Site Admin

Re: Post Your Jet Grind Radio Progress

Post by racketboy »

Finally made it to Chapter 3!
Woohoo!
drozdal

Post by drozdal »

I started playing yesterday. Got through tutorial and currently I'm on stage 3. This is my first time playing JGR, and it took me a while to figure out crane grind on stage 2.

I had some major problems with my VMU - which ended with me re-starting game 4 times to get to first save point over and over again.
Curlypaul
Next-Gen

Post by Curlypaul »

Yeah that crane nearly finished me off. My problem was that I was being to careful and deliberate, thinking that speed would come later when I was used to the controls - like most other games. Once I realised that the controls somehow work better when obstacles are attacked with speed, the crane grind was mine.

I'm still getting the weird VMU message I mentioned weeks ago, that it cant save JSR because the Sega Rally 2 save needs to be deleted. It does however still save the game.

From my readings around the net I understand that the DC online service provided the ability to load your own image files into the game as graffitti - does any one know of a way to do this today?
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Completed 1 level on Chapter 3. Was doing pretty good on the 2nd, but ran out of time. I was having trouble figuring out where the last few tag spots were.
Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

I am finding this game extraordinarily frustrating. Every time I sit down and play, a constant string of expletives erupts from my game room. I spent almost 3 hours last night trying to beat Love Trap, I finally squeaked through thank god.

Tonight I beat The Monster of Kogane fairly easily, but No. 540... man. There are 3 tags in a row going up the wall in the center part of the level. The first 2 are easy enough to get, but that top one is nearly impossible. I must have circled around, 20.. 30, god knows how many times before I finally tagged it. Then the time ran out, and there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth. You'd think it would easier the 2nd time around, but it still took several dozen tries to get that top tag. Fortunately I was able to finish up the rest of the level. Only took me about an hour and a half too.

Is there some trick to this that I'm not getting? The couple times that I was able to get that top tag, it seemed like I stuck to the wall a lot better, and traveled a bit faster than usual. But I'm not quite sure how I did it.

Anyway, I really want to like this game. It's stylish as all hell. But the controls are so bad, just appallingly bad. If I really spoke my mind here, well it would make the angry video game nerd blush. And the time limit, WTF is up with that? It's not hard enough 1) exploring the entire level to find every tag 2) making ridiculous jumps over and over again until you get it right and 3) avoiding the police that they had to instate a time limit? I mean, it would be OK if they gave bonuses for completing the level under a certain time. But to try, and try, and try, and try to get a jump and finally make it, just to die a minute later for absolutely no reason. That's infuriating.

I will keep at it though, I think. After venting here, I feel better about it already :).
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Hatta wrote:I am finding this game extraordinarily frustrating. Every time I sit down and play, a constant string of expletives erupts from my game room. I spent almost 3 hours last night trying to beat Love Trap, I finally squeaked through thank god.

Tonight I beat The Monster of Kogane fairly easily, but No. 540... man. There are 3 tags in a row going up the wall in the center part of the level. The first 2 are easy enough to get, but that top one is nearly impossible. I must have circled around, 20.. 30, god knows how many times before I finally tagged it. Then the time ran out, and there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth. You'd think it would easier the 2nd time around, but it still took several dozen tries to get that top tag. Fortunately I was able to finish up the rest of the level. Only took me about an hour and a half too.

Is there some trick to this that I'm not getting? The couple times that I was able to get that top tag, it seemed like I stuck to the wall a lot better, and traveled a bit faster than usual. But I'm not quite sure how I did it.

Anyway, I really want to like this game. It's stylish as all hell. But the controls are so bad, just appallingly bad. If I really spoke my mind here, well it would make the angry video game nerd blush. And the time limit, WTF is up with that? It's not hard enough 1) exploring the entire level to find every tag 2) making ridiculous jumps over and over again until you get it right and 3) avoiding the police that they had to instate a time limit? I mean, it would be OK if they gave bonuses for completing the level under a certain time. But to try, and try, and try, and try to get a jump and finally make it, just to die a minute later for absolutely no reason. That's infuriating.

I will keep at it though, I think. After venting here, I feel better about it already :).

Which level are you having trouble tagging on? I'm not good with the names -- a desc works better for me...
Curlypaul
Next-Gen

Post by Curlypaul »

hmmm, its the brownish level with am indoor skate park on the lower part of the map which is full of cans and a pile of old cars is the only way back up to the top. Bit vague I know, but cant think of anything that distinctive about it.

I cheated a little to get that top tag, I went up to the higher level and headed down the slope that goes past the wall with the high tags on it. I then started a slow grind along the top of the wall, jumpimg off to the left as I past the tag. Still took 2 tries but still easier than a double wall grind.
frood42
8-bit

Post by frood42 »

Curlypaul wrote: Still took 2 tries but still easier than a double wall grind.

Double wall grind! :o Oh boy I'm gonna need to put some practice time on this game.
Last edited by frood42 on Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

Curlypaul wrote:I cheated a little to get that top tag, I went up to the higher level and headed down the slope that goes past the wall with the high tags on it. I then started a slow grind along the top of the wall, jumpimg off to the left as I past the tag. Still took 2 tries but still easier than a double wall grind.

That is what I did, I didn't think it was cheating at all and I didn't even think of trying to double wall grind. There are enough stupid stunts elsewhere to pull them when you don't need to :D
drozdal

Post by drozdal »

Yesterday I finished The Monster of Kogane (on second attempt, but I really enjoy to skate around, explore and get the feel of the level, before I try to finish it). Next was Garam's Challenge (which was really cool) and No. 540
(waste dump / construction area). No. 540 had most satisfying game moment for me so far - tagging and destroying helicopters.

I tried to go against Poison Jam in the sewers of Kogane Circus, but failed first time around. I know that it's not that hard, but I'm still figuring out the grinds on this level, falling to the sewers awful lot (with misjudged jumps) and trying improve my technique for tagging enemy gang members.