Join in on our classic gaming club!
neoclasic
8-bit

by neoclasic Wed May 21, 2008 4:19 am

I keep playing on GBA. I hope finish this version before to move to other. I try now SCD, PSX and GBA. The PSX look great in my PS2 but I have not memory cards of PS1... not yet at least. I will pick one soon to play this.
marurun

by marurun Wed May 21, 2008 10:00 am

I decided to go with the SegaCD version. Easy to emulate on my PC and I can use headphones for the annoying voice acting parts. I kinda wanted to do the PS1 version, but then I'd have to give up the TV periodically.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ivo
Next-Gen

by Ivo Wed May 21, 2008 10:06 am

marurun wrote:I decided to go with the SegaCD version. Easy to emulate on my PC and I can use headphones for the annoying voice acting parts. I kinda wanted to do the PS1 version, but then I'd have to give up the TV periodically.

Why don't you emulate the PS1 version on the PC? Old computer? I tried PSX as advised, and it works well.

Ivo.
marurun

by marurun Wed May 21, 2008 7:55 pm

Actually, I just stopped at a Gamestop today and found they are selling Lunar Legend for GBA for, like, 7.99. Needless to say, I picked up a copy. Even if the combats are a little mindless they're supposed to be on the easy side.
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
marurun

by marurun Wed May 21, 2008 9:44 pm

In the Together Retro forums section we'd very much appreciate it if you stay on-topic. If you want to talk about unrelated things we have a number of proper forums for that.
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
NebachadnezzaR
64-bit

by NebachadnezzaR Sat May 24, 2008 12:54 pm

I'm going with the PSX port, overall it's regarded as the best version. I would prefer to play it on my real Saturn instead of a PSX emulator (my PS2 stopped reading PSX games for some reason...), but I don't know of any translations for that version and playing it in Japanese without understanding the dialogues would be missing the point.
marurun

by marurun Sat May 24, 2008 2:47 pm

I feel the same way. I have an original Japanese release, but my Japanese is very rusty now, so I wouldn't trust it to carry me through, particularly not through the animated video sections where I can't just stare at the kanji until I get it.
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
xraydash
32-bit

by xraydash Sat May 24, 2008 3:42 pm

marurun wrote:Actually, I just stopped at a Gamestop today and found they are selling Lunar Legend for GBA for, like, 7.99. Needless to say, I picked up a copy. Even if the combats are a little mindless they're supposed to be on the easy side.

I picked up a copy yesterday at Gamestop for the same price. What a deal! Watched a little bit of the intro to see what it was like. I don't know about the gameplay yet but it looks nice. I'll keep plugging away at the psx version for now and then take this one with me when we head out of town in a couple of weeks.
Ivo
Next-Gen

by Ivo Tue May 27, 2008 9:22 am

I finished the GBA port and started on the PS version (emulated). I am only starting there, I'm just about leaving Burg... The battle system is completely different (and much more enjoyable), no random battles... The story seems better structured but it's early for me to say (that seemed to be the opinion of others in this thread).

Anyone playing the GBA port exclusively, do yourself a favor and see if you can switch. If you only want to play through the game once the GBA version just isn't the one for that. I finished it and was thinking "Is this is supposed to be a classic? I hope the other versions are much better..." - and fortunately, as I suspected, at least the PS version is.

I don't understand why they didn't keep the combat system and re-introduced random encounters*.

*It's a poor trade off having to endure random encounters just so you can have this stupid "Card" collection / Gotta catchem' all" thing in the GBA...

Ivo.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:58 am

Thought I'd check in to see how everybody was liking the ports they chose.
Any regrets?
Return to Together Retro