WELL THIS IS INTERESTING.. Retron 5

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: WELL THIS IS INTERESTING.. Retron 5

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I haven't updated my system in some time now. Haven't felt the need.

Oh and I now have two bent pins in the SNES slot. Might get in there later with some tools to try to straighten them out. Annoying.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I was told the $20 increase was about them making the systems more sturdy and in particular the pin slots. Perhaps wait as long as you can to give it time to get circulated into the system with them and warranty swap it out so it's the nicer more sturdy release of the hardware.
skel28

Post by skel28 »

To TSTR, IPS patching still working on latest (2.1) firmware.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

skel28 wrote:To TSTR, IPS patching still working on latest (2.1) firmware.

Thanks for the info!
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I finally own a R5 again, more or less. ;)

I'm up to system 4, but this one appears to be solid. #1 as you know died having nes cart reading issues. #2 arrived beat up outside DOA firmware inside. #3 arrived to replace that, factory defect with wiring over the famicom cart slot inside the plastic doors.

I said more or less as it's not all here. I was supposed to get a total new system in box. I ended up getting color swapped to BLACK, and nothing but the system+box showed up. I had to call them, they got confused and called me back. I ended up holding onto the gray one I have now until they can send me a black controller this week so I can send them back the gray system+controller. The black system to their credit was brand new, just wasn't anything in the box with it is all. It was fun being able to play some GBA games, Wild Guns and Kirby along with SMB1 last night. The black one I think is nicer looking now that I have it just because it doesn't have that jarring color clash on top that the gray model has.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Seems I have my pins mostly realigned. I used a tiny eyeglasses screwdriver.

I was working the SNES slot pretty hard over the course of several days, as I was testing all applicable ROM translations. Still, pins shouldn't bend this quickly. My legitimate SNES pins look fine and that beast is over 20 years old. The Retron 5 is built from cheap Chinese parts, I am assuming.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Not really something to assume, it's a known fact, one that hyperkin is passing off with a $20 price increase since they changed vendors or whatever to put in more sturdy pins in newer systems.
wclem
Next-Gen

Post by wclem »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Seems I have my pins mostly realigned. I used a tiny eyeglasses screwdriver.

I was working the SNES slot pretty hard over the course of several days, as I was testing all applicable ROM translations. Still, pins shouldn't bend this quickly. My legitimate SNES pins look fine and that beast is over 20 years old. The Retron 5 is built from cheaply manufactured parts, I am assuming.

Sorry man but lately when people say that it has made me re-think my view on their society as a whole. Ask yourself is it built to be cheap to exploit the ability to sell them or is it built to be cheap so everyone can enjoy something. I have many things I otherwise would not have if not for their manufacturing of them.
dsheinem wrote:In any case, sorry that my avatar makes you cringe these days, but I haven't really changed my posing habits at all.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Tanooki wrote:Not really something to assume, it's a known fact, one that hyperkin is passing off with a $20 price increase since they changed vendors or whatever to put in more sturdy pins in newer systems.

I am skeptical on this. Do you see anything different? Do the Genesis carts now not have a death grip in the cart slot? Please give a full review with pictures if you do see anything different.

As for that Black Shell, I wonder if an easy swap out to the color clash shell that is if you change your mind instead of waiting for the correct colored controller. Fro me the color clash grey model with indigo cart flaps easier to spot to insert the game carts in a darkened room.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I don't own any Genesis games. I may in the future, I'm really considering it seeing that Sega stuff doesn't get wallet rapey like Nintendo consoles of old do and I really miss at least maybe 6-10 games from that system I'd play again. What I said was based off the tech who works at the HK engineering office that I know through facebook. He seemed to recall them going with sturdier pins if not all around something else in there maybe being of a better build on top of going through and having more aggressive QA services done in general on the things to stop the problems as much as possible.

I really don't care now that I've seen both, hate to say it but 'Genesis black' is just better stylized than the clashing 'SNES gray' system. The colors just blend together in a more professional way like a modern system would do. It's just the shell either way, I'm not that big on caring either way, it's just that i wanted the system to match the controller and for them to deliver what I was promised for the hassle, a totally new system setup in the box which I got 1/2. :P