Join in on our classic gaming club!
User avatar
Nemoide
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2092
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:37 pm
Location: Monster Island

Re: Together Retro January 2021 - 2011 games!

by Nemoide Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:07 pm

I started playing Bastion! It was originally put out in 2011 for XBLA, but I'm playing the Vita version because I already have it and I'm in the mood to play something on my Vita.

So far it's pretty good; I've largely been unspoiled about the game (I didn't even realize it was an action RPG), although I remember hearing lots of good things about it when it was new. Looking forward to experiencing more of it!
Image
User avatar
lordb0rb4
32-bit
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 6:03 am

Re: Together Retro January 2021 - 2011 games!

by lordb0rb4 Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:27 pm

Nemoide wrote:I started playing Bastion! It was originally put out in 2011 for XBLA, but I'm playing the Vita version because I already have it and I'm in the mood to play something on my Vita.

So far it's pretty good; I've largely been unspoiled about the game (I didn't even realize it was an action RPG), although I remember hearing lots of good things about it when it was new. Looking forward to experiencing more of it!


Yeah, Bastion is a blast for sure, the OST is god-tie, played last year, enjoy it!
User avatar
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 19653
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 1:08 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Together Retro January 2021 - 2011 games!

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:53 pm

Bastion is an ARPG? I had no idea; I always assumed it was a grid-based strategy RPG. I guess the isometric view made me "assume" it played that way. I'm way more interested now.
User avatar
Ack
Moderator
 
Posts: 21570
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:26 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Together Retro January 2021 - 2011 games!

by Ack Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:27 pm

Yeah, I played through it last year. It's a solid ARPG, though a bit light on the RPG components and much more focused on the action. It handles world generation really well, so it's almost impossible to get lost, and as mentioned the soundtrack is fantastic. It also controls well and has some fun combat, which is crucial.
Image
Image
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
User avatar
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11082
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:26 pm
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina

Re: Together Retro January 2021 - 2011 games!

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:30 pm

Ack wrote:Yeah, I played through it last year. It's a solid ARPG, though a bit light on the RPG components and much more focused on the action. It handles world generation really well, so it's almost impossible to get lost, and as mentioned the soundtrack is fantastic. It also controls well and has some fun combat, which is crucial.


+1

Bastion is a pretty great ARPG. I agree with everything Ack wrote there, and I would also add that the game has a really great narrator. You should give it a shot, Bone. (Also, the Switch version is frequently on sale for $3, which is an insane value.)
User avatar
Note
64-bit
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:39 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Together Retro January 2021 - 2011 games!

by Note Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:44 pm

I'm curious in trying Rayman Origins, I totally missed it when it came out. I'm going to try to hunt down a physical copy in the next week or two. If I can't find one, I also have Skyrim which I haven't completed and could possibly delve into that.

Just watched a few trailers for Bastion, and that also looks like another really great option and a game I could totally get into. Appreciate the recommendations for that title.
User avatar
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11082
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:26 pm
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina

Re: Together Retro January 2021 - 2011 games!

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:24 pm

Note wrote:I'm curious in trying Rayman Origins, I totally missed it when it came out. I'm going to try to hunt down a physical copy in the next week or two. If I can't find one, I also have Skyrim which I haven't completed and could possibly delve into that.

Just watched a few trailers for Bastion, and that also looks like another really great option and a game I could totally get into. Appreciate the recommendations for that title.


Rayman Origins is a god-tier platformer. One of my very favorite games. I hope you play it!
User avatar
Sload Soap
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2061
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:43 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Together Retro January 2021 - 2011 games!

by Sload Soap Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:30 pm

Lurkei wrote:
Sload Soap wrote:Mass Effect 2 is a bit of cheat here, no? Came out 2010 on 360.

If you ask me, it should just be games that got their first release in any region and any platform in 2011. So if something got released in 2011 and then translated/ported in 2012, it's a 2011 game even if you play the 2012 translation/port. That's the cleanest and most consistent way for game databases to do their year cataloging, so it makes sense that it'd apply here, too. But TR seems to play things pretty loose, and that's fine! As long as people are playing or discovering games they haven't before, that's all that matters.



Yeah, so ME2 wouldn't count. I know this was a minor slip but a lot of these TR's of late feel more like backlog shifting than actually exploring a theme.
User avatar
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2649
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:27 am
Location: Northern Japan

Re: Together Retro January 2021 - 2011 games!

by PartridgeSenpai Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:54 am

I finished Portal 2 today~. It's been five years since I last played it, and it was such a nostalgic walk down memory lane. SO many memories of playing this with my best friend in high school just came flooding back. It also still holds up really well all these years later~
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
User avatar
MrPopo
Moderator
 
Posts: 23152
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:01 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Together Retro January 2021 - 2011 games!

by MrPopo Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:58 pm

Sload Soap wrote:
Lurkei wrote:
Sload Soap wrote:Mass Effect 2 is a bit of cheat here, no? Came out 2010 on 360.

If you ask me, it should just be games that got their first release in any region and any platform in 2011. So if something got released in 2011 and then translated/ported in 2012, it's a 2011 game even if you play the 2012 translation/port. That's the cleanest and most consistent way for game databases to do their year cataloging, so it makes sense that it'd apply here, too. But TR seems to play things pretty loose, and that's fine! As long as people are playing or discovering games they haven't before, that's all that matters.



Yeah, so ME2 wouldn't count. I know this was a minor slip but a lot of these TR's of late feel more like backlog shifting than actually exploring a theme.

A thing we've always struggled with was engagement; people generally only participated if it was a game they'd always meant to play (backlog) or it was a game they just utterly loved and wanted an excuse to play again. Hence the shift to categories.
Image
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Return to Together Retro

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest