Join in on our classic gaming club!
User avatar
Mozgus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6623
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 10:31 pm

by Mozgus Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:33 pm

Mame, Red Label, 3 lives, Xbox 360 pad, an even 16,000 on my 5th try. Can't remember the last time I really played this game. Starting to get the hang of it. Hyperspace seems as pointless as it was in Asteroids.
User avatar
xraydash
32-bit
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:25 am
Location: Covington, GA

by xraydash Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:10 pm

Mozgus wrote:Hyperspace seems as pointless as it was in Asteroids.

I seem to always hyperspace right into something that kills me. That's not so useful.
User avatar
Mozgus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6623
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 10:31 pm

by Mozgus Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:16 pm

xraydash wrote:
Mozgus wrote:Hyperspace seems as pointless as it was in Asteroids.

I seem to always hyperspace right into something that kills me. That's not so useful.
Exactly. You dont even see what kills you. You just teleport somewhere and it seems like your ship just blows up before it even fully fades in. I guess it's a self destruct button for when you're rocking too hard.
User avatar
racketboy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9344
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:28 pm
Location: Michigan

by racketboy Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:07 pm

up to 7575
Last edited by racketboy on Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
racketboy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9344
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:28 pm
Location: Michigan

by racketboy Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:08 pm

Mozgus wrote:Mame, Red Label, 3 lives, Xbox 360 pad, an even 16,000 on my 5th try.


You make me sick.
User avatar
Mozgus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6623
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 10:31 pm

by Mozgus Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:13 pm

racketboy wrote:
Mozgus wrote:Mame, Red Label, 3 lives, Xbox 360 pad, an even 16,000 on my 5th try.


You make me sick.
Haha. Well, before I totally give up on the game, I'll screenshot my high scores. My only goal is to beat the CPU highscore for 1st place.

Edit: And I did.
Image
User avatar
UBERTRON777
32-bit
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:40 pm
Location: Warrenton, VA

by UBERTRON777 Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:18 pm

My new high score is 23,500. That is pretty much all I can take from this game for today.
User avatar
marurun
Moderator
 
Posts: 9045
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 8:51 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

by marurun Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:52 pm

In the Shockwave version (http://midwayarcade.com/classic.php) I've hit 17075. With a little practice I think I can do better.

Anyone emulating the Atari 2600 version? What are your scores like?
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
User avatar
Doctor Fugue
128-bit
 
Posts: 936
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:50 pm
Location: Canada

by Doctor Fugue Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:37 pm

Mozgus wrote:
xraydash wrote:
Mozgus wrote:Hyperspace seems as pointless as it was in Asteroids.

I seem to always hyperspace right into something that kills me. That's not so useful.
Exactly. You dont even see what kills you. You just teleport somewhere and it seems like your ship just blows up before it even fully fades in. I guess it's a self destruct button for when you're rocking too hard.


It does seem a bit of hit-and-miss. I remember when I played this many years ago that using hyperspace became important later in the game when there are 3 Baiters and they are all faster than your ship.
"Your vessel, your beginning. All that you knew...is gone." - The Guardian of Forever
User avatar
xraydash
32-bit
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:25 am
Location: Covington, GA

by xraydash Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:17 pm

Pretty good day today, with these scores:

21,550
19,300
18,925
16,800
14,575

I got a lot of satisfaction out of securing that top slot of the "All Time Greatest."
Return to Together Retro

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests