Post Your Ristar Progress Here

Join in on our classic gaming club!
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

I am on level Five using savestates between play time. Beat the first three in one sitting, thought it was unique enough to keep going. As much as I loved the concept, the stage where you are bouncing on drums pissed me off.
xraydash
32-bit

Post by xraydash »

I've been playing the Sonic Mega Collection version on Gamecube. I like how you can use the "iloveu" password to select your starting level. Between that and liberal use of continues on worlds three and four, I just finished the music one. I've never played before and I'm enjoying it. Definitely some challenging parts, like the drum section fastbilly1 mentioned.

My nine year old twin boys have been playing too, which I think is really cool. Fun for the whole fam! :)
Cerulean
64-bit

Post by Cerulean »

holy crap im getting my ass whooped in this game. it seems everything is killing me even palm trees. Its fun tho.
The Devil Made Flesh

Post by The Devil Made Flesh »

Played to Planet Automaton(level 6) Had a hard time beating Freon's boss but once I beat him I felt stupid for wasting so many lives on him. The first level of Automaton frustrated the hell out of me and I used up all of my continues. I'm gonna use the Iloveu code to return to that level once my blood pressure goes down.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

I finished this on the 20th of April (normal difficulty), but didn't have time to post about it yet. The treasure in 6-2 is REALLY HARD to get (I got it, but I did use save states to reduce the frustration of having to start over - I think I'd be able to get it without save states, but it would be SO annoying to keep trying, and my hands would start hurting on the N-gage QD as well).

I played a bit on Hard difficulty. I cleared world 1, and now that I knew how to spin, I could find and get the treasures in 1-1 and 1-2. Is it my impression or, on top of having less life, you have much less control when you propel out of spinners as a "rocket" in hard mode?

Ivo.
arion
Next-Gen

Post by arion »

last time i played it i got to level three and ristar really pumps up the difficulty there compared to how easy the first two were
xraydash
32-bit

Post by xraydash »

Arrrrgh! I'm about to throw my controller through the window. 6-1 is really frustrating. I give up for today. No fun! :x
SaturnBR

Post by SaturnBR »

Hey guys, I'm new on the forums. Back in the day I dismissed Ristar solely based on the first world. For the ones thinking of quitting due to the first level, please don't. It gets better!

I still dislike the first world, usually the first level sets the tone for the rest of the game, but not in this case. I found myself dying in really frustrating and silly mistakes and often thinking if I took the right path. As an introduction level, it should be more linear and a bit easier. The second world, on the other hand, was a blast. Great level design, easy but quite smart challenges (like that water flow device) and all in all, a great experience. The third world is slightly harder, but presents nice challenges and the only frustrating element I found were those &%@#! vultures.

I'm playing it through emulation on a modded Xbox. I'm using savestates just to start when I once stopped and to replay the levels later.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Welcome!

To me it seemed like the first level was almost like a tutorial without text that let you get familiar with the mechanics before playing the "real" levels.
SaturnBR

Post by SaturnBR »

I believe you're right, a trial by fire that hones the skills before going into the real battle. I played it once again from the beginning, because on the first time I even used one Continue to get to level three, and voilá, straight into level three without losing a single life. As I got better at it I'm liking this game more and more. No wonder. ;)