Together Retro: Lunar Silver Star

Join in on our classic gaming club!
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

glynnahab wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I usually prefer when RPGs don't have voice acting.

I like voice acting in the intro movie but thats it... mainly because I have to isolate myself from the rest of the world so that I dont miss anything.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
saurianoverlord

Post by saurianoverlord »

ncd wrote:
saurianoverlord wrote:Also, I've never played much the way through EB (I screwed up in the beginning and got stuck at the first dungeon boss, and never had the ambition to restart it...lol); does Nall actually show up in it, or are you referring to Ruby? The pet you have from the beginning is Ruby (at least I'm pretty sure that was the name, and I think it was implied that it was female), who I found to be a little annoying. But again, this is all just from memory, which has been known to be incorrect on many occasions.

Well, yes and yes. Who you have is Ruby, but Nall plays an important role in the game. In fact, most of the same locations are there in Eternal Blue, just sometimes with some unexpected changes. You'll have to play both games through to realize the the connections between them. Now, there is also Lunar Dragon Song (for DS), but I don't know so much where that fit's in the storyline except that it takes place way before the Silver Star Story.

Yeah, I definitely will have to go back to EB at some point. I feel like such a dork not having played through it after all this time, and still being able to say Silver Star is one of my all-time favorite games. I do have Dragon Song as well, but didn't get far into that one either (my NDS time became monopolized by FFIII, then started to taper off).

Mozgus wrote:Ok guys, honestly, does this game get good, or will the whole thing be this happy, cheerful, cutesy anime crap? Because I just can't take it.

There were a few annoyingly cute moments, especially around the beginning. It might get easier for you as the game goes on and the plot picks up, but I admit it does feel a little like a children's anime for the most part. To me, though, it certainly wasn't anything unbearable. I can't stand watching overly childish anime, but I love the game. Don't know if that helps you or not, but that's my two cents. I think the Sega CD version had quite a bit less voice acting and was consequently less "cute," so that could be the difference: I was already hopelessly addicted to the game by the time I got the PS1 version. If you have the option, you might try playing that one instead if it's really bothering you.
peglegs
16-bit

Post by peglegs »

this is for all of you playing this on the sega cd since i dont think it works on the playstaion version
i just remembered about this leveling up trick for the sega cd. since the xp your party earns is divided between all your party members think about how much more xp you could get if say a few party members had some errends to run. i first noticed this after not resurecting someone since i just really didnt like them i noticed i was getting a shit load more xp. after a while i relized that since you can choose individual party members to run during battle and keeping everyone else in play i started playing with it. but i think the most amazing part is making each member run from battle but leaving one person to finish it off. works great once you get your first dragon master spell
so if your playing this on sega cd try it out and let me know what you think
saurianoverlord

Post by saurianoverlord »

peglegs wrote:this is for all of you playing this on the sega cd since i dont think it works on the playstaion version
i just remembered about this leveling up trick for the sega cd. since the xp your party earns is divided between all your party members think about how much more xp you could get if say a few party members had some errends to run. i first noticed this after not resurecting someone since i just really didnt like them i noticed i was getting a shit load more xp. after a while i relized that since you can choose individual party members to run during battle and keeping everyone else in play i started playing with it. but i think the most amazing part is making each member run from battle but leaving one person to finish it off. works great once you get your first dragon master spell
so if your playing this on sega cd try it out and let me know what you think

Yeah, I remember doing that too. I'm pretty sure it works in the PS1 version also. Pretty handy in some cases, although personally, I generally like to keep all my characters around the same level in most games.
peace4myheart
128-bit

Post by peace4myheart »

Man, after putting in two days of playing, I think I am gonna give up. I fine it a chore to play and the graphics really do hurt my eyes. :P I guess I am so used to the refinements of today's RPG's that's all.
xraydash
32-bit

Post by xraydash »

Five hours in and just finished the sewers of Meribia. I'm finding it challenging. As I think someone else mentioned, you really have to manage your resources well. You can't grind too much because even run-of-the-mill monsters take huge chunks of your HP and then you have to deplete your MP/herbs to continually heal up. I had to try both of the bosses I've faced (blob and water dragon) several times before I struck upon the right balance of attack and survival.

I kind of like the anime cut scenes. My daughter (turning 4 next week) has been watching me play and she absolutely loves them. At first I thought they were a bit jarring and out of place, but now I'm thinking they do a nice job of drawing you into the story and making you care a little more about the characters. I had to wipe a tear from my eye after Luna's song on the ship. :wink:

Man, this game must be really long. I took a peek at a walkthrough's table of contents and it looks like I've barely started.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

xraydash wrote:Five hours in and just finished the sewers of Meribia. I'm finding it challenging. As I think someone else mentioned, you really have to manage your resources well. You can't grind too much because even run-of-the-mill monsters take huge chunks of your HP and then you have to deplete your MP/herbs to continually heal up. I had to try both of the bosses I've faced (blob and water dragon) several times before I struck upon the right balance of attack and survival.

If I remember correctly you cant really grind because the monster's (bosses at least) strenght is multiplied by your stats - that means higher level harder monster - this keeps it closer to even.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
xraydash
32-bit

Post by xraydash »

SpaceBooger wrote:
xraydash wrote:Five hours in and just finished the sewers of Meribia. I'm finding it challenging. As I think someone else mentioned, you really have to manage your resources well. You can't grind too much because even run-of-the-mill monsters take huge chunks of your HP and then you have to deplete your MP/herbs to continually heal up. I had to try both of the bosses I've faced (blob and water dragon) several times before I struck upon the right balance of attack and survival.

If I remember correctly you cant really grind because the monster's (bosses at least) strenght is multiplied by your stats - that means higher level harder monster - this keeps it closer to even.

Whoah! Nice touch, there. So there's definitely some strategy involved in those fights.

Something I forgot to mention- It's funny! Nall especially says a lot of things that crack me up. I looked for a transcript but couldn't find one. (There is one for the FMV but those aren't the funny parts.) A couple of lines that I remember: The Star Wars reference from the guy outside the tavern in Saith- "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy." And someone in Meribia's tavern says something along the lines of, "It's the only place you can stare at a hot chick's rack without having to worry about it."
ott0bot
Next-Gen

Post by ott0bot »

xraydash wrote:
SpaceBooger wrote:

Whoah! Nice touch, there. So there's definitely some strategy involved in those fights.

Something I forgot to mention- It's funny! Nall especially says a lot of things that crack me up. I looked for a transcript but couldn't find one. (There is one for the FMV but those aren't the funny parts.) A couple of lines that I remember: The Star Wars reference from the guy outside the tavern in Saith- "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy." And someone in Meribia's tavern says something along the lines of, "It's the only place you can stare at a hot chick's rack without having to worry about it."

Workind Designs always throws in those Star Wars references and give them a a bit of humor. They're good like that.
marurun

Progress report!

Post by marurun »

Alright everyone, progress report! How far into the game are you at this point? Can you tell us how you feel about the game so far without too many spoilers?

I just got out of the very first town in the SegaCD version, but I'm thinking about jumping to the GBA version for convenience.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.