Together Retro: Lunar Silver Star

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Wibblefish

Post by Wibblefish »

This is an awesome choice! I played both Lunar Silver Star Story Complete and Eternal Blue a few years back on the PSX, and this will give me the perfect excuse to go back and play the Sega CD version, which I hear is quite different.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

I decided to go with the modded ps1 route, and while digging I found a 3rd PS1 memory card I didn't know I had, with some saves that I know are at least 6 years old, because it has my Star Ocean 2 progress on it from when that game saved me from total boredom after moving back in high school. Pretty cool when that happens.
4ppleseed
64-bit

Post by 4ppleseed »

I've never even heard of it ... does that make me a bad retro gamer? :oops:

I hate RPGs thats probably why I don't know it but you know, within the spirit of things I'll be playing this one. For you guys :wink:
ncd

Post by ncd »

saurianoverlord wrote:Also, I've never played much the way through EB (I screwed up in the beginning and got stuck at the first dungeon boss, and never had the ambition to restart it...lol); does Nall actually show up in it, or are you referring to Ruby? The pet you have from the beginning is Ruby (at least I'm pretty sure that was the name, and I think it was implied that it was female), who I found to be a little annoying. But again, this is all just from memory, which has been known to be incorrect on many occasions.

Well, yes and yes. Who you have is Ruby, but Nall plays an important role in the game. In fact, most of the same locations are there in Eternal Blue, just sometimes with some unexpected changes. You'll have to play both games through to realize the the connections between them. Now, there is also Lunar Dragon Song (for DS), but I don't know so much where that fit's in the storyline except that it takes place way before the Silver Star Story.
glynnahab
128-bit

Post by glynnahab »

Wow. Is that intro song cheesy or what?

Still, I have fond memories of this game and I look forward to getting back into it. I've only sunk about an hour into it so far.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

glynnahab wrote:Wow. Is that intro song cheesy or what?

You mean on the PSX version, where they dubbed it? More like painfully gay.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IcN4Mh_kmuU

I uploaded all the Lunar documentary videos a while back.
ncd

Post by ncd »

Oh, if you haven't heard it then try listening to the Sega CD intro song... or if you are brave try the remix of that song. :lol:
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

Ok guys, honestly, does this game get good, or will the whole thing be this happy, cheerful, cutesy anime crap? Because I just can't take it. RemyC clearly has never played Lunar, judging from this thread. Arcadia is leagues beyond the "children's anime show" that is Lunar, it seems.
Hiryu76
8-bit

Post by Hiryu76 »

glynnahab wrote:Wow. Is that intro song cheesy or what?

Still, I have fond memories of this game and I look forward to getting back into it. I've only sunk about an hour into it so far.

I remember watching the intro and thinking how awesome it was at the time. (Sega CD) So easy to please with early CD-ROM technology. :)
glynnahab
128-bit

Post by glynnahab »

Maybe it's just me, but I usually prefer when RPGs don't have voice acting.