Page 2 of 5

Re: Together Retro September 2020 - Loser Handhelds

Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:48 am
by PartridgeSenpai
prfsnl_gmr wrote:The best thing about this game is that it was never released in North America.


That has been my experience with most Japan-exclusive games I've played so far :lol:

Re: Together Retro September 2020 - Loser Handhelds

Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:43 pm
by SpaceBooger
There are a couple of recently released Game Gear translations on: http://stargood.org/index.php
If anyone is looking for something new to play this month.

Re: Together Retro September 2020 - Loser Handhelds

Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:18 pm
by o.pwuaioc
PartridgeSenpai wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:The best thing about this game is that it was never released in North America.


That has been my experience with most Japan-exclusive games I've played so far :lol:

For the Game Gear or in general? There are tons of excellent games that are Japanese-only, especially shooters. I don't know much about the Japanese GG library, but GG Aleste, is supposed to be good, as is Sylvan Tale but that's an RPG.

Black Tiger lists a few others:

https://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthrea ... Exclusives

Re: Together Retro September 2020 - Loser Handhelds

Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:49 pm
by PartridgeSenpai
o.pwuaioc wrote:
PartridgeSenpai wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:The best thing about this game is that it was never released in North America.


That has been my experience with most Japan-exclusive games I've played so far :lol:

For the Game Gear or in general? There are tons of excellent games that are Japanese-only, especially shooters. I don't know much about the Japanese GG library, but GG Aleste, is supposed to be good, as is Sylvan Tale but that's an RPG.

Black Tiger lists a few others:

https://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthrea ... Exclusives


For Japanese games in general, but this is a bit of hyperbole I'll admit. It seems like a lot of Japan-exclusive games (often RPGs) I've beaten have been somewhere along the lines of "we really weren't missing out by not getting this." There are absolutely a ton of games where this isn't the case, of course.

Re: Together Retro September 2020 - Loser Handhelds

Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:53 am
by Ack
Years ago I played through the Capcom version of Cardfighter's Clash on the NGPC. For this month, I decided to to go through the SNK-centric version. It's effectively the same game, but what cards you get access to are more based around the theme or require SNK cards to unlock.

The biggest issue now is that I have to grind matches against weaker opponents in the hope of unlocking better and better cards via the game's RNG. There is a lot of this grinding matches and hoping for the best, because the game features a semifinal card tournament against three very difficult opponents with no stops between. One bad start, and you're probably going to lose the tournament and have to redo the whole challenge, so...back to the grind.

Re: Together Retro September 2020 - Loser Handhelds

Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:03 am
by prfsnl_gmr
Good to know. That game’s been on my “to beat” list for ages. Now, I’ll know what to expect when I finally dig into it.

I beat Mega Man & Bass: Challenger from the Future last night. It is not a good game for the reasons I outlined above. Moreover, it has a really downbeat ending that, strangely, ties into Mega Man II for the Gameboy. (Mega Man Shadow, the villain in this game, apparently knows Quint, one of the Mega Man killers from Mega Man II. It’s very odd.) I recommend it only to die-hard fans of the series interested in exploring the off-brand Mega Man games, and I must say that I was not particularly impressed with the WonderSwan based on my experiences with this game.

The other games I’m planning on playing this month are for the Game Gear, but I feel I should branch out a bit more. Are any of the NGPC fighters on the Nintendo Switch good? If so, which one should I get? Gals Fighter?

Re: Together Retro September 2020 - Loser Handhelds

Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:24 am
by Ack
I'm not sure what the emulation is like, but all of the NGPC fighters are solid in their own right, and Gals Fighter is a respectable title worth checking out. It represents a lot of what makes NGPC fighters so good: smooth and responsive controls, lovely SD art, and the quality you expect of an SNK fighter.

Re: Together Retro September 2020 - Loser Handhelds

Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:38 am
by prfsnl_gmr
Ack wrote:I'm not sure what the emulation is like, but all of the NGPC fighters are solid in their own right, and Gals Fighter is a respectable title worth checking out. It represents a lot of what makes NGPC fighters so good: smooth and responsive controls, lovely SD art, and the quality you expect of an SNK fighter.


Sold! :lol: I’ll give it a shot.

Re: Together Retro September 2020 - Loser Handhelds

Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:22 pm
by PartridgeSenpai
Ack wrote:Years ago I played through the Capcom version of Cardfighter's Clash on the NGPC. For this month, I decided to to go through the SNK-centric version. It's effectively the same game, but what cards you get access to are more based around the theme or require SNK cards to unlock.

The biggest issue now is that I have to grind matches against weaker opponents in the hope of unlocking better and better cards via the game's RNG. There is a lot of this grinding matches and hoping for the best, because the game features a semifinal card tournament against three very difficult opponents with no stops between. One bad start, and you're probably going to lose the tournament and have to redo the whole challenge, so...back to the grind.


Yeah, that's one of the main issues with the game, progression-wise. It's a game I really like playing just to play, so I don't mind it, but grinding out cards for the last few fights (especially some Akumas or Yamazakis) is a really big necessity.

You talking about it so much is really making me wanna replay it :lol: . Granted I don't have the original anymore, so I'd need to play through the sequel again, but that's also lots of fun :D

Re: Together Retro September 2020 - Loser Handhelds

Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:32 pm
by prfsnl_gmr
I take back what I said about Double Dragon for the Game Gear. The animation is awkward, and the hit detection is a little suspect. Also, it’s really, really tough, and more than a little buggy. (Save states are a must...the game has frozen on me three times.) It has really great enemy variety, however, and it actually requires a lot of technique. Accordingly, I’m not sure it’s completely terrible, and it might even be...pretty good?