The Pixel Nation is Formed

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Lorfarius
16-bit

The Pixel Nation is Formed

Post by Lorfarius »

After a mention on podcast 40, thought I'd throw up a quick thread and bring up our second issue of Pixel Nation, now available on the site and of course every printed copy comes with a free PDF for those who can’t wait:

http://pixel-nation.co.uk/index.php/online-store/product/144-pixel-nation-issue-2

One of the great things about PN is that we can really take feedback on board and make changes yes we have listened to everyone’s comments. This time offering a more streamlined and professional look yet still maintaining that retro feel the first issue brought. We have also changed the binding and page sets of the books which was a comment a few made with PN1, it’s a much nicer look and feel all round!

With a mix of hired writers, designers and a push to improve here’s what we have to show for all our efforts:

Wizard of Woz - Proud to present an interview with Steve Wozniak who talks about his time developing the BASIC language behind Apple Computers and his own introduction to programming. You have no idea how big of a plus this is for us! Not just another Apple story, it goes into details you won't have read about before!
Atari in the Land of the Rising Sun – There aren’t many retro gamers that don’t know the rise and fall of Atari. But little is said of what happened to its Japanese division during these times. Pixel Nation explores the unknown history behind Atari Japan.
Dizzy: The Journey – One of the most fondly remembered heroes of yesteryear, we take a walk through the full series from past to present.
Philip Vachey interview - A chat with the composer behind Alone in the Dark, Little Big Adventure series and the Dreamcast classic Toy Commander.
Bluffers Guide to Touhou – A literal trip through a series of bullet hell shooters, our Touhou article aims to give the definitive introduction to this classic series.
Guy Wilhelmy – One of the most infamous Spectrum games collections ever committed to tape, Pixel Nation speaks to the man behind Cassette 50 of Cascade Games Ltd.
Final Fantasy VII: Through the Lifestream – A series without an end, there’s nothing Final about this Fantasy. In this issues cover special we take a closer look at the effect of Final Fantasy VII on the JRPG genre and the road to its development.
Peter J. Favoro Ph.D – We sit down with the original Alter Ego creator to discover the story behind its creation, so join us on a journey through the mind and the games creation!
Tim Wright – Discusses the music behind the Shadow Of The Beast games
The Cats out the Bag – Before the Atari Jaguar there was another cat that prowled the gaming forest. We take a look into a lost piece of gaming history, the Atari Panther.

Also:

Bubble Bobble Design Classics
World of NES Accessories

And many more!

A lot of hard work went into this, we are just a group of retro collectors wanting to do something special and I'm really proud of what we have come up with.

Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: The Pixel Nation is Formed

Post by Anapan »

Wow, this is awesome! Every article is relevant to my interests and exactly what I want in a gaming magazine - like you read my mind and made it for me. I'll be ordering the rest of them as they come out too.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Lorfarius
16-bit

Post by Lorfarius »

Thanks Anapen. It's only a small team at present but as we receive more support I'm hoping to build.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

My printed coppies just came in! To anyone who bought or will buy this, do yourself a favour and wait 'till they arrive in the mail. The quality between the digital version and the print version is vast. The paper and binding are really high quality - Heavy gloss sheets that put nearly every videogame book and magazine I've got to shame. Kudos to everyone involved!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Lorfarius
16-bit

Post by Lorfarius »

Glad it arrived safe and sound :) The 2nd issue had an improved cover/print run but we have been in talks to improve the spine for future issues. We will improve I promise :)
Lorfarius
16-bit

Post by Lorfarius »

Fantastic news and what I'm hoping will excite some of you, both issues of Pixel Nation are now available for £5.99. This lasts until the 20th August so just 2 weeks or until the stock runs out.

Thanks to a special offer from the printers we have been given a much lower price on the current print run but once they are gone its back to normal. We only have a small number of these so it really is first come, first serve.

Who knows if this goes well it might become a more regular price assuming I can negotiate enough with the printers!

Issue 1 can be found here:

http://pixel-nation....-nation-issue-1

Issue 2:

http://pixel-nation....-nation-issue-2

I've also dropped the price of the PDF download to match as well.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

Lorfarius wrote:Fantastic news and what I'm hoping will excite some of you, both issues of Pixel Nation are now available for £5.99. This lasts until the 20th August so just 2 weeks or until the stock runs out.

Thanks to a special offer from the printers we have been given a much lower price on the current print run but once they are gone its back to normal. We only have a small number of these so it really is first come, first serve.

Who knows if this goes well it might become a more regular price assuming I can negotiate enough with the printers!

Issue 1 can be found here:

http://pixel-nation....-nation-issue-1

Issue 2:

http://pixel-nation....-nation-issue-2

I've also dropped the price of the PDF download to match as well.

Ooh,thanks for the reminder to order these
Yancakes
64-bit

Post by Yancakes »

Just ordered both issues all the way to British Columbia! Looking forward to receiving them... in like eight months :lol:
Flake

Post by Flake »

I really love the mid-90's Electronic Gaming Monthly style lay out. Instant nostalgia.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
Yancakes
64-bit

Post by Yancakes »

Apparently I cursed myself- just got an email notification saying that the printers are delivering the magazines late :oops: