus »

Man, I really wanna play Game Gear on my TV, but $59.99 is a stretch. I don't need the Master System compatability as I already own a Power Base Converter which I use on the Retron as is.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

alienjesus wrote:Man, I really wanna play Game Gear on my TV, but $59.99 is a stretch. I don't need the Master System compatability as I already own a Power Base Converter which I use on the Retron as is.

While hate to be "that guy"... if you own a PS2 or oXbox, PSMS (PS2) and DegaBox (oX) emulators on both consoles will run GG roms on your TV via your existing consoles likely already hooked up, without messing with PC options :).

I never got into GG collecting, but have experienced the library this way.

Just something that might hold you over until $60 seems worth it.

While I dont own a R5, I'm excited to see this come out from a preservation point of view :)

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
SpikeSlania
24-bit

Post by SpikeSlania »

If the adapter worked on a regular Genesis I would pick it up in a heartbeat. I'm sure the Master System ports would work fine on a regular genesis, but not sure if it would pick up on the Game Gear games when running them through the adapter.
wclem
Next-Gen

Post by wclem »

So, am I the only one who bought the adapter? It works great and makes these games so much more accessible to me. It has recognized all the games I tried so far and has never failed to load.

The narrow screen of the game gear is strange on my tv but it is not so bad as to make me not like playing them.

I have not tried the SMS slot yet but assume it will work also. Phantasy Star, here i come again! If anyone was on the fence on this thing I say get it now. Who knows how many they made, or for how long. If this thing becomes rare I can see scalpers going nuts!
dsheinem wrote:In any case, sorry that my avatar makes you cringe these days, but I haven't really changed my posing habits at all.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

wclem wrote:So, am I the only one who bought the adapter?

I just ordered one. I really can't afford to miss it!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I'm somewhat interested... but I already have the similar RetroFreak adapter.

Maybe I'll get this one anyway. :lol:
executioner
Next-Gen

Post by executioner »

At this point in time that the retron 5 has been out do you guys still think it is worth to buy now or just wait it out for something else coming?
Consoles: NES, Famicom, SNES, GC, GB DMG, GB Pocket, GBC, GBA, DSI XL, N64, VBoy, NDS, 3DSXL, Wii, SMS, GEN+CD+32X, GG, SAT, DC, WS, WS Color, NGPC, XBOX, 360, PS1, PSone, PS2, PSP, PS3, 3DO, CD-I, NGCD, Actionmax, TG16+CD, TE, PCE-DUO, Odyssey2, Playdia, 2600, Lynx & JAG.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

executioner wrote:At this point in time that the retron 5 has been out do you guys still think it is worth to buy now or just wait it out for something else coming?

If you want an emulation box that outputs hdmi and has built in cartridge slots, it is a nice system, especially for the price. The biggest draw is getting to physically put your carts in the system and to use your original controllers without needing an adapter.

If you just want to play games in HDMI and like the convenience of playing roms files from disc, a PC or Raspberry Pi or the like is your best bet, and will be a more robust set up with more platforms to choose from.
Last edited by Jmustang1968 on Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

Question!

Can you apply translation patches for Game Gear games?

I didn't think I needed this system & adapter since my GG has been modded with a new screen and TV output, but I suddenly realized that it would be great for translations. If that feature works with the GG adapter of course. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't, but...

Sylvan Tale, patched on my actual japanese cart, on the big screen? Sounds like NEED.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to apply patches, as patches will work on any other type of Retron 5 compatible game.