Together Retro April 2021 - Little Big Adventure

Join in on our classic gaming club!
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro April 2021 - Little Big Adventure

Post by alienjesus »

Cave Noire is one I've been keen to try at some point. Keep me updated how it goes!

And yes, I was saying to some people earlier that the Game Gear is a console I've been really enjoying lately. I paid for the screen mod which has made all the difference to be honest - the miserable experience of trying to play the games on the original screen put me off the console before and I had no interest really, but I've been really enjoying it since I forked out for the improved experience.

The main obstacle to enjoying Game Gear games is the Game Gear itself, for sure.

I'll be picking up another Game Gear title next, with Madou Monogatari I.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I’m also interested in reading about Cave Noire. I picked that up recently, and from what I’ve played, it seems really cool.

Also, I expect to beat King’s Field tonight or tomorrow, and then I’ll be back. I got my copy of Rolan’s Curse working with a bit of cleaning, and I think I’ll play through both games before the end of the month.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

I've been playing LInk's Awakening, but last week I modded my GBC with a new LCD. Since then I have been squeezing in some Dragon Warrior 1. I'm currently Level 9 and made it through the cave in the poisonous swamp.
I am still playing Link's Awakening when I have time to sit down and play. Dragon Warrior has been my go-to game for quick fixes and when I'm distracted - it's perfect for when watching NBA games and between my kid's soccer practices.
PXL_20210406_211343580.MP.jpg
PXL_20210406_211343580.MP.jpg (237.17 KiB) Viewed 4497 times
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Nice looking screen! Anapan sent me a GBA SP AGS-101 recently and, at least for GB and GBC games, that screen is hugely better than the AGS-001 I've used for ages, though at least part of that is that I think my front-light is dimming on my ancient 001.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

I agree, that screen and backlight looks awesome, Space!

I have access to a few different GB and GBA models, but I need to get one that's backlit eventually. Looks great and will make playing games on the device a lot easier.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I've been making use of my modded GBA to play the games this month, as well as my modded Game Gear. They both look great:

I don't think I've seen the modded GBCs in person, but that picture you posted looks fantastic SpaceBooger!

Has anyone had any experience with the NGPC screen mods that are out there? I'm tempted to invest but they're smaller than the original screen so I'm not sure.

https://handheldlegend.com/products/neo-geo-pocket-backlight

EDIT: Looks like there might best a newer, better one now?:
https://handheldlegend.com/collections/neo-geo-pocket/products/neo-geo-pocket-color-q5-ips-lcd-1?variant=34995339690118
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Mother of God....... some sexy handhelds in this thread.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

alienjesus wrote:I've been making use of my modded GBA

I have that same case and screen in my cart on ebay, just haven't pulled the trigger.
I have an SP AGS-101, so I have been hesitant to pull the trigger.... but now that I see yours I just might.

Edit: HandHeldLegend is where I got my GBC screen. Great company, even better service.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Mother of God....... some sexy handhelds in this thread.

I hear you. I had to take some deep breaths. Those handhelds are almost too much.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Those new backlit screens look so damn good! I've been wanting to mod some of my handhelds with them, the only thing stopping me is the price! The kits are like $50+ for most of them.

I've been playing Pokemon Red/Blue, do they count for this month's TR? I was actually playing them anyway, I think I started before April. I had two copies of Pokemon Red, and so I traded my second copy to prfsnl_gmr for a copy of Blue. I always wanted both! And that made me feel like playing. The battery died in my Red cart, so I lost whatever save I had on there. So I had no choice but to start fresh. I decided to try and go for it and try and catch all 150 on my Red cart. I figure I will keep one save on my Red cart, and use the Blue cart with multiple playthroughs to support getting all 150. Maybe I'll even play Yellow on my flash cart some time. So it might be years before I catch all 150, but whatever.

Right now I'm playing through both Red and Blue at the same time. I started from the beginning in both, then switching back and forth between them in chunks. And the best part is being able to trade between them. I knew about certain Pokemon that needed to be traded in order to evolve, but what I didn't know is that a traded Pokemon earns more experience points then one that hasn't been traded. So knowing this, I made up a party on both carts that has some traded from the other cart. I wish I would have known this earlier, I would have started trading before I made the parties so established. Oh well.

I'm playing on my Super Gameboy as well as my GBA SP AGS-101. These are SGB enhanced games, so they have a lot more color (and correct colors) when playing on the SGB. Like the health bars go from Green to yellow to red, and Pokemon are correctly colored, stuff like that. When I play on the GBA, I usually put it in black and white mode because I feel that looks better than wrong colors.