Polymega/Retroblox: New 1080p "Clone" 2600 to PCE-CD to PS1

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
bmoc
Next-Gen

Re: Polymega/Retroblox: New 1080p "Clone" 2600 to PCE-CD to

Post by bmoc »

Awesome! I'm looking forward to hearing about your experiences with the modules and bundled controllers.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Kind of surprised on the N64 module. Always heard these companies were waiting on it to hit 20 years old due to patent laws... but then we never saw anything after 2016 lol.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

https://polymega.com/blogs/system-software-updates/introducing-polymega-app

Polymega announced some new products today.

-Polymega App: Essentially, you can turn an existing PC into a Polymega base unit for FREE.
-2nd gen wireless controller: New base units will ship with this. Allegedly it has less input lag. Probably another GameSir rebranded controller if I had to guess.
-Polymega Remix: A USB Polymega base unit for your PC that is compatible with existing modules. $149
-Polymega XL subscription: Cheat Codes, Virtual Display, Patching, Audio Player, get Cloud access to your games so you can share your collection on multiple devices, compete online against friends, stream games to your mobile devices, and much more. (details are scarce right now)

That Polymega App sounds really interesting as long as they don't lock too much functionality behind the subscription. Speaking of the subscription, some of those features (such as Virtual Display, Patching, and Audio Player) are already available in the Base Unit. It doesn't sound like they are removing functionality from the Base Unit so I'm guessing those features may be locked behind the subscription in the app?
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I was going to report this as well. That's really cool about the app.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-rele ... i-Inc.html

Atari is partnering with Polymega on a 2600/7800 module and they are adding support to the Atari VCS for the upcoming Polymega app and Polymega Remix USB adapter. Atari-owned games will also appear in the Polymega store.

I hope this announcement doesn't follow the typical Polymega trend of making big grandiose plans and then going dark for several months while they struggle to bring products to fruition. They've got a lot of products in the pipeline and a poor track record of bringing products to market on schedule. Unfortunately, that seems true of most niche retro gaming hardware these days. I'm ready for these component shortages to be over!

It is interesting that an Atari VCS + Polymega Remix is $350. Meanwhile, a Polymega Base Unit is $550. They need to redesign the base unit with cheaper, easier-to-source components if they want to keep selling it.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

It's out. I have mine. It works well. People are getting them now.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

The latest firmware seems like a disaster. First, certain 4K tvs caused the update to brick your system. That is allegedly fixed but I'm seeing reports of NeoGeo CD titles running at half speed and saves states are missing for some users. Might want to avoid the latest firmware for a while unless you got the N64 module.