Together Retro: Dig Dug

Join in on our classic gaming club!
racketboy
Site Admin

Re: Together Retro: Dig Dug

Post by racketboy »

I was considering getting Dig Dug on the Virtual Console, but they want 600 points for it just because the NES version was never released outside of Japan.
Gimme a break.

Guess I'll be emulating it or playing on one of the compilations I own.
I was just hoping to have it be convenient on the Wii.

Nintendo really pisses me off sometimes.
glynnahab
128-bit

Post by glynnahab »

It's been a while since I've played this. We're having a mini-hurricane party and playing the N64 version of Namco Museum. Trying to get my gaming fix before the electricity is out. :?

I've also got the GBA and the DS batteries fully charged for later, and we have a copy of Namco for GBA.
kingmohd84 wrote:I really won't buy a console with hair,
u never know where that hair came from
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

I have the GBA one as well.
But I've been emulating the NES one.
I think I'll try the GBA one again to refresh my memory and see how it does.

BTW, the NES version is indeed pretty good.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Just an FYI, it does help to read up on how the scoring works
http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Dig_Dug/Ho ... ay#Scoring

I never knew there was different point ranges depending on how low the dirt levels are when you kill the enemies. Also using rocks gets you some nice points as well.
xraydash
32-bit

Post by xraydash »

racketboy wrote:Just an FYI, it does help to read up on how the scoring works

I never knew there was different point ranges depending on how low the dirt levels are when you kill the enemies. Also using rocks gets you some nice points as well.

Ah! That's handy. I figured some of that stuff out on my own but it's nice to see it spelled out.

Here's a strategy I've been using: The closer you are, the faster you can pump up and destroy the enemies. So if you latch on from far away, move closer as you pump to get rid of them quicker.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

xraydash wrote:
racketboy wrote:Just an FYI, it does help to read up on how the scoring works

Ah! That's handy. I figured some of that stuff out on my own but it's nice to see it spelled out.

Here's a strategy I've been using: The closer you are, the faster you can pump up and destroy the enemies. So if you latch on from far away, move closer as you pump to get rid of them quicker.

Ah! Isn't it fun trying to figure out how the scores and such vary on your own and then find out later if you were right?
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Well, I've played a few rounded on the GBA version as well.

The graphics are really nice, but you only see a fraction of the overall map. Not a huge deal, but when that last enemy makes a mad dash for an escape at the top, you may not know exactly where he is.

And maybe it's my imagination, but the enemies seem just a bit more aggressive in the GBA version.

On the plus side, the controls seem a bit more responsive on the GBA version than the NES -- even when they are both being played on the same DS Lite.

My score is a bit higher on the NES, but I've also been playing it more on the NES.
xraydash
32-bit

Post by xraydash »

racketboy wrote:Ah! Isn't it fun trying to figure out how the scores and such vary on your own and then find out later if you were right?

Definitely! And something my kids noticed that doesn't seem to be mentioned in that strategy wiki (unless I overlooked it) is that you get points just for digging out paths. Not a whole lot- 10 per space maybe?
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

xraydash wrote:
racketboy wrote:Ah! Isn't it fun trying to figure out how the scores and such vary on your own and then find out later if you were right?

Definitely! And something my kids noticed that doesn't seem to be mentioned in that strategy wiki (unless I overlooked it) is that you get points just for digging out paths. Not a whole lot- 10 per space maybe?

Yup, I noticed that too -- so if you want to rack up small points, you can just run around a bunch. Only bad thing is you might get some baddies on your tail and end up losing some lives.

BTW, I think it's awesome you're getting your kids involved. If you want to post their scores on here, that's cool too :)

I'm gonna try to get my wife into it as she enjoys Pac-Man. She can be quite good, so it will be interesting to see if she can school us as our own games :)
xraydash
32-bit

Post by xraydash »

racketboy wrote:BTW, I think it's awesome you're getting your kids involved. If you want to post their scores on here, that's cool too :)

I'm gonna try to get my wife into it as she enjoys Pac-Man. She can be quite good, so it will be interesting to see if she can school us as our own games :)

Daddy's running the leader boards right now :wink: but one of my lads was in 4th place for a while. We'll have another go-round later and I'll post some updated scores. I'm doing my best to educate them in classic retro games!

Oh, and go Ms. Racketgirl!! Maybe she'll kick our butts before it's all over.