Castlevania: Rondo of Blood is coming to Virtual Console!

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Re: Castlevania: Rondo of Blood is coming to Virtual Console!

Post by Gamerforlife »

Ramatut4001 wrote:
Gamerforlife wrote:
Ramatut4001 wrote:Yes, whoever wrote this isn't too well versed in PC Engine history. LOL at "Japanese PC's".

This game is the main reason I've always wanted a Turbo Duo. I've played it on an emulator but I got stuck on Death. I played DXC and got stuck on Death! This is one of the only "old school hard" games that I'm willing to practice enough to beat.

There is an extra battle with Dracula that I think is exclusive to Dracula X:Chronicles. It is EPIC!!!!!! That alone makes the whole package worth owning.

The collector in me would love to have the original PC Engine version of Rhondo, but I think with TWO versions of it on DX:Chronicles and an improved Symphony of the Night, DX:Chronicles makes all other versions of Rhondo and Symphony of the Night irrelevant. It is the ultimate Castlevania package

It is quite the compilation and it's very cheap. It can be downloaded on PSN for $15 and Amazon has the UMD for $13.56 right now.

Yup, didn't know about it being on PSN but that's cool. I have the UMD, first PSP game I got. That game really won me over when during my battle with Dracula in the Rhondo remake THE SKY STARTING RAINING BLOOD!!!

That is one of the coolest moments in any game ever.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Ramatut4001
128-bit

Post by Ramatut4001 »

That's rad. You've inspired me to go back to DCX and keep plugging away. I'm doing a luck mode playthrough of SOTN right now. I'm playing the PSone download from PSN so I can jump back and forth between the PSP and the PS3. I just copy the save file back and forth.

Here's the ESRB info for the forthcoming VC release:
http://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsis.js ... chkeyword=

CASTLEVANIA RONDO OF BLOOD

Platform: Wii
Share |

Rating: Teen

Content descriptors: Animated Blood, Fantasy Violence

Rating summary:

This is a side-scrolling action game in which players battle against monsters and sprite-like minions through eight different stages. Players use a chained whip to fight their way through the 2D-style environments (graveyards, halls, rooms, etc.), which are filled with an assortment of fantasy creatures (skeletons, demons, flying eyeballs, etc.). Weapons such as boomerangs, axes, and holy water can also be used to defeat enemies that react to damage by roaring or screaming, flashing red, blinking off the screen, or briefly spewing a blood-like fluid. Enemy creatures frequently shoot small projectiles (fireballs, bones, etc.) at players; and boss battles involve more protracted one-on-one combat. If players are defeated, their character (Richter or Maria) may also flash red, cry out, dissolve into reddish blood-like bursts; and though the effect is somewhat unrealistic, an early-90s rendering, it still has some impact and factors into the Teen rating. [The Fantasy Violence descriptor signifies that the game is lower on the Teen rating spectrum]
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Gamerforlife wrote:
Ziggy587 wrote:NO FUCKING WAY!!!!

When they released it on Castlevania Dracula X Chonicles, that's why I bought a PSP. But playing it on the little screen didn't cut it for me. I'm so glad to hear that it's coming to VC! I can't wait!

I actually bought CDXC for what I considered to be the best version of Symphony of the Night, which I love(see my avatar). For me, Dracula X was the bonus, not the other way around. The remake is pretty awesome though, and still makes Dracula X Chronicles worth playing

Yeah, but I have the Saturn version. Not saying all the new stuff in the PSP isn't great, but I have a hard time enjoying a game to it's fullest on a small screen. I bought the component cables so I can play games on my TV, but it doesn't look that great.

I played the remake of Rondo, but truth be told, I haven't played the original version. I just don't like the small screen and I wanted to really enjoy Rondo when I play it. Looks like my wait paid off, I'll get it for VC as soon as it comes out.

Oh, and about your avatar... I'll one-up you by getting THAT Death tattooed on me! You know when you first meet Death in SotN? The pose that he's in, with his sickle going across his shoulder? I've always wanted that as a tattoo. Last year I got Medusa on my leg, and some time probably this summer I'm gonna get the rest done. The rest being all the bosses from the original Castlevania, including Death in that pose.

Inazuma wrote:Good news for me. I would like to buy this game for my PC Engine but it's been selling for absurd prices on ebay.

I always wanted to get it, too, but the prices kept me away. If I owned the system, I would have already owned it. But since I have to buy the game AND the system (just for that one game) it makes it too expensive.
Dylan
Next-Gen

Post by Dylan »

Awesome, I can finally play it on a console. Does anyone know if it's just a port? The game was easy enough to navigate in the original, but it would be nice to get it localized somewhat.
Ramatut4001
128-bit

Post by Ramatut4001 »

It's out. I downloaded it last night. Awesome game but hard as hell. I never made it past Death on the PSP remake. We'll see how far I get on this one.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I downloaded it last night before I went to school but I haven't played it yet. I've been waiting a long time to sink my teeth into this game!
jfe2
Next-Gen

Post by jfe2 »

I just picked this up after reading about the game for years. I beat Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth a few days ago, so I'm still in the Castlevania mood. I can't wait to play through it! For anyone that already has, how does it compare to Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth? Is it longer or more difficult?
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

Let me get this straight... The PSP Drac X has an "original mode" and a remake, plus a SotN unlockable with extras over the PS / Saturn versions of SotN?

Capcom really loaded that with goods.

Ivo.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

jfe2 wrote:I just picked this up after reading about the game for years. I beat Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth a few days ago, so I'm still in the Castlevania mood. I can't wait to play through it! For anyone that already has, how does it compare to Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth? Is it longer or more difficult?

Ha! You're in for a treat. It's much longer, but don't worry, there's a save function! And in fact, you can backtrack to previous levels to find alternate routes or to try and find and rescue 1 of 4 girls. It's absolutely fantastic.

Ivo wrote:Let me get this straight... The PSP Drac X has an "original mode" and a remake, plus a SotN unlockable with extras over the PS / Saturn versions of SotN?

Capcom really loaded that with goods.

Ivo.

Konami?

The PSP version of SotN doesn't have anything over the Saturn version. You get the two extra familiars found in the JPN version of SotN on PS1 and the Saturn version, you fight Maria to get the holy goggles like in the Saturn version, and you can play as Maria after you beat the game (you enter 'Maria' in as your name, just like you do to play as Richter). But in the Saturn version you have the option to play as any three character straight from the beginning, without ever having to beat the game. Also, they made Maria a lot different to play as in the PSP version. From what I understand, she's a lot harder to play as in the PSP version than the Saturn version. I wouldn't be able to go into more detail because 5 minutes after I started a Maria file the game froze.

Speaking of the game freezing, it kept freezing for me when I would go into the Nightmare coffin (where you fight the Succubus). Luckily, there's a save point right across the hall that I always hit up before going to fight the Succubus. So I didn't know why it was freezing, than I found out that there's a glitch with the two new familiars and the game can lock up when you take them into boss fights. There's apparently some other glitches in the PSP SotN but those two instances of the game freezing where the only two I've encountered.

And I'm still bitter that they put it out on a hand held. Why couldn't they have put Dracula X Chronicles out for PS2? Now I'm stuck playing these two awesome versions of these two games on a tiny ass screen, or all fuzzy on my TV screen when I use the component cables.
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

Ivo wrote:Capcom really loaded that with goods.

What? Capcom has nothing to do with these games.