Together Retro: Lunar Silver Star

Join in on our classic gaming club!
ncd

Post by ncd »

racketboy wrote:Check the link again....

Sweet. Thanks a lot! I always wanted to complete the Sega CD version (it's easy to get stuck/lost) and this guide will really help.
saurianoverlord

Post by saurianoverlord »

SpaceBooger wrote:The Sega CD version was the first RPG that I have ever beat.

This is a great choice, my favorite RPG ever, because of the wonderful nostalgic factor.

Same here, on both counts. Lunar was one of the first Sega CD games I ever owned. It was a beautiful RPG in many respects. One of the best things about the actual gameplay is the near-absence of required grinding, which, to my recollection, only comes up a few times. It's probably why it's the first one I ever beat, the fact that there's not so much grinding time between plot elements. That, or I'm remembering wrong, and the grinding is just less boring than other games. ;-)

If I have time, I'll definitely join in on this one. I haven't had much of a chance to get in on the previous titles, but this is definitely a game I could pick up again. There are lots of cool surprises and unique items to find that would make it worth going back to (I never did get quite all of the bromides), especially in the PSX version. Maybe it will inspire me to go back to Eternal Blue as well, since I never did finish that one.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

peglegs wrote:also playing gba version and noticed something else that made me dislike the port a lot
nall your little "cat" buddy resurects a dead party member after every turn so basicly all you have to do is keep one person alive and not have to waste angel tears on any one else.

I'm not sure it works exactly as you say - it seemed to me he only revives once per battle.

Ivo.
pompeyparsons
32-bit

Post by pompeyparsons »

Randy_Marsh wrote:i wonder if the racketboy together retro subforum temporarily drives up ebay prices of featured games. i bet it does.

I agree with you on this. I tried to get one before everyone else could spring. Bought the Lunar Legends for GBA yesterday for 10.40 that includes shipping. So not bad, now I've just got to wait for it arrive to add my two cents.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

pompeyparsons wrote:
Randy_Marsh wrote:i wonder if the racketboy together retro subforum temporarily drives up ebay prices of featured games. i bet it does.

I agree with you on this. I tried to get one before everyone else could spring. Bought the Lunar Legends for GBA yesterday for 10.40 that includes shipping. So not bad, now I've just got to wait for it arrive to add my two cents.

I think you're giving me too much credit :)
But I have noticed that many games that I feature on my "cheapest games" pieces no longer stay that cheap for long -- I'm going to have to re-do those soon....
saurianoverlord

racketboy wrote:
pompeyparsons wrote:

I think you're giving me too much credit :)
But I have noticed that many games that I feature on my "cheapest games" pieces no longer stay that cheap for long -- I'm going to have to re-do those soon....

Yeah, not sure about the Together Retro games, but I've seen other games and even equipment sometimes increase in price shortly after you've featured them, Racket. I specifically recall a couple of years ago when I was looking for a Saturn that after some of your features, it was suddenly cheaper for me to get one at a local B&M used game store (which is usually overpriced) than to eBay one (which was cheaper in the past). Then a little later, I found one at a thrift store for $5 and felt like a jackass (but not too much; I think $30 was still well worth it, and I bought the $5 one anyway).

Anyway, to get back on topic, I doubt we'd notice a difference with the Lunar games one way or the other. For as long as I can remember, the Sega CD versions have been anywhere from $40-90 depending on condition and completeness (is that a word?). I bought each of the PSX versions new when released, so I paid the normal $40-50 new release prices; since they were limited releases, it's not surprising that they increased in value to the current $70+.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

The Sega CD version is much cheaper than it used to be. I think that now that the PS1 version is the standard in most people's eyes, that has helped a lot.
peglegs
16-bit

Post by peglegs »

Ivo wrote:
peglegs wrote:also playing gba version and noticed something else that made me dislike the port a lot
nall your little "cat" buddy resurects a dead party member after every turn so basicly all you have to do is keep one person alive and not have to waste angel tears on any one else.

I'm not sure it works exactly as you say - it seemed to me he only revives once per battle.

Ivo.

im running on visual boy so that my be something but last night fighting the boss in the cave to vane for about 15 minutes this is what was happening
alex attack nash attack boss attack someone dies nall resurects repeat.
every so often though nall would wait for the next turn to resurect
but still this may not be what is supposed to happen since i am emulating.

oh and nall is also by far my favorite npc of all time but is much cooler in EB
saurianoverlord

racketboy wrote:I think that now that the PS1 version is the standard in most people's eyes[...]

As well it should be! While I tend to be a bit of a purist for original versions, the PS1 versions of the Lunar games are among the best ports ever, being that they maintains the mechanics, story, and spirit of the originals while improving the sound and graphics and actually adding to the gameplay. Other ports and remakes, especially of arcade games where mechanics and level design are everything, tend to stray too far from the original to be anything more than a great game in its own rite (at best).
saurianoverlord

peglegs wrote:
Ivo wrote:

Ivo.

im running on visual boy so that my be something but last night fighting the boss in the cave to vane for about 15 minutes this is what was happening
alex attack nash attack boss attack someone dies nall resurects repeat.
every so often though nall would wait for the next turn to resurect
but still this may not be what is supposed to happen since i am emulating.

oh and nall is also by far my favorite npc of all time but is much cooler in EB

I'm not entirely sure, but I seem to remember Nall basically resurrecting your allies at random (on the SCD and PS1 versions). I'm quite sure he did it more than once per battle, though I don't think it was every turn. I've never played the GBA version, so that could be the difference in this case. I'll probably fire up the PS1 version when I get home tonight so I don't go through this entire discussion from memory alone.

Also, I've never played much the way through EB (I screwed up in the beginning and got stuck at the first dungeon boss, and never had the ambition to restart it...lol); does Nall actually show up in it, or are you referring to Ruby? The pet you have from the beginning is Ruby (at least I'm pretty sure that was the name, and I think it was implied that it was female), who I found to be a little annoying. But again, this is all just from memory, which has been known to be incorrect on many occasions.