Join in on our classic gaming club!
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro, Jan 20: 2010 RETRO!

by PartridgeSenpai Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:32 pm

I didn't beat it this this month, but I beat it close enough to the end of last month that I'm gonna talk about it here :lol:

Shantae: Risky's Revenge came out in 2010, and is pretty underwhelming as far as Metroidvanias go (as I talk about here). That said, I suppose it's somewhat appropriate of an ushering in of such an incredible decade for Metroidvanias in a post-Igavania world (well, a post-Igavania world until this year :lol: ). We started the decade hella low, and only went (mostly) up from there! Not an exceptional game, but an interesting look into where one of my favorite genres was a decade ago~
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
PretentiousHipster
32-bit

by PretentiousHipster Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:47 pm

Oddly enough I was planning on starting Red Dead Redemption sometime today or tomorrow. I do reviews in the form of YouTube videos. Is it cool if I post it here when I'm done with the game to show my thoughts on it? Or would you just prefer a shorter written summary.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:35 pm

Both! :lol:

Personally, I think a short written statement and a link to your video here and in the “games beaten” thread would be pretty cool.
TheSSNintendo
128-bit

by TheSSNintendo Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:28 pm

Beat the game back in 2014, but I am going to play through Ys: Oath in Felghana again. Although it will probably be on Steam.
pook99
64-bit

by pook99 Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:06 pm

I actually bought Nier today for xbox 360 which, coincidentally, came out in 2010, unfortunately I found that the disc drive in my 360 is broken so I will need to pick up a new system.

In the meantime I am going to spend tomorrow playing xbla games and there is a game called comic jumper which released in 2010, I don't remember much about it, but my xbox avatar is the main character of this game so I must have really enjoyed it on release, I guess I will find out how well it aged tomorrow.
PretentiousHipster
32-bit

by PretentiousHipster Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:10 pm

Red Dead Redemption came flooding back to me when I played it for like an hour today. Some minor graphical hiccups early on but other than that it's fantastic. I did get Kirby's Epic Yarn recently and should get around to that too.

Alan Wake and Deadly Premonition should be amusing as well as both came out in 2010 and have references to Twin Peaks.

I already had my very long "to play" list, and 4 video game reviews to make own my channel, but I might as well add those games while I still wait for the retrotink to come in the mail.
lordb0rb4
32-bit

by lordb0rb4 Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:56 pm

As stated before, i kicked off with Gladiator Begins and it's great so far, very arcade/button masher and a very convincing atmosphere of the life of a Gladiator, played for 18 in-game days and decided to try out on the PPSSPP emulator and it did wonders to the game, it was a breeze to transfer my save over and now i'm playing it @1080p almost flawlessly!
I'm queueing up other games that i have never played before and i hope i'm able to at least try them out, including Final Fantasy XIII (Good lord, 50gb over STEAM) and Vancouver 2010 since my last game of it's kind was Master System's Winter Olympic : ()
PretentiousHipster
32-bit

by PretentiousHipster Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:04 pm

I think they did some sort of typo in Red Dead Redemption. They said to meet with the musician in the saloon. Then... this happened

He's not a MUSician, he's a MAGician.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:10 pm

I'm not ready to start an RPG just yet since I'm still working through Alundra. So instead, I finally got SUPER MEAT BOY!

Man, this game's aesthetic and sense of humor feels *really* dated and takes me back to being in college when being edgy and gross was generally acknowledged to be the same thing as being witty. The main character is made of bloody meat, the villain is called "Dr. Fetus." That, along with the fact that the game is reputed to be BRUTALLY DIFFICULT have long turned me off of playing it, though it was (is?) highly regarded as one of the best of the puzzle platformers.
Anyway, I played through the first chapter tonight and found it pretty enjoyable. I already died a bunch, but the game isn't making me want to tear my hair out or anything just yet.
My main concern is playing through the main game. I can worry about collecting all the bandages, "dark world" levels, and warp zones after that, if I'm feeling motivated.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:05 am

@lordb0rb4: I didn't realize Final Fantasy XIII was already ten years old. Damn. Anyway, I actually liked that one quite a bit. Don't get me wrong - it has its problems. But I enjoyed it. I definitely felt like it was a nice show piece for the 360/PS3 era hardware anyway. (That said, XIII-2 is even better).

@Hipster: Yikes. I spent most of my RDR time in the saloon playing cards. But I wouldn't bother gambling against a dude who can do THAT.
Return to Together Retro