Kid Icarus: Together Retro Discussion

Join in on our classic gaming club!
mrgoodbytes
16-bit

Post by mrgoodbytes »

4ppleseed wrote:It's actually a bit more responsive on my PSP JNES Emu than on the PC. Maybe it's just having proper buttons and a d-pad? I'm gonna finish the game (using save states) but it's not turning out to be the most enjoyable gaming experience haha.

maybe, and maybe its an improvement over the NES. I dunno if my dogbone controller is just getting old but the kid keeps wanting to look up.. I found myself screaming at the TV like I was suffering from roids rage that I didnt hit the ^^^^ing up button. I havent yelled at the TV like that since QBert.
7800, Jaguar, NES2, SNES, GC, Wii, GB, GBC, GBA, DS, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, 3DO, NGPC
Yaxley

Post by Yaxley »

I downloaded Kid Icarus on the VC a couple of months ago because it's also the name of my sister's boyfriend's band and I wanted to see what the game was like. I thought it was frustrating, and I gave up. When I saw the Together Retro thing, I decided to sign up and give it another go. And I still find it frustrating. But maybe that's because I just died withing sight of the end of level two.

Still, it's good to hear from other people that the game is front loaded in terms of difficulty.
videogamerretro

Post by videogamerretro »

I'm a bit late to this thread and even later in actually playing this game, but I find the "Together Retro" an interesting idea so I thought I would participate.

To start things off, my friend actually had Kid Icarus when it first came out but it did not get a lot of play by us. Two reasons, watching some one else play a game has limited 'fun' potential (at least for two elementary school kids) and the game was tough. Years passed and I started reading about how Kid Icarus was a great game and considered a 'classic' of the genre/system, so I got a hankering to play it. I never actually did however, until this "Together Retro" idea was formed, and here I am.

Loaded the game into Mednafenx-NES V9 on my XBOX and started playing... and didn't make it all that far. Level one section two to be precise. I've put my fair share of hours playing console games, though I do not claim to be some kind of 'gaming god', but this is one tough game. I tried coming up with reasons for my trouble with the game, ranging from I have not had enough coffee (I play in the morning before work) to the damn controller sucks (I'll get back to this point), but having read through this thread it seems this is normal for people and the difficulty actually goes down after a few levels. I'll believe that when I actually get to it.

Back to my point about the controller however. The "d-pad" of the Xbox controller seems a little loose for me. One problem was the fact I found myself "ducking" Pit through platforms by mistake. I wanted to try the game out on a better "d-pad" to see if I really was that bad or the controller played a part in it. My best solution was the use of nesDS on the DS.

Everything seemed to load fine in nesDS but there were two strange errors in the game. Pit does not seem to jump high enough and he and the snake enemies are one line down into the floor graphic. These two errors make it impossible to actually jump to the next platform in the first level (yes, the very first platform at the very bottom of the level), so nesDS was a no-start for me. Did anyone else encounter this error?

Not giving up however, I gave PocketNES a whirl. Kid Icarus loaded fine and there seemed to be no errors. I only had a few minutes to actually play at the time, so the jury is still out about the DS "d-pad" compared to the Xbox "d-pad". I plan on putting in some play time tomorrow morning and hopefully get past level one and section two. I've found the soundtrack of level one quite enjoyable however and even found myself humming it to myself later on in the day. Rather impressive, given soundtracks back in the day.

Overall I'm glad I finally picked this game up, even though it is quite tough. I'm hoping to make it further then 1.2, but even the feeling of accomplishment after passing 1.1 was something unfelt in a while for a game (at least for the first level of a game).

Great idea with the "Together Retro" and hopefully I have a bit more time before the next game (only playing in the morning limits "game time" but at least I get some).
marurun

Post by marurun »

Welcome to Together Retro and to Racketboy's forum. I'm glad someone else is making a go at this. I've been crushed by school work and haven't had much time to go back to it, but I definitely have more respect for Kid Icarus now than I did before.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
andymol21
64-bit

Post by andymol21 »

I've now played Kid Icarus for about 2 or 3 hours and, without save states, still havn't got past the second level. Damn those Reapers and all his little friends! The point is that although I am completly useless at the game, i still come back to it because although I die a lot, I neverfeel it's the games fault, its always mine for being stupid. On another note, went out today to try and buy a Nes console from some of the second hand shops around where I am and not a single one had any. It was a long shot but I don't really want to go through all the trouble of French eBay.
--=We Do What We Must Because We Can=--

FS/FT Thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=24755&p=309811#p309811
geozeldadude
32-bit

Post by geozeldadude »

just to chime in: i played through this not too long ago which is why i'm passing on it now. but i def. agree that the beginning is way way harder than the rest of the game, b/c you get power ups that let you pretty much tear through enemies. also, did anyone notice how one of the kid icarus powerups is pretty much exactly like the metroid wave beam?
xraydash
32-bit

Post by xraydash »

We can go back to these, right? :lol: I finally finished! Started 22 years ago when I bought it new and made it through to the end today. I started on nestopia for TR but discovered my original NES cart while helping my sister move this summer. I thought she had lost it and was thrilled to get it back after all these years.

It's a fantastic game. As many have mentioned, it starts out really hard. As a kid I couldn't get past the first fortress. I never even saw the first boss because of those damn eggplant wizards! It definitely gets easier as your life bar and strength increase. There is so much I enjoyed though- the music, the controls, the variety of levels (horizontal/vertical platforming, fortress mazes, shmup at the end), and the overall challenge to name a few.

Criticisms- The bosses are about the easiest part of the game. No challenge there. I like how the levels make a verticle-horizontal-vertical sandwich but that middle section was so significantly easier that perhaps it would have been better to start the game there. And I would love to have had a diagonal shot, especially for the holy chambers.

I like how you can play through again with all your stats and weapons. I think I'll give it another go and try to get a better ending. I didn't realize until reading about it afterward that there are different endings. I finished with the "medium" one- level five and all weapons.
geozeldadude
32-bit

Post by geozeldadude »

i'm still reading this thread ;) congrats on beating the game!