Upcoming Game Club Games

Join in on our classic gaming club!
glynnahab
128-bit

Post by glynnahab »

I like the Chrono Trigger idea, but I would personally prefer Earthbound. Having never played it for more than a few minutes, I need some initiative.
Of course, nearly every SNES RPG can be mentioned in this list, and a poll might be a better way to decide which 16 bit RPG is to be played when the time comes. There are many to choose from, and it might be better to experience a game that isn't quite as mainstream as Chrono Trigger. Nearly everyone on this forum has probably already played it.
Just for the record, I would cast my lot with Illusion of Gaia. In spite of its lackluster storyline and cheesy dialogue, the game is simply fun; and the short length of it could probably keep the interest of those who aren't interested in time based battles and random encounters. Furthermore - and probably more importantly - it wouldn't require a month of dedication to complete, and we could move on to another game within a week or two.
Ack

Post by Ack »

You mean like the Lufia series, or Tales of Phantasia? Maybe Terranigma might be a good choice? They're all good games (though I liked Lufia 2 more than the first). I do like the idea of getting two weeks, especially for longer games like RPGs. It might not be enough time for the busier members to beat the game, but it's long enough to get pretty far into it.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Oh goodness. I hated Illusion of Gaia. I know lots of people hold it up as a nice Zelda alternative, but I found it annoying. They give you powers you need to get past the parts of the game where you need them, but in later levels the early powers become largely worthless as they focus on the latest one you've earned. That and the story is just balls out retarded.

Sorry, I beat this game a few years ago and gave it virtually its only mediocre (5 of 10) review on GameFaqs. It aims for a lot and had potential, but ultimately it went bust.

But that's just my opinion.

I think polling would be a good way to pick some games, but polling will probably end up turning into a popularity contest, so I would oppose using polling to pick all the games. Sometimes you just have to go with your gut and throw in an under-exposed gem.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
glynnahab
128-bit

Post by glynnahab »

marurun wrote:Oh goodness. I hated Illusion of Gaia. I know lots of people hold it up as a nice Zelda alternative, but I found it annoying. They give you powers you need to get past the parts of the game where you need them, but in later levels the early powers become largely worthless as they focus on the latest one you've earned. That and the story is just balls out retarded.

Sorry, I beat this game a few years ago and gave it virtually its only mediocre (5 of 10) review on GameFaqs. It aims for a lot and had potential, but ultimately it went bust.

But that's just my opinion.

I think polling would be a good way to pick some games, but polling will probably end up turning into a popularity contest, so I would oppose using polling to pick all the games. Sometimes you just have to go with your gut and throw in an under-exposed gem.

I agree with you on the polling. I think that it might be a good way to choose which 16 bit RPG would be next. It shouldn't be used as a method to select every game.

And I could understand your problems with Illusion of Gaia. For me, it holds a lot of nostalgia because it was the first SNES RPG I had as a teenager. I played it recently and laughed out loud at some of the ridiculousness of the story. I still think it's a fun and simple game that could fit into the time frame we're trying to set up.
mrgoodbytes
16-bit

Post by mrgoodbytes »

please stop obsessing about RPGs. Its more important to see this concept work before you throw people knee deep in some 80+ hour quest. Keep with things that can be equally enjoyed by those of us with 10 free minutes and 10 free hours.

my vote is for Xevious
7800, Jaguar, NES2, SNES, GC, Wii, GB, GBC, GBA, DS, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, 3DO, NGPC
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

mrgoodbytes wrote:please stop obsessing about RPGs. Its more important to see this concept work before you throw people knee deep in some 80+ hour quest. Keep with things that can be equally enjoyed by those of us with 10 free minutes and 10 free hours.

my vote is for Xevious

True. While I would like to have a few RPGs here and there, it should not be a very common genre in this club due to time requirements.
Even when we do, I would not expect everyone to play through the whole thing. I would set a goal for making it to a certain point and those that especially enjoyed the game could keep going on their own [non-club] time.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I think for longer games like RPGs or Mario-style many-leveled platformers (with save) we should probably set benchmarks for discussion. If everyone doesn't make it to the benchmarks that's fine. We could have a general discussion and a staggered set of discussion topics.

Man, this whole thinking thing is hard.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
mrgoodbytes
16-bit

Post by mrgoodbytes »

It just struck me, awsome example of a score based early game that can be enjoyed by any level of time commitment, and doesnt fall under the stupid hard difficulty level

Midnight Madness on the 2600
7800, Jaguar, NES2, SNES, GC, Wii, GB, GBC, GBA, DS, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, 3DO, NGPC
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Also known as Midnight Magic, mrgoodbytes I never would have taken you as a fan of the silver. Well atleast the digital silver.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

How about:
Clash at Demonhead
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.