Join in on our classic gaming club!
racketboy
Site Admin

What Port of Marble Madness Are You Playing?

by racketboy Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:54 pm

I think I'm going to start with the NES version, but I'll see if I can eventually find a trackball and give it a try in MAME.

What are you going to try?
Bastion
8-bit

Sega Genesis version?

by Bastion Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:03 pm

I see there is a Genesis version. Can we play that? Here is what a website says about it:

"This game(Sega Genesis version) is the remake from the NES game Marble Madness. The interface was pretty much the same, although the graphics and music are much better in that there is more detail on the marble and the course, not to mention that the music is more grooving than the 8-bit sound from the NES game. This game is a fun way to spend hours just rolling around the puzzle course trying to get your marbles in the hole."

Sorry for the double post!
racketboy
Site Admin

Re: Sega Genesis version?

by racketboy Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:06 pm

Bastion wrote:I see there is a Genesis version. Can we play that? Here is what a website says about it:

"This game(Sega Genesis version) is the remake from the NES game Marble Madness. The interface was pretty much the same, although the graphics and music are much better in that there is more detail on the marble and the course, not to mention that the music is more grooving than the 8-bit sound from the NES game. This game is a fun way to spend hours just rolling around the puzzle course trying to get your marbles in the hole."

Sorry for the double post!

Any version is fine -- as long as you enjoy it :)
pompeyparsons
32-bit

by pompeyparsons Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:06 pm

I'm going to be playing the Sega Genesis version of the game as I have it readily available.
Flak Beard
Next-Gen

by Flak Beard Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:45 pm

Probably the Genesis version, but I might have an old track-ball mouse lying around somewhere. Other than that, does anyone know if the MAME version would play ok with a 360 controller?

Also, I'm surprised you didn't mention Marble Blast Ultra. Although not a sequel to Marble Madness, it was definitely inspired by it. One of the best games on XBLA in my opinion.
HOW
8-bit

by HOW Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:10 am

Flak Beard wrote:Probably the Genesis version, but I might have an old track-ball mouse lying around somewhere. Other than that, does anyone know if the MAME version would play ok with a 360 controller?

Also, I'm surprised you didn't mention Marble Blast Ultra. Although not a sequel to Marble Madness, it was definitely inspired by it. One of the best games on XBLA in my opinion.

Hi here. I'm using MAMEUI.125 with a Saitek Pad (PIC Below: It's pretty much a ripoff of a PS2 analogue pad really) and to my suprise it plays fine - really quite nicely actually :D

Give it a go with your X-Box pad - I reckon you'll be OK :D
ott0bot
Next-Gen

by ott0bot Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:22 am

I'm using MAME OSX (using set 1) and it plays great....well actually I hate this game, rather I'd say it plays accurately. I've got a logitech dual analog thingy and it works pretty good. It controls a little loose. I just have no patience to play this one. It's pretty much just frustrating. I can get to level 4 no prob, then it starts to annoy me. I'll keep trying but I've never liked this game.
Ivo
Next-Gen

by Ivo Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:05 am

Are there any good trackballs that aren't too expensive? I remembered some years ago they used to be a relatively common mouse alternative, but then they sort of vanished. It would be cool to have one as then we could also use it for stuff like Missile Command, but the one I could find with a quick look is on the expensive side (Logitech optical trackballs, seems too good for what it will be used). I browsed a bit more and they are typically 30 USD an up, although there are a couple of models that seem to go for 20 USD.

Maybe playing it with a non-optical mouse upside down will work like that :D
We can play it in MAME with a regular mouse, right?

Ivo.
4ppleseed
64-bit

by 4ppleseed Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:51 am

Has to be MAME really but had a go on the Spectrum version last night... even comes with a level editor!! 8)
HOW
8-bit

by HOW Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:55 am

4ppleseed wrote:Has to be MAME really but had a go on the Spectrum version last night... even comes with a level editor!! 8)

a Level Editor? - That IS cool 8) LOL

Though when it comes to MM'ish games on home computers I always liked Spindizzy (especially on the C64 :D )
Return to Together Retro