Project PSIO - SD Card Modification for the PS1 / PSX

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Re: Project PSIO - SD Card Modification for the PS1 / PSX

Post by nightrnr »

Yes, yes it is.

You need to create a text file and rename it "game.LST", where game name can be anything. You then itemize the disc files.
It's in the PSIO manual, and can be slightly tricky to set up, depending on if you want to get to another folder on your SD card or if you want to cycle the disc changes a different way.

The file itself is simple enough though and works fine (I tested with Driver 2) I'm overcomplicating.

In operation, you just eject and re-insert the SD card to simulate the disc change.
...just another lost soul...
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Interesting...

Thanks for clearing up.

This plus PS2 games off HDD are projects I'm considering.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

Jagosaurus wrote:Interesting...

Thanks for clearing up.

If you want a mod-chipped PS1, lmk. Discs for free. I can still do PS2 with HDD, too.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Jagosaurus wrote:Interesting...

Thanks for clearing up.

Forgot to mention that the PSIO manual is dowloaded from this page:

http://ps-io.com/downloads/

Have a look see if you want more info on multi disc.

Oh, and PS2 games through OPL (and sometimes HD Loader) is totally worthwile, with Phat models anyways.
I still need to get the other half of my games copied on to another Hard drive.
Sometimes can be frustrating though. Like, I can't get Zone of the Enders to save for some reason (using either program). I probably just copied it weird, as I can find no record of incompatibility.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

How's the capability so far now that you've had some test time?

Any issues with saved games? I'm really interested in this.

Seems a bit more hassle free that the PS2 HDD, more like the everdrives, once you knock out the soldering. How long would that mod take roughly?

nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Oh, I'm waiting for the next firmware to test much more (supposed to fix a bunch of things, hopefully my precious Tempest X3).
Also, I'm hoping to compare compatibilities with more users, once the next batch ships and there's more people that have the thing.
The propriety cue files (cu2), for games that require them, have to match your copy of the game. But the cu2's are available for download on the forum and work in my testing (Doom and Rayman).

But... compatibility is great so far. I even got a couple imports running without any trouble (no extra files or trickery needed).
Tried with bin, iso, and img files.

Saving seems fine too, but only recognizes the 1st memory card port (mc2 is disabled for whatever reason. You can still copy files to and from on the main/official bios screen, but not while psio is recognized or running).

Been using a 128GB SD card :o (formatted to fat32) and it actually recognizes it. I think I'll fill it up just a few games at a time though.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

nightrnr wrote:Oh, I'm waiting for the next firmware to test much more (supposed to fix a bunch of things, hopefully my precious Tempest X3).
Also, I'm hoping to compare compatibilities with more users, once the next batch ships and there's more people that have the thing.
The propriety cue files (cu2), for games that require them, have to match your copy of the game. But the cu2's are available for download on the forum and work in my testing (Doom and Rayman).

But... compatibility is great so far. I even got a couple imports running without any trouble (no extra files or trickery needed).
Tried with bin, iso, and img files.

Saving seems fine too, but only recognizes the 1st memory card port (mc2 is disabled for whatever reason. You can still copy files to and from on the main/official bios screen, but not while psio is recognized or running).

Been using a 128GB SD card :o (formatted to fat32) and it actually recognizes it. I think I'll fill it up just a few games at a time though.

This is all great news! Really surprised this project isn't creating more buzz. My PS1 collection is relatively modest. There are a lot of games I'd like to try or re-experience from when I was young. This falls right in line with my recent flash cart purchases (as you compared this to earlier as well). I need to see how intense the soldering is. Hoping these guys continue making these and they don't become a rarity.

As more PS1 discs and discs drives begin to fail, this could help preserve the act of playing on hardware 20+ years from now as well.

nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Yeah, it's totally an exciting breakthrough.
Not as essential as my Saturn's Rhea (try emulating that system, it's not always pretty :wink: ), but the PS1 library is so diverse and the original systems (many broken) so neglected these days, it's just great to make it relevant and useful again.

I'm finding that some of my discs have errors on them. Granted, those ones were in rougher shape and most of my collection is pretty nice, but it makes me wonder how many will have issues. Couple that with my PC disc drive tray going out, and I may have a crisis on my hands until I can install a replacement.
But thank heavens for emulation sites...

I installed my PSIO on an old 1001 model.
The soldering is not a beginner job, but doable if a soldering iron doesn't scare you. I cursed a bit during my operation, but was done in about an hour and a half.
Use flux on those via points, it's very easy to fry the area.

I'm afraid, these are going to be very hard to get a hold of for a while. They are equipped for small mass orders, but ODE's (Optical Drive Emulators) are a pretty new thing and they are filling a vacuum-like demand... for a VERY prolific system.

If you want one, you pretty much have to be obsessive about it and make their site your new favorite web page...
...and then have a bit of luck.

My set of ODE's so far are as follows:
2x Rhea (Saturn, 1 for Memory Cart, 1 for Ram Cart)
GDEMU (Dreamcast)
PSIO (Playstation)
USB for 3DO (3DO Goldstar)

...and then there's the soft mods for PS2 and oXbox to load games off the HDD.

My next ODE (if it ever happens), I'll be gunning for a PC-Engine CD^2.
And what if someone makes one for Sega CD? (really, an oXbox ought to do for me there, just haven't dedicated one to it).

Debating whether to get a USB-GDROM for another Dreamcast some day. A bit excessive,yes. But there's always something that plays better on one.
And what if my old model Saturns go out?, maybe I should get a Phoebe for the newer models just in case that's all I can find to replace).

And now you guys know just how insane I have become.
Who hates me now :P ?
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

I've started down that road, but have diverted a bit to arcade love. Sold my USB modded 3do, sold my GDEMU... not gonna say I won't buy them back some day, but for now my interest has moved away.

Still will probably get a psio some day though. Wish they had delivered on HDD loading though.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

3DO is pretty unnecessary, but I just couldn't ignore those Dungeon and Dragons games. It also represents an awkward, yet fascinating time in the industry.
As for the Dreamcast, I could never give that up; too many good memories.

The PSIO not having HDD doesn't bother me that much. It would be a good option, but limiting it to non moving storage means there's even less you have to worry about failing (in my experience). Plus, most of the games aren't too big (as opposed to DVD sizes). And it's convenient enough to switch SD cards anyhow.
I could go on, but I'm just happy to have a digital PS1 option in the 1st place.

Can't wait until it is available for PSone systems, as I have a screen for one and that would make it an excellent bedside system (psp options notwithstanding).