Gamestop selling "vintage" games online in the near future

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Gamestop now selling "vintage" games

Post by CRTGAMER »

bryan_65 wrote:There go all the Genesis clam shells out the window. :lol:

I am for this as long as the would keep all the cases, but I doubt that will happen since they already get rid of PS2 and most other as I have heard.

This is true, Gamestop will dispose of cases to make room, even if it is only an online sale. I never reserve a game at Online Gamestop. The unknown of getting a game CIB or just a disc since it is the same SKU. Now in the case of carts, pretty much a given it will be game cart only.

I don't like it, even if it is only online Gamestop sales. Competition is a good thing but not a Monopoly. This will be the final nail, on the independent Retro Store coffin.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Post by sevin0seven »

it also means we may have to peel those price tag on the front label of the carts... :?
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

Post by foxhound1022 »

This is very disconcerting. GS already has monopolized the current-gen market; they need to stay the hell outta the retro scene.

Perhaps it is a move to possibly bolster future sales with all the heavy talk of next-gen going to purely digital content?
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

Perhaps it is a move to possibly bolster future sales with all the heavy talk of next-gen going to purely digital content?

Yep. I've been thinking about this for quite some time actually. It's inevitable unfortunately...
Ack

Post by Ack »

I'm not too concerned about the Mom and Pop stores down here, as Gamestop has either already bought them all out or put them out of business where I live. But that doesn't mean I'll happily go buy from them if the condition of their offerings isn't up to snuff.

I also wonder if this is some attempt to retaliate over moves to digital distribution...
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

Post by foxhound1022 »

IDK, but I'm definitely not looking forward to it; too much uncertainty when you don't physically own said games.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

foxhound1022 wrote:This is very disconcerting. GS already has monopolized the current-gen market; they need to stay the hell outta the retro scene.

Maybe if people stopped purchasing from Gamestop, instead of continuing to patronize them and add to our giant thread of "here's how gamestop sucked today".
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
bryan_65
Next-Gen

Post by bryan_65 »

MrPopo wrote:Maybe if people stopped purchasing from Gamestop, instead of continuing to patronize them and add to our giant thread of "here's how gamestop sucked today".

+1

I have not shopped there since 2006 (Twilight Princes per-order).
harper
Next-Gen

Post by harper »

MrPopo wrote:Maybe if people stopped purchasing from Gamestop, instead of continuing to patronize them and add to our giant thread of "here's how gamestop sucked today".

lol So true.

sevin0seven wrote:it also means we may have to peel those price tag on the front label of the carts... :?

But they did say they want to get into this because of collectors so maybe they'll take into account the fact that collectors don't like things in crappy condition with stickers all over them.

...Ok, yeah probably not.
DinnerX
Next-Gen

Post by DinnerX »

I'm almost certain nothing good can come from this. Prices will probably go up and games will probably get torn up. Oh joy.
Since this signature affects old posts, I'm leaving a message here in case anyone searches for my username. This account died in early 2013. I am no longer a fundamentalist.

Don't add to my problems by pretending my past views are still held in the present. I do not have any patience for that. Feel free to ask me what I think now.