WELL THIS IS INTERESTING.. Retron 5

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: WELL THIS IS INTERESTING.. Retron 5

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Thierry Henry wrote:Speaking of GG adapters/converters,

I wonder if the RetroFreak GG adapter would work on the R5? hmm....lol
When I get a chance I'll test it and see.

I assume the Retron 5 GG adapter will only work after a firmware update (that will presumably be released alongside this new tech). I don't think the system already has a GG emulator. I could be wrong though.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

It'd be nice if they used the Master System card slot to play PC Engine, TurboGrafx, or SuperGrafx games. I've never actually compared sizes; is there a physical restriction that would prevent that?
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:

I assume the Retron 5 GG adapter will only work after a firmware update (that will presumably be released alongside this new tech). I don't think the system already has a GG emulator. I could be wrong though.

Okay totally forgot that I too owned a RetroFreak Gear Converter. Tried it out on the R5. It did nothing.
Thierry Henry
Next-Gen

Post by Thierry Henry »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:

Okay totally forgot that I too owned a RetroFreak Gear Converter. Tried it out on the R5. It did nothing.

Same here. Well it might still be usable when, as you're probably right in saying earlier, that R5 firmware update gets released.
"There are three kinds of suns in Missouri: Sunshines, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

It likely won't be usable. Look at the latest ad thing for the adapter. It says in small print on the bottom, requires Retron5 firmware number something. They'll make sure you have to buy their poorly QA'd hardware to use the accessories. Not smart enough to try and at least make some money off those who could use it on another device. :)
SpikeSlania
24-bit

Post by SpikeSlania »

Should have read through this before posting in the Sega board. Oh well, Hyperkin sent out an adapter to Metal Jesus Rocks from youtube, so it should soon be ready to sell. The idea of being able to play Game Gear games on my tv might get me to buy a Retron 5.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

If it does good on you, it's a great option. I still have a few titles left I haven't moved yet if you're interested but they're fairly common stuff.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

So I've been messing around with both the RetroFreak and Retron 5 for a few days now and I got to wondering... Can the Retron 5 play SG-1000 games? Now, they can't be inserted into the Power Base Converter, as the pin sizes of SG-1000 and North American SMS carts are not the same. (Edit: there are SG-1000 card games, though I don't own any...)

So I used Lunar IPS to create two patches that effectively replace the ROM of Captain Silver (SMS, physical cart) with that of Champion Golf (SG-1000) and Sinbad Mystery (SG-1000). Now, the games did not work, which is no great surprise. The odd thing is: the sound was functional! I pressed buttons but can't tell if I was ever playing past a title screen or if the demo just kicked in or something. Very interesting.

Makes me wonder about FDS games, but I assume there'd be no way to run those as the R5 surely lacks a BIOS, plus there's no method to "flip" disks.
Thierry Henry
Next-Gen

Post by Thierry Henry »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:The odd thing is: the sound was functional! I pressed buttons but can't tell if I was ever playing past a title screen or if the demo just kicked in or something. Very interesting..

When I was testing SG-1000 card based games on the Laseractive w/ Sega PAC via a card catcher adapter, I found the same thing. Black screen but fully functional sound.
"There are three kinds of suns in Missouri: Sunshines, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

The Game Gear adapter for the Retron 5 is coming February 28th for $59.99, and you can pre-order here. This will be an eventual purchase, but not until I can get an FC/NES adapter that may be able to solve my NES pin issue. I'd rather pay $25 instead of $160 again, plus you still can't find the new units at retail price!
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.