Together Retro March 2020 - The Arcade @ Home on 8/16-bit

Join in on our classic gaming club!
SpaceBooger

Re: Together Retro March 2020 - The Arcade @ Home on 8/16-bi

Post by SpaceBooger »

marurun wrote:I'm going to let the 32x count, since it cannot exist without the Genesis.

So, Star Wars Arcade in "Arcade Mode" for the 32x counts, correct?
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:A BIG reason the Famicom Mini sucks: no Bubble Bobble on that thing. It doesn't even have Donkey Kong Jr.! An absolute CRIME if I've ever heard of one :lol:

YOU KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS
time to get a twin fami like a mf baws!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
PartridgeSenpai wrote:A BIG reason the Famicom Mini sucks: no Bubble Bobble on that thing. It doesn't even have Donkey Kong Jr.! An absolute CRIME if I've ever heard of one :lol:

YOU KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS

We've been over this: Either you buy me one, or I'm never owning one :b

Why buy a whole new console when I already have all the Bubble Bobble I could ask for? :lol:
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:

YOU KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS

We've been over this: Either you buy me one, or I'm never owning one :b

Why buy a whole new console when I already have all the Bubble Bobble I could ask for? :lol:

I understand the sentiment, but I've heard you say before that you're not buying anymore systems....only for you to come back later and say you bought another system :wink:
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Michi wrote:I understand the sentiment, but I've heard you say before that you're not buying anymore systems....only for you to come back later and say you bought another system :wink:

Outside of that, I think I've seen one Twin Famicom in the time I've been here. It ain't exactly cheap and neither are the games on it. 8-bit stuff has never been super enthralling to me, and if I do ever wanna go back and play that sorta stuff, I'll just emulate it. I just can't get into that old B and C-tier 8-bit stuff the way y'all can. I just don't have the nostalgia for that era's eccentricities.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

When it comes to classic arcade ports, I feel like Sega is where it's at and I have a big soft spot for Sega Master System arcade ports. I see myself playing some Shinobi quasi-seriously, maybe Bubble Bobble and Time Soldiers.

I've got questions about two games though:
Choplifter for SMS is a port of the arcade version... which is itself a remake of a PC game.
Darius for Sega Genesis wasn't officially released in the 16-bit era but did appear on the Sega Genesis Mini, technically making it a very recent/non-retro game.
Do either of those count for this month?
marurun

Post by marurun »

Gonna day yes to both Choplifter and Darius. Some good Darius action on PC Engine, too.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

I played some arcade stuff on my NES Classic today~

I played some Donkey Kong, which is something I've never played too much of outside of DK64, so it was kinda strange to not have the 50m stage there at all.

Donkey Kong Jr. is a game I had as one of my first games on my Wii VC, so going back and playing that was a nice burst of nostalgia ^w^

Mario Bros. is a game I played a lot of on the Mario Advance games, but I've barely ever played the original arcade game or the NES version. The NES version is SO much harder, omg. Still lots of fun, but it was a weird sense of nostalgia on what I remember the GBA version being like.

I played through Bubble Bobble all the way to level 100 and I threw up my hands at the final boss. After like 15 or so minutes of trying, I managed to beat the boss' first phase, but even save-stating right as the second phase starts, I got basically nowhere fighting his second phase. That boss fight almost feels like a parody of what old games are imagined to be, where they're these cutesy games with horrifically difficult boss battles you can barely win :lol: . I might've stuck it out if I didn't know that I would've had to just go through the entire game again and then fight an even harder version of that boss. I enjoyed the first 50 levels or so until it started to get a bit un-fun levels of difficult. A fun game, but the arcade-y roots definitely shine through in how frustrating it can be. At least it has infinite continues though.
marurun

Post by marurun »

So, are there any particular kinds of games people would like help finding on their home consoles? Taito-style single-screen action puzzlers? Side-scrolling platformers? Shooters? Super scaler ports?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I have been messing around with various 16-bit ports of arcade shmups and this morning finally played through the entirety of one of them: Darius for the Sega Genesis (on the Sega Genesis mini). I have played a few games in the Darius series before (I really dig some of the newer ones like Dariusburst), but I don't think I've ever spent much time with the original entry (and certainly not with any of its home ports). I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was one of the best looking and smoothest Genesis horis on the system - I'd rank it up there with the Thunder Force series of games and with stuff like Gaiares, Zero Wing, etc. I played through the Arcade mode (with the easier ship), but I expect to give it a go through some of the other modes that are available at some point in the near future. The boss rush looks like it would be fun...

Incidentally, this is the month that the TG-16 mini is supposed to ship, so I am looking forward to continuing to play games in this vein this month once I have that plugged in and ready to rock. Is anyone else expecting that to arrive at their door soon?