Does Kid Icarus Deserve A Sequel? Why?

Join in on our classic gaming club!
racketboy
Site Admin

Does Kid Icarus Deserve A Sequel? Why?

Post by racketboy »

Kid Icarus usually shows up on lists of games that need sequels. (even though there was a Gameboy sequel).
Rumors have always shown up of a DS, Gamecube, or Wii sequel.
Do you think it will ever happen?
SHOULD it happen?
If so, why? or why not?
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

I say no. Between the NES and Gameboy title the series is perfect. Granted thats just the part of me fearful that a new version, which I would guess is inevitable based on Pit's inclusion in Brawl, would be a 3d platformer in the Ocarina of Time vein. While it may sound cool, I do not think it would work.

Go ahead, tell me I fear change.
wyatt
32-bit

Post by wyatt »

It would be creating an entirely new game and tying it to a franchise for recognition. Anything done with the title now would be a 100% reboot, and wouldn't have anything more in common with Kid Icarus than a few names and settings, which could be said of a few games already released. A game may be good enough for a direct console sequel or upgrade to the next gen console, but no NES game is strong enough to mandate a sequel 20 years later because the source material and the result would be radically different. If any of that makes any sense...

Doesn't mean it would be a bad game of course, could be great.
Let my legs shake me to sleep, and don't wake me when I sweat on my sheets.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

wyatt wrote:It would be creating an entirely new game and tying it to a franchise for recognition. Anything done with the title now would be a 100% reboot, and wouldn't have anything more in common with Kid Icarus than a few names and settings, which could be said of a few games already released. A game may be good enough for a direct console sequel or upgrade to the next gen console, but no NES game is strong enough to mandate a sequel 20 years later because the source material and the result would be radically different. If any of that makes any sense...

Doesn't mean it would be a bad game of course, could be great.

Kinda like the new, 3D Bionic Commando?
ott0bot
Next-Gen

Post by ott0bot »

A DS port with some updates would be well deserved. I'm thinkig a SOTN of Super Metroid kinda feel. If they made it 3d, NO WAY!!!!
Ack

Post by Ack »

While I think this is a good choice for port to a handheld and for the VC, I don't think this should get an update. It is considered a Nintendo classic, sure, but I agree that if a new version was released, it would have to be a reboot. Though, if they did do a new game, I could see the original being an unlockable feature...but I wouldn't hold my breath. Kid Icarus makes a nice retro title, and I think the series would lose some of its luster with a new game.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

ott0bot wrote:A DS port with some updates would be well deserved. I'm thinkig a SOTN of Super Metroid kinda feel. If they made it 3d, NO WAY!!!!

I think if they could pull a nice 2d "New Kid Icarus" in the vein of what "New Super Mario Bros" was to SMB, then it would be quite welcome. I already noticed that it is a quality game with actually rather distinct gameplay from other platformers I have played.

Ivo.
xraydash
32-bit

Post by xraydash »

I don't know, a 3D Kid Icarus could be good. Look at how awesome the transition was for the Metroid Prime series. Or Mario and Zelda for that matter! I see lots of potential. Flying around, shooting arrows. Sounds cool to me.
Fine

Post by Fine »

I actually hope we see it, after Brawl. I'm a fan of Pit in that game.

The series has been neglected for so long. Two games in total, and then nothing else for years and years and years. Younger people might even look at it as an original Nintendo IP instead of a franchise title. It would be nice to have a reboot of the franchise.
Stereo

Post by Stereo »

Has anyone played the PS2 Rygar? I could see a new Kid Icarus being & looking like that. One of those brawler-platformer games.. The only problem is that it would probably be hard to make a brawler when your character is mainly equpped with a bow... Maybe they should FPS it like they did with metroid? :D