Post Your Defender High Scores

Join in on our classic gaming club!
marurun

Post by marurun »

I read in the WP article that in later stages some enemies can fire shots faster than you can dodge and in those cases hyperspace is the only way to escape. Sort of a last ditch gamble.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Suetekh

Post by Suetekh »

Well last night I dug up my Atari 2600 and had a crack at that. Didn't seem too hard as it was a fairly slow pace band the graphics were rough as guts. Good for a bit of quick fun but I couldn't really see myself getting into it too much. I managed to get a score of 33,750 after about half an hour of playing.

Then tonight I thought I would give the arcade version (red label) a go on MAME (PC using keyboard) and boy oh boy, it is a completely different game! The graphics are much better, I can actually see what is going on! But the most notable difference is the speed the arcade version is much faster but there is also a lot more enemy types. I now understand why everyone is saying it is so hard. After playing for about 45 minutes my best score is 16,475 wich was a bit of a lucky run as my next lowest score is about 7,000.

Never put a gamer in charge of the office IT
Gourge Road Junkie
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

8400 - Red Label -- woohoo
Fine

Post by Fine »

So far it's 6375 on the Flash version. Blaahhhhh. I am jealous of many of you and your Defender pwnage.
kgcarini
32-bit

Post by kgcarini »

I've only been able to get 7500... :(
nocturnalnerd
64-bit

Post by nocturnalnerd »

xraydash
32-bit

Post by xraydash »

I was kinda tired today because my three year old daughter decided to scream and cry for 45 minutes in the middle of last night for no apparent reason. My reflexes were a bit dulled as a result and I was having a hard time even breaking 10k. Finally on the last game time slowed down as I entered a Defender induced trance and started kicking some serious mutant ass! I broke my record from yesterday and am now up to 22,600 on red label MAME.
wyatt
32-bit

Post by wyatt »

xraydash wrote: Defender induced trance

Yeah it's awesome how you get focused when you are doing well on games that are so difficult. Doesn't happen at all on most games (not saying every game has to be hard to be enjoyable though).
Let my legs shake me to sleep, and don't wake me when I sweat on my sheets.
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

wyatt wrote:
xraydash wrote: Defender induced trance

Yeah it's awesome how you get focused when you are doing well on games that are so difficult. Doesn't happen at all on most games (not saying every game has to be hard to be enjoyable though).

I experience it the same way when playing shooters. I call it Shooter Zen. It's almost like meditation. You don't think about anything else. You are the pilot, those bullets really mean death and your reactions peak with the constant flow of adrenaline. It's like hard drugs.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
marurun

Post by marurun »

I get a similar state I will now call Zen Panic. Meaning I get really focused, but I also get really twitchy and jerky :) And when I finally break out of the zen I have a little panic attack where every enemy or threat startles me.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.