Post Your Defender High Scores

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Ack

Post by Ack »

Ouch, not even in the top three anymore! Hahah, oh well, that's the way the ball bounces.

Good job, everybody! I had a lot of fun in Defender, and I hope everyone else did too. I think it lead to some valuable discussion on the evolution of side-scrolling shooters, particularly in the area of controls and the reverse button. Plus, it was a nice trip down memory lane for some of us, while for others it was a new experience with an old classic.

I think we should all take a second to contemplate the game, think about our likes and dislikes a little bit. Shooters have really come a long way, as have video games in general. Sometimes, however, you just need to throw down in a classic to really appreciate things.

Also, I'd like to congratulate Ivo, xraydash, and devilmyarse for doing so well in Red Label. This game certainly wasn't easy, but you guys really rose to the challenge.

Thanks for playing, folks, and remember: A WINNER IS YOU!
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

I'd just like to take a moment to congratulate everybody who participated in the high scores table. A lot of improvement has been seen all around and I hope everybody got as much out of this game as I did. I learnt quite a lot from playing this game and it's really sharpened my skills and reflexes.

Congratulations to Ivo for the highest score. 38k is impressive! Thanks to Ack and Xraydash for keeping me sharp and pushing me to strive for better and better scores! Overall i'm very satisfied with 3rd place. I'm just glad I could keep up with the best of the board!

I don't think I would have played this game for longer than five minutes if it wasn't for everybody being so competitive! It really did help create that arcade atmosphere and push everyone to strive for the best score possible! Which in the end is what it's all about with these games.

Also thank you suetekh for the brilliant work on the leader boards! It really helped tie everything into perspective. Without your fabulous leader board it would've been 10 times harder finding out who had the highest score in a 10 page thread plus it gave you some idea of how well you were playing compared to everyone else! Fantastic!
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
xraydash
32-bit

Post by xraydash »

devilmyarse wrote:I don't think I would have played this game for longer than five minutes if it wasn't for everybody being so competitive! It really did help create that arcade atmosphere and push everyone to strive for the best score possible! Which in the end is what it's all about with these games.

Also thank you suetekh for the brilliant work on the leader boards! It really helped tie everything into perspective. Without your fabulous leader board it would've been 10 times harder finding out who had the highest score in a 10 page thread plus it gave you some idea of how well you were playing compared to everyone else! Fantastic!

I agree wholeheartedly. It was a lot of fun trying trying to beat the best score in order to earn some well-deserved bragging rights. Good, friendly competition! And yeah, suetekh's leader board was awesome.
Suetekh

Post by Suetekh »

It was a pleasure guys!

Final Standings for those that are interested:

Congratulations again to Ivo for the amazing score, everyone else for the competitive spirit, and of course racketboy for the whole Together Retro idea!

On to the next game! :D
Never put a gamer in charge of the office IT
Gourge Road Junkie
marurun

Post by marurun »

Yes, thanks Suetekh. You really helped make the score competition feel more authentic.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

Thanks for the congrats guys, but I have to admit I got a bit lucky on that run (see the recounting of it above). Further, I think playing on keys might have given me a bit of an edge - I was using the right hand on the directional controls, which require more dexterity than just pressing fire and smart bomb which was all I did with the left (notice I was using thrust on the right hand but fire on the left).

I just noticed I got it on April 1st - despite the date I got it on, it is not fake :) I got that score without using load states (I used load states for example to bypass the "booting up" sequence of the arcade machine, but not on scoring runs).

Ivo.