September Together Retro: Ready To Launch

Join in on our classic gaming club!
lordb0rb4
32-bit

Re: September Together Retro: Ready To Launch

Post by lordb0rb4 »

Today i've managed to beat Pilotwings 64 for the first time, and i must say that it is now one of THE most enjoyable experiences playing games that i've ever had.
It runs great on Mednafen emulator and the filter gives the game a very authentic feel and look.
Mario 64 get the most praise (rightfully so) but Pilotwings 64 is nothing short of breathtaking.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Nice. I really need to play that one. I loved the first game in the series, and it’s somewhat baffling to me why I’ve never spent much time with its sequels.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

that's some glowing praise, dude! Maybe I'll check it out. It's on Switch Online now.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Any iteration of Earthworm Jim sucks balls. It's pure 90s Western platforming jank. Overly long "funny" animations, goofy "mascot" hero, cluttered "is it a cartoon or a game?!" graphical style, and slow sluggish garbage gameplay. I feel like it was one of those games that was hyped by Nintendo Power and the like way back when... but I've never met anyone who sincerely enjoys it.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

*Raises hand*

At the risk of taking some shit amidst the hate fest, I genuinely love Earthworm Jim. It is among my favorite genesis games. First game was better than the second, but both are great (and I'm ignoring the gbc and n64 games).

Just point me towards the firing squad.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

CFFJR wrote:*Raises hand*

At the risk of taking some shit amidst the hate fest, I genuinely love Earthworm Jim. It is among my favorite genesis games. First game was better than the second, but both are great (and I'm ignoring the gbc and n64 games).

lol. Well, out of curiosity, what do you love about them? And how do you perceive my specific complaints?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

No shit shall be given. It's okay to like things.

@prfsnl_gmr
Basic Math and Fun With Numbers are identical right? Weird to see a 2600 game with two different Atari-given titles (no Sears). I wonder why that is.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Pilotwings 64 is a pretty easy game to find around here for real' cheap. I think you've convinced me to pick it up sometime ^w^

The Earthworm Jim games are just okay to me. For all the okay and even good fun parts they have, a routine experience of playing through either of the first two is entering a stage and saying "AW FECK, this level".
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
lordb0rb4
32-bit

Post by lordb0rb4 »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Nice. I really need to play that one. I loved the first game in the series, and it’s somewhat baffling to me why I’ve never spent much time with its sequels.

If you referring to Pilotwings, please do my friend, even though i own the first game i'm yet to play it properly but Pilotwings 64 is a gem.
I may have to give Pilotwings Resort a go after all.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:

No shit shall be given. It's okay to like things.

@prfsnl_gmr
Basic Math and Fun With Numbers are identical right? Weird to see a 2600 game with two different Atari-given titles (no Sears). I wonder why that is.

Yes. They are the same game. I think that they changed the name because, “Fun with Numbers” sounds a lot more appealing than “Basic Math” (and way, way more appealing than the Sears title, “MATH”). Can you imagine how disappointed some kid would be to get that game as a present? :lol: