Project PSIO - SD Card Modification for the PS1 / PSX

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: Project PSIO - SD Card Modification for the PS1 / PSX

Post by Jagosaurus »

nightrnr wrote:Yeah, it's totally an exciting breakthrough.
Not as essential as my Saturn's Rhea (try emulating that system, it's not always pretty :wink: ), but the PS1 library is so diverse and the original systems (many broken) so neglected these days, it's just great to make it relevant and useful again.

I'm finding that some of my discs have errors on them. Granted, those ones were in rougher shape and most of my collection is pretty nice, but it makes me wonder how many will have issues. Couple that with my PC disc drive tray going out, and I may have a crisis on my hands until I can install a replacement.
But thank heavens for emulation sites...

I installed my PSIO on an old 1001 model.
The soldering is not a beginner job, but doable if a soldering iron doesn't scare you. I cursed a bit during my operation, but was done in about an hour and a half.
Use flux on those via points, it's very easy to fry the area.

I'm afraid, these are going to be very hard to get a hold of for a while. They are equipped for small mass orders, but ODE's (Optical Drive Emulators) are a pretty new thing and they are filling a vacuum-like demand... for a VERY prolific system.

If you want one, you pretty much have to be obsessive about it and make their site your new favorite web page...
...and then have a bit of luck.

My set of ODE's so far are as follows:
2x Rhea (Saturn, 1 for Memory Cart, 1 for Ram Cart)
GDEMU (Dreamcast)
PSIO (Playstation)
USB for 3DO (3DO Goldstar)

...and then there's the soft mods for PS2 and oXbox to load games off the HDD.

My next ODE (if it ever happens), I'll be gunning for a PC-Engine CD^2.
And what if someone makes one for Sega CD? (really, an oXbox ought to do for me there, just haven't dedicated one to it).

Debating whether to get a USB-GDROM for another Dreamcast some day. A bit excessive,yes. But there's always something that plays better on one.
And what if my old model Saturns go out?, maybe I should get a Phoebe for the newer models just in case that's all I can find to replace).

And now you guys know just how insane I have become.
Who hates me now :P ?

This post is going to put me in research mode :shock: and potentially costs me a lot of money :roll: ...

lol thank you and dang you.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

FYI nghtmr, that post above was one of the catalyst for my PS2 HDD project you helped me on :)

Looks like this device goes back on sale in October.

nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Jagosaurus wrote:FYI nigtmr, that post above was one of the catalyst for my PS2 HDD project you helped me on :)

Happy to spread the madness. :)

It takes forever to get a hold of one of these for your ps1 even after you finally place an order, but well worth it. You may be getting into it at a good time too, as there's supposed to be a big compatibility update in the coming weeks/months.

I have decided that I have become more of a hobbyist than a gamer these days. Most of my gaming focus has been learning about how to make older game systems relevant to present technology.
Just got an XRGB-3 from Apolloboy, for instance. After a lot of reading, I have concluded that this is way better than a Frameister for my purposes (assuming VGA inputs stay available on some TVs, but still a good option even if I have just have HDMI to work with).
...just another lost soul...
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

nightrnr wrote:
Jagosaurus wrote:FYI nigtmr, that post above was one of the catalyst for my PS2 HDD project you helped me on :)

Happy to spread the madness. :)

It takes forever to get a hold of one of these for your ps1 even after you finally place an order, but well worth it. You may be getting into it at a good time too, as there's supposed to be a big compatibility update in the coming weeks/months.

I have decided that I have become more of a hobbyist than a gamer these days. Most of my gaming focus has been learning about how to make older game systems relevant to present technology.
Just got an XRGB-3 from Apolloboy, for instance. After a lot of reading, I have concluded that this is way better than a Frameister for my purposes (assuming VGA inputs stay available on some TVs, but still a good option even if I have just have HDMI to work with).

I really enjoy that aspect as well. The original xbox & Wii mods are next on my list.

The CD drive emulators and PSIO after those two.

nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

I can probably help you when you get to the oXbox, as I mess with those periodically. I even successfully brought a system back from the dead by making my own eeprom reader so I could prepare a HDD for a system that had a faulty one. That was an awesome triumph for me. It kills me when I hear about people throwing away systems when they can be salvaged or re-purposed.
I more or less know the ins and outs of the modding process, but I may be using outdated installers (which I have had no issues with).
Like the PS2 soft-mod, it will require getting a save on to your memory card.

With the Wii, I would probably over-complicate the matter. But you should totally take the 1st step(s), to install the Homebrew Channel. It's easy and is the gateway for everything else.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

nightrnr wrote:I can probably help you when you get to the oXbox, as I mess with those periodically. I even successfully brought a system back from the dead by making my own eeprom reader so I could prepare a HDD for a system that had a faulty one. That was an awesome triumph for me. It kills me when I hear about people throwing away systems when they can be salvaged or re-purposed.
I more or less know the ins and outs of the modding process, but I may be using outdated installers (which I have had no issues with).
Like the PS2 soft-mod, it will require getting a save on to your memory card.

With the Wii, I would probably over-complicate the matter. But you should totally take the 1st step(s), to install the Homebrew Channel. It's easy and is the gateway for everything else.

I'll definitely shoot you a PM. I'm actually researching oXbox model #s now & will likely buy one soon. I really enjoyed sharing the PS2 mod with the group but debating on make a dedicated thread on an oXbox mod. Either way, I'll reach out.

We're on the same page about preserving these consoles but future proofing them for digital games :)

IcKy99
Next-Gen

Post by IcKy99 »

Any word on when these are gonna get produced again? ?? I'm really late. ..
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Looks like late January or February for the next order, which is supposed to be a larger "Mass Produced" batch.
Demand is still high, but scoring one should be easier than past ordering windows.
Of course, then there's the wait to have it done and shipped to you.
Keep up the obsession and you will have one eventually (how I got mine).
Really compatibility is still being worked on, so you might be better off with the wait anyways.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Bc this is using the serial port, is thus technically considered an ODE? Just curious how they're classifying it.

nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Technically no. An ODE would directly take the place of the disc drive. But it serves the same purpose, as I see it.

I think someone should make one (an ODE) to compete with psio. Compatibility could only benefit, and it would include the later models and psone units (which psio currently doesn't support).