Magfest!

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Cronson
64-bit

Re: Magfest!

Post by Cronson »

meat wrote:
Cronson wrote:
meat wrote::D going this year.i hope.can i bring a system?i want to play somebody in super spike v'ball

Haha, I was just thinking how fun some Super Spike V Ball would be! Wasn't it 4 player?

yup its 4 player.i am bringing my gamecube modded with a sd media launcher.got NES,SNES,sega and tg 16.even got adapters that let u use snes pads. :twisted:

Meat, I am totally down. You should see if you can set that up in the game room.

To the other guy about the cost, yeah I feel ya. I've looked into that area and it does look really expensive. I did find out parking is $11 a night instead of $21. Also, I think with the size of the venue this year, you could come out and buy a one day pass (IE it shouldn't sell out) which has been $10 in the past.

I was tempted to set something up and sell hotdogs to make some money and hook everyone up with cheap eats.
meat
64-bit

Post by meat »

so how does this game room work??is my stuff going to be safe if i walk away for a min.
youtube@gamingtrucker1
twitter@gamingtrucker1
twitch@gamingtrucker1
Majors
128-bit

Post by Majors »

meat wrote:so how does this game room work??is my stuff going to be safe if i walk away for a min.

The console room staff can label your gear and watch it, but it's prety much a friendly crowd working on the honesty system*. Cabs that we bring, of course are pretty safe with locks and the fact that the cab is 200+ pounds. I've heard horror stories from stuff ganked from the coat check area, but not much from the console setups. You can alwasy zip tie your gear or lock box it.

*With the con growing larger, there is gonna be more and more less-than-cool ppl attending that opens up the problem of theft. Nature of the beast...
Majors -=- Wedoca '22
dogman91
128-bit

Post by dogman91 »

Who else is going to Magfest X this year? I'm pumped! Nobuo Uematsu is showing up too! :D

I went last year and it was simply amazing... I urge all of you guys to get there somehow even if you're not in the area.
Cronson
64-bit

Post by Cronson »

I'll bump this. I'm getting so pumped for it. Dogman, what panels can you recommend? I went to the Wes Johnson one last year and LOVED it. He was nearly a comedian. Even 2 of my friends who aren't into gaming thought he was amazing. Anything you recommend?
dogman91
128-bit

Post by dogman91 »

Cronson wrote:I'll bump this. I'm getting so pumped for it. Dogman, what panels can you recommend? I went to the Wes Johnson one last year and LOVED it. He was nearly a comedian. Even 2 of my friends who aren't into gaming thought he was amazing. Anything you recommend?

I focused on all the game audio/music-related panels because that's what I'm interested in. Met Grant Kirkhope (composer for Banjo-Kazooie, Perfect Dark, etc. and my idol) and he checked out my music! :shock: Great way to meet a lot of people who develop games as well as learn a lot. Hiroki Kikuta (Secret of Mana composer) had a really insightful panel as well... basically for game audio go to any and all panels you can, even if they don't sound like much. That was the case for me with Alexander Brandon's panel (composer for Deus Ex) looking at the description, and it ended up being really interesting and informative.

For stuff that is simply "fun" (though the music ones are too!), the Angry Video Game Nerd's and any of Screwattack's panels are great if you're into their videos. Screwattack has a yearly "ritual" as well, where they and anyone else gather around with them and destroy copies of Shaq Fu if you want to look out for that... Also, for what it's worth, the panels with Jon St. John (Duke Nukem voice) are usually pretty popular. I couldn't go to EVERYTHING last year because I was only staying for certain portions of the days, but this time I am staying at the hotel itself and therefore will attempt to go to everything :D . You really can't go wrong with any of the panels there... for panels I am at the very least definitely going to this year would be Grant Kirkhope's on Saturday and whatever Nobuo Uematsu is involved in.

This link has been VERY useful as a homepage on my phone, by the way: http://courtwright.org/magfest/schedule/
It conveniently shows everything that's going on for that day by the hour... way better than looking at signs and printed off sheet of paper as the times for things change as well.
Cronson
64-bit

Post by Cronson »

Dogman, thanks! That's some great advice. And I will bookmark that link on my phone! Good call.
RetroGaming Roundup

Post by RetroGaming Roundup »

Hey everyone Scott from RGRUP here, Tony, cool to run into you on here, I am sure you are as busy as I am getting ready for the load in. I look forward to hanging with you in the arcade all week. We are all about MAGFEST and I am bringing two trucks worth of games, be sure to stop by our booth and say hello (look for our banner and the Family Guy pinball.

-Oh, also, we plugged the Racketboy Coleco guide in this months show, another great 101 article.
Check out our show at www.RetroGamingRoundup.com
Majors
128-bit

Post by Majors »

Scott -> I've been working all day everyday for the past two weeks making sure everything is 100%, just like you I'm sure. Starting my load up today in fact. I only have my 16' box truck, but some real gems are in there. The drive is gonna be long haul for me and my crew, but Wednesday night until Monday morning will be gaming/party bliss. See you Tomorrow!

I guess I forgot to plug RB with MAGFest...oh well. If you're a gamer or play games or just want to buy games to sit on the shelf, or listen to music...or breath, you should be at MAGFest this weekend.
Majors -=- Wedoca '22
Cronson
64-bit

Post by Cronson »

Earthbound Papas! Who's going?