Genre of the Month (MAR 2024 TR) - Brutal Beat 'em Ups

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Ack

Re: Genre of the Month (MAR 2024 TR) - Brutal Beat 'em Ups

Post by Ack »

Raging Justice wrote:Night Slashers is actually coming back:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2024/ ... -on-switch

That's cool, but the original is also available on the Switch eShop. It has some issues (buttons being reversed from arcade layout, I believe), but it still holds up otherwise. I picked it up a few years ago and had a blast going through it.
ZRofel
24-bit

Post by ZRofel »

Ziggy587 wrote:The Simpsons arcade beat 'em up kind of baffles me. Developed by Konami, it's another four player licensed beat 'em up made during the heyday of a prolific game developer. But while Turtles in Time had a quality port on the SNES, The Simpsons had rather crappy ports to the Commodore 64 and MS-DOS. I always wondered why this game wasn't ported to the SNES. Was it a license issue? That doesn't seem right since there were plenty of other Simpson games on consoles. Does it not actually play as good as it looks? Because it looks fantastic. It was available for a short while (less than two years) digitally on Xbox 360 and PS3. And Arcade 1up has produced a four player machine, although it is expensive. I've always wondered why this one fell into licensing hell.

I always figured it had something to do with Konami making the arcade game but Acclaim publishing the console games. Like, Fox sold the arcade rights to Konami and the console rights to Acclaim, so unless Konami wanted to license the arcade game to Acclaim and share in the profits, there wasn't anything they could do.

Like a bunch of folks have said, I think its the visceral feeling you get from playing them that makes beat-'em-ups so satisfying. The elaborate sprite work, the pounding music, and the impact of the violence make them gaming "experiences" more so than a lot of other genres. I think that's another reason why they flourished in arcades more so than home consoles. But it's been really great to see them have something of a renaissance on consoles, really starting with Castle Crashers and the indie scene.

My favorite of the unsung beat-'em-ups is definitely Night Slashers, a game a few other folks have already mentioned. Gory horror combined with the visceral nature of the beat-'em-up is a really smart match. It obviously worked really well with Splatterhouse, another classic brawler. The two Splatterhouse games on the Genesis tend to get a little less attention than the original arcade/TurboGrafx game, but I think they're both actually better than the original, at least from a gameplay perspective.

When we were growing up, my brother and I really enjoyed the SNES port of Knights of the Round. It's a brawler following the story of King Arthur, although it plays pretty fast and loose with the plot. To be fair, the original Arthurian romances play pretty fast and loose with the plot too. It's funny that Final Fight on the SNES was such a stinker, because all of the other Capcom SNES arcade ports (Captain Commando, Knights of the Round, King of Dragons, Magic Sword, etc.) are all fantastically faithful and really great ways to experience those games outside of the arcade setting.

Another beat-'em-up that I think has been neglected a bit due to it never receiving a home port is the arcade game Metamorphic Force. It very much feels like a sequel to Konami's X-Men arcade game, to the point that I wonder if it was originally planned to be one, but wound up getting sprite-swapped at some point in development because of a rights issue. Or, if somewhere in the storage room of the studio that produced that X-Men animated pilot is the pilot for a Metamorphic Force cartoon that never saw the light of day. It's a game where you play one of four dudes who can transform into some kind of animal-man if you find the right power-up. If you liked the gameplay of X-Men, you'll definitely like Metamorphic Force.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

I really need to get on checking out Night Slashers! It's received a lot of praise around these parts and I have a feeling I'd enjoy it as well.

Knights of the Round is a great pick for sure. I never had a chance to play it back in the day, but it was a game I saw ads for and was curious about. I finally managed to pick-up a cart a few years ago, and my buddy and I had a few great couch co-op sessions with it.

Final Fight on the SNES may have been my first experience with a game in the genre. One of the first times I ever saw a Super Nintendo was when my cousins brought their console and a copy of Final Fight to my uncle's house, while he was hosting a family party. My cousins commandeered his living room TV and I watched them play Final Fight while the adults were partying away. I was amazed by the game back then. Lol.

Metamorphic Force also seems like a fun one. I'd love to try that out. A few others I'd like to try is SpikeOut, which I think were the last beat 'em ups Sega ever released. I've heard mixed things about the game, but I'd like to try it for myself. There were also beat 'em ups on the Atomiswave arcade platform that look fun, Demolish Fist and Knights of Valour. Those two titles are also available as Atomiswave ports on the Dreamcast.

I haven't had much luck getting a MAME emulator properly setup on my Mac, so I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of great games!
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

The fact that we are getting new TMNT games, a new Double Dragon that came out recently, and two new Streets of Rage games (SoR 4 and the new one Sega is working on) is wild.

The genre is most definitely NOT dead.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I honestly think without digital distribution and the revitalization of the indie scene we would have seen the death of the brawler / belt-scroller. Historically, while there has been some variation in game pricing, for the most part games stick to a slim range of price points. But now that digital distribution has encouraged a finer range of price metrics, even some physical releases are seeing greater price granularity. That ability to do more price adjustment is helping games like brawlers which often have shorter, more intense play experiences. We don't need a 50 hour brawler to justify a $70 price tag. We need tight, appropriate-length brawlers with prices that reflect that. And that's what we have, which is awesome.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I need to catch up on the posts as well as post some more of my own thoughts, but I just wanted to jump in a point out that Streets of Rage 4 is currently $12.49 (50% off) on GoG right now. Is it worth picking up at that price?
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Ziggy587 wrote:I need to catch up on the posts as well as post some more of my own thoughts, but I just wanted to jump in a point out that Streets of Rage 4 is currently $12.49 (50% off) on GoG right now. Is it worth picking up at that price?

It's a great game, but a little more complex than SoR 2. I'm not fond of the combo based, scoring system and the enemy AI and boss fights could be a bit annoying on earlier builds of the game, but I'm going to assume that GoG has the most updated version that received some balance patches. On the initial release, the enemy AI was a bit more aggressive and savvy than they were in SoR 2, felt a bit closer to those quarter munchers we remember from the arcades back in the 80s and 90s.

Gripes aside, it's a steal at that price. One of the best things about the game is that you can unlock versions of characters from the previous games to play as. This means you even get to use the police car from the first game if you play as a SoR 1 character. Also, there's even a few hidden areas that take you back to places in the previous games as well.

SoR 4 and Shredder's Revenge are being hailed as the two games pushing the renaissance of the genre, though I'd argue it was going on even before they were released.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Wulverblade is a very interesting game. Imagine a historically inspired arcade style beat 'em up. It's full of historical anecdotes as you play, actually educating you in the process. My only criticism is that it can get a bit hard at times. From the website:

"Its 120AD and the Roman army have seized control of the south of Britannia. Their goal, to march north and conquer the rest of the island with brutal and bloody efficiency. The 5000 strong 9th Legion are preparing for war, but little do they know what lies in wait for them. Caradoc, a guardian of the northern tribes has rallied the war bands and is ready to bring the war to the Romans. Caradoc bares a gift that even he is not aware of. And soon, the Ninth Legion will discover its true power."

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Streets of Rage 4 is fucking awesome! I picked it up on GoG, and it's definitely worth the sale price. I think it might be worth full price. It plays really smooth and it has the satisfying and addicting THWAMP when you hit people.

One thing that I thought was really cool... I went into the controller options and it has a setting to change the on screen button prompts to match Xbox, Playstation or Nintendo controllers. That is so very useful, I wish all games had this! It's so annoying playing games on PC that have button prompts for Xbox (the norm) when I'm using a different controller.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Ziggy587 wrote:Streets of Rage 4 is fucking awesome! I picked it up on GoG, and it's definitely worth the sale price. I think it might be worth full price. It plays really smooth and it has the satisfying and addicting THWAMP when you hit people.

+1

Streets of Rage 4 is the best modern game I have ever played. It is absolutely fantastic!!