WELL THIS IS INTERESTING.. Retron 5

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: WELL THIS IS INTERESTING.. Retron 5

Post by Jagosaurus »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I don't see why you wouldn't be able to apply patches, as patches will work on any other type of Retron 5 compatible game.

Shining Force Gaiden translations out there? That'd be cool.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
executioner
Next-Gen

Post by executioner »

Jmustang1968 wrote:
executioner wrote:At this point in time that the retron 5 has been out do you guys still think it is worth to buy now or just wait it out for something else coming?

I found you want an emulation box that outputs hdmi and has built in cartridge slots, it is a nice system, especially for the price. The biggest draw is getting to physically put your carts in the system and to use your original controllers without needing an adapter.

If you just want to play games in HDMI and like the convenience of playing roms files from disc, a PC or Raspberry Pi or the like is your best bet, and will be a more robust set up with more platforms to choose from.

I am more inclined to having it as a test system when testing out games recently acquired without the need to having everything hooked up just one permanent thing. Ideally for extensive play would do an emulation or just bring out the original console with their scart hookups as I already have those.
Consoles: NES, Famicom, SNES, GC, GB DMG, GB Pocket, GBC, GBA, DSI XL, N64, VBoy, NDS, 3DSXL, Wii, SMS, GEN+CD+32X, GG, SAT, DC, WS, WS Color, NGPC, XBOX, 360, PS1, PSone, PS2, PSP, PS3, 3DO, CD-I, NGCD, Actionmax, TG16+CD, TE, PCE-DUO, Odyssey2, Playdia, 2600, Lynx & JAG.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

Jagosaurus wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:I don't see why you wouldn't be able to apply patches, as patches will work on any other type of Retron 5 compatible game.

Shining Force Gaiden translations out there? That'd be cool.

There is one
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Shining Force Gaiden: Final Conflict, the third of the GG trilogy, has a patch.

The second one, Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya, was released in North America.

Nothing for the first Shining Force Gaiden as far as I know.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Shining Force Gaiden: Final Conflict, the third of the GG trilogy, has a patch.

The second one, Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya, was released in North America.

Nothing for the first Shining Force Gaiden as far as I know.

Yeah I was thinking of FC. Isn't Gaiden and hajya the 2 stories in CD? I know Hajya is.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

So I've mentioned here before that I wanted to get a super famicom, I know I could mod an existing NTSC snes to play super famicom games but Id rather not physically alter the system in anyway. So is this retron 5 worth it?

I know it can play super famicom games natively correct? As well as a host of other systems over hdmi. I've heard you can even apply English patches to japanese games using the retron 5, how difficult is it to do that and does it require any other equipment to do so?

Am I better off getting a super famicom?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Unless you collect hardware, you are way better off with the Retron 5.

SRAM saves dump to the system (so no dead batteries)
Save states
Translation patches are a piece of cake to apply, just download one from ROMhacking.net or whatever and put the file on an SD card that plugs into the Retron
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Jmustang1968 wrote:Yeah I was thinking of FC. Isn't Gaiden and hajya the 2 stories in CD? I know Hajya is.

Yes, that is correct.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Unless you collect hardware, you are way better off with the Retron 5.

SRAM saves dump to the system (so no dead batteries)
Save states
Translation patches are a piece of cake to apply, just download one from ROMhacking.net or whatever and put the file on an SD card that plugs into the Retron

Damn I didn't know it eliminated the dead battery save issue. That's a big plus for me as I'm incapable of changing cart batteries.

How's the compatibility though? Can it play Castlevania 3 or Super Mario RPG? Or other games with special enhancement chips?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Seems to have near 100% compatibility from what I can tell. Every game I've tried to boot has worked.

The only issues I see reported these days are with unofficial carts - repros, hacks, multicarts, and so. And most of those still work anyway. Hell, the Retron 5 even recognizes my copy of Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes (ie: the title is displayed on the R5 main screen).