Join in on our classic gaming club!
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Mon May 19, 2008 11:02 pm

The Sega CD version was the first RPG I beat... and when the PS1 version came out I gave up before finishing the first disk... tonight I started the PS1 version again.

So far an hour in and I just finished Quark's quest. This is bringing back memories... I am jumping around again like it was 1994 again during battles. HA!
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Pocket & Advance SP) Genesis (SCD, 32X, Nomad), SNES,
Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3 and WiiU.
Ivo
Next-Gen

by Ivo Tue May 20, 2008 3:47 am

I've been playing the GBA one.

I want to try the Sega CD version, and got a version. Kega was stopping after the (first) title screen (it just didn't do anything after that), and I figured it was a problem with music as I never heard any and it was about the time getting some sound. It was .iso and .mp3s, I tried using Sega Cue maker downloaded here from Racketboy, but it wasn't working (needed install somehow, and all we have here is an .exe or something). I tried the Snesorama Sega cue maker, installed it and it worked. I think converting the .mp3s into .wavs would work as well, but I'd rather just make the .cue.

After playing just for a bit, it's obvious the GBA port is quite gimped, no FMVs, voice and different music (as expected), but the "regular" graphics are touched up from the old Sega CD version.

I want to play the Playstation version, but that one is probably larger so I'll need to consider how to get it, and will need to tackle ePSXe and all that.

Ivo.
neoclasic
8-bit

by neoclasic Tue May 20, 2008 6:08 am

My plan with the SegaCD port is burn it under Linux with cdrecord :lol:

I agree, the GBA port is a downgrade version someway.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Tue May 20, 2008 6:44 am

Ivo wrote:I want to play the Playstation version, but that one is probably larger so I'll need to consider how to get it, and will need to tackle ePSXe and all that.

Ivo.

Good luck with that one... epsxe gives me headaches!
I do know that Lunar works great with the pSX emulator ( http://psxemulator.gazaxian.com/ )

Thats what I am using in my arcade cabinet to play the game.
I did rip the game from my original disk, I have no idea as to where you would get a copy though.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Pocket & Advance SP) Genesis (SCD, 32X, Nomad), SNES,
Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3 and WiiU.
Hatta
Next-Gen

by Hatta Tue May 20, 2008 10:52 am

a JRPG o n an arcade cabinet? I hope you have a comfortable stool! :D
Ivo
Next-Gen

by Ivo Tue May 20, 2008 1:26 pm

Hatta wrote:a JRPG o n an arcade cabinet? I hope you have a comfortable stool! :D

Nice post! :)

I tried the Playstation version on PSX, and really, this is THE version to be playing. I will finish on the GBA version just because it is mobile (don't have a PSP), but I will want to complete it on the PC as well. Then I'll read about the original's story differences to the two remakes (GBA is allegedly the most different) and will chime in here again on my thoughts.

Ivo.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

by Mozgus Tue May 20, 2008 2:00 pm

GBA version is clearly dumbed down, slower, feels less polished overall. I mean, they spell Menu....Manu. Wow...how did they miss that? Also random encounters = fail. The dialog feels choppy.
peglegs
16-bit

by peglegs Tue May 20, 2008 2:32 pm

Mozgus wrote:GBA version is clearly dumbed down, slower, feels less polished overall. I mean, they spell Menu....Manu. Wow...how did they miss that? Also random encounters = fail. The dialog feels choppy.

i think it is an abreviation for manual but could be wrong. but it makes sense because the other options in the pre battle menu are computer controlled, your preset commands and run.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Tue May 20, 2008 3:55 pm

Hatta wrote:a JRPG o n an arcade cabinet? I hope you have a comfortable stool! :D

Oh I do...

This way it frees the TV up for my wife and I have more time to play.
BLOG | BST
Mozgus
Next-Gen

by Mozgus Tue May 20, 2008 4:05 pm

peglegs wrote:
Mozgus wrote:GBA version is clearly dumbed down, slower, feels less polished overall. I mean, they spell Menu....Manu. Wow...how did they miss that? Also random encounters = fail. The dialog feels choppy.

i think it is an abreviation for manual but could be wrong. but it makes sense because the other options in the pre battle menu are computer controlled, your preset commands and run.
Oh ok that makes sense.
Return to Together Retro