December Together Retro - Robots Fighting Robots!

Join in on our classic gaming club!
MrPopo

Re: December Together Retro - Robots Fighting Robots!

Post by MrPopo »

I managed to get Heavy Gear working last night; someone worked up a DxWnd profile that works pretty flawlessly, though you do have to play in a window or else you get a weird overscan issue and can't see the edges. It's interesting how you clearly have an upgraded version of the MechWarrior 2 engine at its core, but the gameplay is quite different. The mechs aren't kings of the battlefield like in BattleTech; instead you have a tradeoff of mobility vs. armor and firepower. Tanks have much heavier armor than the mechs, and generally carry bigger guns. But the mechs can literally run circles around the tanks, so that's your balance. I've only done one mission plus the training missions, so it'll be interesting to see how the flow of the game proceeds.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
marurun

Post by marurun »

noiseredux wrote:Ha, no. All the US Ninty consoles have my TV inputs filled.

Oh, you GOTTA keep your inputs filled! Definitely!

What were we talking about, again?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Popping in to acknowledge the awesomeness that is Gun Hazard. In my mind, it absolutely takes the crown as the best SNES game we never officially got in English.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Sarge! Join us! We’re playing robot games!
lordb0rb4
32-bit

Post by lordb0rb4 »

I have to thank our good friend Ack for this AMAZING experience:
Cybernator is AWESOME , had an absolute blast.
Have to admit, i used the credits cheat since it was advertised by retroarch but had fun nonetherless, the slow and methodical pace was trully refreshing!
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I'd recommend Metal Warriors if you liked Cybernator.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
lordb0rb4
32-bit

Post by lordb0rb4 »

MrPopo wrote:I'd recommend Metal Warriors if you liked Cybernator.

Played this a LONG time ago, 20+ years, cheking this out this month for sure!
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

noiseredux wrote:Image

I really like this game, especially the simple proto-Smash Brothers way the moves work. It's one of my favorite Famicom exclusives.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I beat Vectorman tonight. The difficulty, ultimately, wasn’t THAT bad, and I could beat most levels on my first attempt. The game likes to throw you into completely new situations with completely different control schemes pretty much at random, however, and you will burn through a lot of lives trying to figure out what to do. Since there are no continues, this is a problem, and it caused me to use save states between levels. These glaring design flaws, combined with the more minor design flaws (e.g., the view is too zoomed in to see where you’re going, the “normal” levels are all pretty much the same, etc.), make the game hard to recommend. I d, however, think the graphics have stood up well, and the game, particularly in the later levels, looks quite impressive.

After I beat Vectorman, I started Vectorman 2 (which doesn’t count for this TR because, in Vectorman 2, your enemies are insects), and...my god...it’s like the developer, Blue Sky Software thought: “You know what was wrong with Vectorman? It wasn’t frustrating enough! Also, it was too easy to see where you’re going. I think we can fix that for the sequel...”
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

A lot of the Western-developed Sega-published stuff is pretty subpar. Beautiful games but with really questionable difficulty and mechanics. Vectorman is okay, but it makes me wish I was just playing Donkey Kong Country.

Played a little Blood Gear. This is a really solid game. It's structured like Exile (one of my favorites ever) with alternating top-down towns and sidescrolling combat stages. It's an oddly relaxing experience; the chilled out music helps. I just dunno if I can trudge through 6-7 hours with my rudimentary Japanese skills.