Ristar: Together Retro Discussion

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Ack

Post by Ack »

I've been playing this for an hour or two now, emulating it on Gens. I'm not sure if it's the emulator or the rom, but it's been caught up and hung a few times. Also, any time I try any options for the emulator, the program goes a bit nuts.

As for the game itself, first of all, it's absolutely amazing graphically. This game is extremely pretty and well-colored. Enemies are interesting looking and the bosses are actually quite impressive. The worlds are well designed and vibrant, with a nice unique flavor and style. The music is wonderful, and the sound effects are spot on.

Unfortunately, controls are where this game begins to have problems for me. It's not really playable on a keyboard, as the angle attacks are a bit spotty for me. I really can't make an accurate judgment here since I realize this is meant to be done with a Genesis controller, so I'm gonna need the opinions of other folks about it.

I like it overall, but I don't think I'm gonna be able to play this for long due to this issue.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

You don't have a gamepad at all?
PhilExile
32-bit

Post by PhilExile »

I've been playing on my PSP via the DGen emulator. Plays great with no problems.

This isn't my first time playing the game, but I'm more impressed this time around with the graphics and overall play mechanics. I think the last time I tried this was in college nearly 10 years ago. Anyway, I really liked the part in the first level when he was cast into darkness and the layers of animation throughout. The whole game really looks well thought-out and the play mechanics are very weird, but fun and easy to get used to.

Also, check out "sound" under the options menu. I was expecting the standard mono or stereo choices, however, I was greeted to an orchestral stage where you are able to play the various game music. It really struck me as a unique and cool feature, especially being a graphic designer. The attention to detail really impressed me. : )

Thats all for now.
Ack

Post by Ack »

racketboy wrote:You don't have a gamepad at all?

Nope, I've never owned a gamepad, and I'm playing this at work.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Ack wrote:
racketboy wrote:You don't have a gamepad at all?

Nope, I've never owned a gamepad, and I'm playing this at work.

lol -- I could never get away with that :)
Ack

Post by Ack »

I've got a tech support job for a university. We sit in a room and wait for problems to occur. Usually around mid to late semester, we've fixed everything, so some days we'll get one or two calls at most.

Got nothing better to do.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

Ack wrote:
Unfortunately, controls are where this game begins to have problems for me. It's not really playable on a keyboard, as the angle attacks are a bit spotty for me. I really can't make an accurate judgment here since I realize this is meant to be done with a Genesis controller, so I'm gonna need the opinions of other folks about it.

I don't usually have problems making diagonals in keyboards, in emulators or not. What exactly is the trouble, they keyboard doesn't recognize 3 simultaneous presses (some keyboards have that problem, but usually 3 keys are ok... I used to have problems playing 2 player games where each person was doing loads of key presses)?

Ivo.
4ppleseed
64-bit

Post by 4ppleseed »

Only ever played the 1st level for a few minutes before. Now have it installed via Picodrive/PSP. So gonna bash thru some levels tonight. Can't wait! Looks fun :)
ott0bot
Next-Gen

Re: Ristar

Post by ott0bot »

Ivo wrote:Reading from the TR posting description, it says that Ristar can throw the enemies? I can only grab and smash into them? Also those handles you go around on, from some of their placements I have a feeling I should be able to gain more height than I just grabbing and launching from it once - can you do that, and if so, how?

You gotta keep tapping forward (or back, depending which direction you're spining) until little blue sparkles form around him. Then let go of the grab button and he will fly like a rocket for a brief time. This is pertty much essential for you to find most of the hidden areas.
andymol21
64-bit

Post by andymol21 »

Just had a quick go on it this evening, didn't even get past the first level. I don't know what I want to do first, complete the game or find all the little secrets, I keep going back on myself and trying to find them all then dieing from being stupid. I need to sit down and have a proper go at it. Unfortunatly (or fortunatly) I have a lot of other games to play at the moment, Perfect Dark, Metroid Prime and Pikmin to name a few, so I might not give this game the time it deserves.
--=We Do What We Must Because We Can=--

FS/FT Thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=24755&p=309811#p309811