WELL THIS IS INTERESTING.. Retron 5

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
jinx
Next-Gen

Re: WELL THIS IS INTERESTING.. Retron 4

Post by jinx »

sevin0seven wrote:Image

hmm...i'm not too high on the design and that blue tooth controller, but i'll keep watching.

also should we change the title of this thread to: WELL THIS IS INTERESTING.. Retron 5

Not really feeling that controller design, but the device it's self is pretty sexy.
If this doesn't interfere with me collecting the original consoles too much, I may pick one up. I'm already starting to run into a space issue with the few systems I have.
LugNutX
8-bit

Re: WELL THIS IS INTERESTING.. Retron 5

Post by LugNutX »

I'll be watching this closely. I do not have room for a CRT and I'm "over" the whole song-and-dance of hooking up old consoles to an HDTV. As such, I've moved to emulation. I would love for a good clone to fill the void and allow me to start collecting carts again.

The fact that they seem to be making a bigger deal out of this release than past clones tells me that hopefully accuracy and compatibility will be much better this time. I'm not as concerned about 100% compatibility as I am the accuracy.

Although being able to play the NES port of Rolling Thunder would be nice.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

I would be blown away if anything changed in emulation accuracy. These new models have more system compatability and a new look. They don't care about if Super Mario RPG works. Their incentive is appealing to the masses.
marurun

Post by marurun »

They are not using chip-based clone tech in these. They are most likely using ARM-based software emulators, instead. I would prefer people put in the time and money to improve chip-based (NOAC and the like) emulation as that has the greatest chance to resemble the original hardware. Anything they can get to run on an affordable ARM CPU is going to take a lot of shortcuts and be just as inaccurate as the whatever-on-a-chip tech.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Betamax001
Next-Gen

Post by Betamax001 »

I sold my SNES (but kept my games) because it was yellowed and fugly and I was gonna use the money to get a nice clean one, but for whatever reason I never won any auctions and it kind of just got sent to the wayside, mainly because I don't really play my retro games anymore because most of the time I am at my apartment and I have a HDTV and cramped space. I figured to get most of my retro gaming fix, I would just emulate on my laptop and use my USB controllers to play them and hook it up to my TV. I like never do that :lol: (it doesn't help that there are a lot of awesome games I have to play on my Wii, PS2, PS3, and 360, plus actual PC games) but I would like to use my old carts and now that I have a job I could get back into the cart collecting, and this could be fun. I can play my SNES carts, my NES carts, and even though I sold off my Genesis stuff because most of the games I liked playing are on the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, but there were a few games I'd like to play after reading the excellent guide to Genny shmups on the site here :D Plus the GBA player and Famicom slots could be pretty fun too!

That is, if the compatibility doesn't suck butt.
NES, SNES, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GCN, Wii, PS3, 360, GB, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, PSP 3000, and 3DS XL

PSN ID: SaturnXMKII
Steam ID: betamax001
FerretGamer
Next-Gen

Post by FerretGamer »

jinx wrote:Not really feeling that controller design, but the device it's self is pretty sexy.
If this doesn't interfere with me collecting the original consoles too much, I may pick one up. I'm already starting to run into a space issue with the few systems I have.

The good thing is you can use the original controllers on this so anything from NES, Genesis, or SNES.

Excellent blog post from Hyperkin that details everything about the RetroN 5:

http://hyperkin.com/blog/2013/03/retron-5-details-revealed-from-the-midwest-gaming-classic/
Exhuminator wrote:Sega gonna Sega.
BitFaced
64-bit

Post by BitFaced »

retrosportsgamer wrote:
BitFaced wrote:Throw in N64, 32X and maybe Atari 2600 & TurboGrafx-16 and I'm in. I also wonder if the Super Game Boy and Power Base Converter work on it (as well as a few other add-ons like the Famicom Disk System) and if GameBoy Advance compatibility includes GameBoy & GameBoy Color.
But wait, the GameBoy Advance is officially a retro console now?

Is that it? ;)

Well, I guess you could add in Neo Geo but all the stuff for that is super expensive...
N64/NES/FC/SNES/SFC/GB (SGB)/GBC (Black)(SGB)/FDS/Satellaview/Genesis/Mega Drive/Master System & maybe N64DD/GBC/GBA.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

I just read their marketing slick and it had two things that I thought were super interesting and will sell me the console IF the emulation is ok:
Users will be able to program the controller to assign buttons to their preference. In turn, the RetroN 5 will save these custom layouts, so that users will not have to constantly reconfigure the button configuration. This feature will also be available to people wanting to remap their buttons on their original controllers.

and
Along the sides of the console, are controller ports for the SNES, Genesis, and NES, totalling 6 controller ports, allowing for users to use their original controllers. Users will also be able to use any controller they desire for any system. That means, if you want use a SNES controller to play Genesis games, the RetroN 5 will allow you to do so.

So yes, it is just an emulation box. But, save states aside, fully remappable controls and the ability to use any control is really awesome and will make a nice turnkey situation for one of my ongoing projects. I just want to see it in motion. If its good enough, they got atleast one sale out of me, if not two.
FerretGamer
Next-Gen

Post by FerretGamer »

The price will certainly be right for it as they are targeting under $100. This is almost a definite purchase for me.
Exhuminator wrote:Sega gonna Sega.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I also think that this is really shaping up, and if the emulation is good and the price is right, then it will be a definite purchase for me.

That said, I would love to see someone make a knock-off, b-list "Rettronn 6.0" that played:

32X;
Colecovision;
Intellivision;
Jaguar;
Lynx;
Sega Master System; and - oh yes -
Game Gear

It would be awesome.

As a wise mand once said: "You haven't really lived until you have played Trevor McFur with an Intellivision controller."